Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Purser Ruined My flight!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2009, 2:11 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum/ DL Silver
I would complain. It's not the fact that they ran out of omelets, it is the fact that the he lied about it. People tend to be much more forgiving when you're honest with them as opposed to be lied to about the situation. When you the customer let's the staff who are supposed to be serving him pull all these stunts then no lesson is learned.

I had a situation when I was staying at the W French Quarter and HBO wasn't coming in. As an Entourage fanatic I requested that the tv be fixed so I could watch my show 7 hours from request. I called the hotel and 5 hours later and they said it was good to go and even reminded me about the start time being different than the east coast. Well I get back to the hotel room and HBO isn't working. I was livid. I was on the other side of the quarter when I left to come back to the hotel. I made sure everyone at the hotel who had any clout knew my displeasure. The chief engineer even came out and tried to explain the situation to me. He explained it and it came out that the engineer who actually "did" the repairs couldn't have fixed it. I was refunded my money for the stay and given 15000 starpoints. Thats why I don't let lies slide.
Old Sep 23, 2009, 2:43 pm

Location: Currently: DCA (+IAD/BWI). Before that: FNL (+DEN/COS). Before that: HVN (+BDL/LGA/EWR/JFK).
Programs: UA 1K, DL Gold, Hertz Five Star, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by bmvaughn
If you don't write about this, no one except those on this board will know and it will do little if nothing to affect change.
I believe you meant, "to effect change."
Old Sep 23, 2009, 2:48 pm

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
Originally Posted by tjtenor4
I believe you meant, "to effect change."
That's write.
Old Sep 23, 2009, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Fredd the issue is when you order a meal and then TOLD you didn't and the FA lied many times there is an issue. ALso the FA are suppose to tell you thier full names when asked.

Originally Posted by Fredd
I think that's the key issue, and don't forget to mention in your pithy letter that when you asked about BOB from Y you were told you'd have to pay for it. We often tell the FA that we're flexible about meals, and any time they've taken us up on that they've always taken the time to return to let us know, sometimes even asking if we're sure it's okay.

Accepting you at your word ("I am not a complainer") and presuming you didn't confront the employee rudely, I think this experience is worth a letter of complaint. Your "first class" experience SFO-HNL was really marred if not ruined by all this.

Cheers,
Fredd
Old Sep 23, 2009, 3:17 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by JeffS
I fail to understand the purpose of posting about it here accomplishes. No one here can resolve or address the issue.
Now that UA has an office of PR employees monitoring this forum, I would hope they'd reach out to the OP and bring this to a satisfactory resolution. Haven't they done that with some other posts here?
Old Sep 23, 2009, 3:40 pm

Programs: HHonors, Hyatt GP, Marriott, Varying Levels w/ UA /AF /DL /SQ /AA
If I don't get my choice of meal, I don't let it ruin my flight. It happens and I can either eat what is available or not. My choice.

If the flight attendant is abrubt or seemingly not very cordial, I don't let it ruin my flight. I can let it upset me or not. My choice.

"Someone" or something doesn't ruin my flight.
Wow. This sounds so much more karmically evolved than the OP. Condescending comes to mind, too. Your choice.

You should prolly go back and read the original post. The issue wasn't meal choice and lack of cordiality, the issue was being told an untruth where an untruth wasn't necessary. The OP had a reasonable expectation that something would happen, and it didn't - and it was exacerbated by a lie; a promised benefit wasn't delivered - an untruth was given as the reason. That would bum out many people. And they have a right to emote. You know, the whole "people are different" thing...So while some people are above emoting about it, some aren't.

If the OP wants to send a letter to UA to complain or advise about the actions of the FA then send the letter. I fail to understand the purpose of posting about it here accomplishes. No one here can resolve or address the issue. And, it is unfair and against the TOS to post names of employees. I would expect the Mods to adress this issue here.
I missed the part where the OP asked anyone here to address the issues (though the UA PR people who 'participate' here could). Sometimes people post here to vent and/or look for commiseration. The boards aren't just for problem-solving, though they're most useful when they're used for that.

I, too, hope calitequilasippergirl writes a letter.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Sep 24, 2009 at 1:25 pm Reason: off-topic
Old Sep 23, 2009, 3:48 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA MM Gold, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by TravelinWilly
Wow. This sounds so much more karmically evolved than the OP. Condescending comes to mind, too. Your choice.
More like I find it interesting how people will blame someone else for how they react to a given situation.

You should prolly go back and read the original post.
I really don't care to reread the OP. I didn't miss anything the first time through. Sometimes you don't get your choice of meal.

