Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Employee Uniforms Coming.....2011

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2009, 12:00 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by unitedfa
I fail to understand by you feel it is appropriate to post information from an internal company memo?
It really wasn't a memo, rather an email sent to all employees. The normal non-disclosure paragraph on internal documents was not part of it.
Old Sep 26, 2009, 8:17 pm

Programs: CX SL, AB Gold, AF/KL FB Silver, HU/HX Silver, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by TA
I think the Lufthansa uniform is relatively elegant looking, for the FAs. Maybe it's just the bright yellow tied scarf they wear that makes it cool.
Yeah, I like it too. But......yellow and gray don't really represent UA.
Old Sep 26, 2009, 11:53 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by JetAway
It might be a good idea to make it as much like the CO uniform as possible, thereby cutting down on likely future costs.
Which is pure speculation and has no factual merit.

Why can't there be any threads about UA's future without CO or a merger being brought in? And when there is, why does UA have to do what CO says? What makes them large and in charge?
Old Sep 27, 2009, 10:25 am

how about more order

how about more militaristic uniforms, more naval with a dark color for winter and light color for summer... also how about ranks and real responsibilities for pursers with a uniform that displays the higher rank

this would help give more responsibility and order perhaps

how about actually having a boss on the flight; instead of assigning a purser for the day, make it a real supervisor position?

as for the dark uniform, something other than navy blue or if navy blue, with some accent color(s)
Old Sep 27, 2009, 11:03 am

Programs: second-tier member of various hotel and airline programs
Speaking as a woman, I would like to see clothing for the female cabin staff that reflects the FA's primary duty -- securing and maintaining the safety of passengers while in the plane. So -- anything with a skirt should be selected for comfort and decency (in case an FA has to get down on the ground, or bend over). Shoes should NOT have high heels (perhaps this has already been addressed by the FA union -- I seem to see more sensible shoes than before) and clothing should be selected on the basis that styles look OK with comfort shoes and not high heels.

Taken as a job family, female cabin staff on airlines seem to be stuck with some of the most inappropriate and misogynistic uniforms of any service industry I can imagine -- which suggests to me that airlines still think they should pander primarily to male boardroom mentality. Personally, I would rather be told what to do with my carry-on bag by someone in clean running shoes and well-fitting pants that have a little Lycra in them.

Ask Eileen Fisher to design the female FA uniforms -- her demographic matches UA's cabin staff perfectly.
Old Sep 27, 2009, 11:26 am

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by the cranky banker
Ask Eileen Fisher to design the female FA uniforms -- her demographic matches UA's cabin staff perfectly.
Or Julia Child for mainline and Brit Spears for Express?

Last edited by fastair; Sep 27, 2009 at 11:34 am
Old Sep 27, 2009, 11:29 am

Programs: UA G
the cranky banker, I think a good point of reference for "comfortable and functional FA uniforms" would be the Southwest uniforms. From my experience, it seems to be a loose polo or button down shirt, khakis, and comfortable walking shoes.
Old Sep 27, 2009, 1:44 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by PDXUAFAN
how about actually having a boss on the flight; instead of assigning a purser for the day, make it a real supervisor position?
Wouldn't they have to negotiate with the union for that, and offer additional compensation? Maybe it's cheaper for UA to do it the way you suggest it's done now.
Old Sep 27, 2009, 3:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: My views are not those of United Airlines or UAL Corp
Originally Posted by PDXUAFAN
how about more militaristic uniforms, more naval with a dark color for winter and light color for summer... also how about ranks and real responsibilities for pursers with a uniform that displays the higher rank

this would help give more responsibility and order perhaps

as for the dark uniform, something other than navy blue or if navy blue, with some accent color(s)
Actually, Pursers do not have a higher rank than any other FA. Any FA can be a purser. Also, being a Purser in no way what so ever makes a FA a supervisor. Now, there is a Qualified Purser Program. FA's who volunteer for this program go for a few days of extra training. But really, the Pursers main responsibility onboard is to be the cabin/cockpit liason, make announcements, take meal orders, deal with pax problems, and assist where needed in the cabin. Just because they are the purser does not mean that they are "in charge" of the rest of the flight crew.
Old Sep 27, 2009, 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by UAflyer06
Actually, Pursers do not have a higher rank than any other FA. Any FA can be a purser. Also, being a Purser in no way what so ever makes a FA a supervisor. Now, there is a Qualified Purser Program. FA's who volunteer for this program go for a few days of extra training. But really, the Pursers main responsibility onboard is to be the cabin/cockpit liason, make announcements, take meal orders, deal with pax problems, and assist where needed in the cabin. Just because they are the purser does not mean that they are "in charge" of the rest of the flight crew.
Flight attendants do volunteer for the purser program but the company sets the passing mark to become "purser qualified". It's not simply going for a few days of extra training - - its a long process - - I remember back when the program started only 30-40% of each class would pass.

-IFLYUA
Old Sep 27, 2009, 5:49 pm
Formerly known as CollegeFlyer

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by nnn
The 1968 uniform was pretty slick.

http://www.uniformfreak.com/1united.html
Or, how about a random assortment of bright colors like EVA AIR?

http://www.uniformfreak.com/1evaair.html

Originally Posted by the cranky banker
Speaking as a woman, I would like to see clothing for the female cabin staff that reflects the FA's primary duty -- securing and maintaining the safety of passengers while in the plane.
I do not believe that that is the primary duty of an FA, whether male or female. I believe that the "FAs are primarily here for your safety" is just a line used by some FAs to lower passengers' expectations for service, and make their own jobs easier.

It may be the case that ensuring passenger safety is the most critical FA duty, in the sense that that's why the FAA requires FAs to be on flights. But the FAs' primary duty, in the sense of what an FA should be expected to be spending most of his/her time working on during most flights, is ensuring passenger comfort.

So, while I don't think uniforms should be misogynistic, I think it is appropriate that they reflect professionalism and/or service. Rather than just being functional and safety-oriented (like the nurses' uniforms that I think were worn by early female FAs).

Last edited by iluv2fly; Sep 27, 2009 at 6:41 pm Reason: merge
Old Sep 27, 2009, 7:13 pm

Programs: Mlife Plat,Total Rewards Diamond, UA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Hertz 5*, Avis Presidents C
Originally Posted by gras
I hear you, but unfortunately today's FAs are not the stewardesses of years gone by. Now, they are baggage handlers, traffic cops, head cooks & bottle washers. Anything light is going to immediately show the wear and tear of several flights/day.
I disagree. Today's FAs are in most cases precisely the same individuals that were stewardesses in years gone by. You will find the same name and date of birth in their employee record that you would have seen in 1965.

I do agree that the job functions have changed though.

seriously though. I read somewhere that the "military look" of the uniforms helps them to have authority during emergencies - so I think that's good. Maybe the employees would have more pride in the uniform if a bunch of employee designs were submitted and then the employees got to vote and choose the winning designs. That's what we did at Trader Joe's.
Old Sep 27, 2009, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
[This post is NOT meant to be derogatory in any way against the people in uniform.]

The current dresses make flight attendants who are anything but thin look like furniture. Since I first saw them, on day 1 I commented that those uniforms made the FAs look like couches. Certainly UA can do better than this. They are the most unflattering shmatas that a FA ever had to wear.
Old Sep 27, 2009, 7:52 pm

Programs: UA G-1MM/*G, B6 Mosaicm, DL G, HH S, Bonvoy(...?) Plat, Avis PS, Hertz 5*, Nat ExVIP
Oh, please... bring back those lovely box pleated jumpers.

Timothy

I so miss my transcontinental cheerleading uniforms.
Old Sep 27, 2009, 8:17 pm

Programs: HiltonHonors, IHG Hotels, DL Skymiles
Originally Posted by unavaca
the cranky banker, I think a good point of reference for "comfortable and functional FA uniforms" would be the Southwest uniforms. From my experience, it seems to be a loose polo or button down shirt, khakis, and comfortable walking shoes.
===========================================
Nooooooooooo.......it would be like Burger King of the Skies.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.