As to the assertions by some here that the FA was "lying", this is another interesting occurence on FT. The OP can't possibly be misrembering, or heaven forfend lying. It must be the FA. How about maybe we don't have enough facts to determine what happened let alone start accusing people of lying. The only thing we do know here is that we really don't know what happened other than what some anonymous person claims ocurred. Maybe it was exactly as in the OP. Maybe not.

Originally Posted by tom911
Now that UA has an office of PR employees monitoring this forum, I would hope they'd reach out to the OP and bring this to a satisfactory resolution. Haven't they done that with some other posts here?
In my opinion posting complaints here are a waste of time for the complaintant since no one here can actually do anything to resolve the issue. Just cut out the middle man.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Sep 23, 2009 at 5:11 pm Reason: merge
Old Sep 23, 2009, 3:53 pm

Programs: Hilton diamond, UA 1P
Isn't obsessing over minutiae the whole point of FT? Having a place to vent is a wonderful thing and maybe the airlines can learn a thing or 2 about what really annoys people....it's the little things in life....
Old Sep 23, 2009, 3:54 pm

Programs: HHonors, Hyatt GP, Marriott, Varying Levels w/ UA /AF /DL /SQ /AA
More like I find it interesting how people will blame someone else for how they react to a given situation.

I really don't care to reread the OP. I didn't miss anything the first time through. Sometimes you don't get your choice of meal.

As to the assertions by some here that the FA was "lying", this is another interesting occurence on FT. The OP can't possibly be misrembering, or heaven forfend lying. It must be the FA. How about maybe we don't have enough facts to determine what happened let alone start accusing people of lying. The only thing we do know here is that we really don't know what happened other than what some anonymous person claims ocurred. Maybe it was exactly as in the OP. Maybe not.
Old Sep 23, 2009, 4:06 pm

If you have an "allergy" you need to order a special meal. No compensation should be given if you do not get your first choice in meals. If that "ruins" your flight you really have bigger problems to deal with. Get over it.
Old Sep 23, 2009, 4:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, RCC, PreChk , Hertz 5* Gold, HH Silver, SPG Gold thx to Amex Plat
Personally, I would be happy that the UG cleared 2 days prior to the flight. Also, I'd rather have my second choice meal sitting in F, than a first choice snack box in Y.

Last edited by l etoile; Sep 24, 2009 at 1:11 pm Reason: Removed name per TOS
Old Sep 23, 2009, 4:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, SPG Platinum, National Executive
Originally Posted by gomike
If you have an "allergy" you need to order a special meal. No compensation should be given if you do not get your first choice in meals. If that "ruins" your flight you really have bigger problems to deal with. Get over it.
That has nothing to do with this thread. Re-read the OP thoroughly, and maybe then you'll understand exactly what ruined the flight.

If it were me, I'd be pretty angry, and would do more than just write to 1P or 1K voice.
Old Sep 23, 2009, 6:51 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by MBS PremExec
There are worse things than not getting a meal. I save my complaints for bigger issues--when they come up, you don't look so much like a perpetual complainer.
I don't give a hoot if I am branded a "complainer." Better that title than one who continually accepts mediocrity and crap service/attitudes.

Originally Posted by exbayern
I used to bother to write which sometimes netted me a coupon or miles back, but now I don't bother.
Apathy. If those of us with status don't call buffoons like this purser out, they will continue to make up their own rules and do whatever they damn well please in flight.

Originally Posted by jsgoldbe
Too bad there are a few bad eggs (pun intended) in the UA FA ranks, but there seems to be no way to correct this bad behavior.
I disagree. Plus, I am glad there is a community such as FlyerTalk which educates me on proper procedure. The more people that call out bad behavior such as that displayed by this purser, the less likely it will be repeated.

Originally Posted by bmvaughn
If you don't write about this, no one except those on this board will know and it will do little if nothing to affect change.
For this comment, I could not agree more. ^ My thoughts exactly.
Old Sep 23, 2009, 8:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hertz 5* Gold, HH Diamond
I, too, hope calitequilasippergirl writes a letter.
Me too. Please let us know what response (if any) you receive.
Old Sep 23, 2009, 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by ExCrew
Apathy. If those of us with status don't call buffoons like this purser out, they will continue to make up their own rules and do whatever they damn well please in flight.
I stopped following up because for two years UA threw certs at me and never FIXED the problem. I even declined the compensation and asked repeatedly that the investigate and FIX the problem rather than just continue to throw compensation at passengers. After two years, I think that I did my part.

I would frankly rather than UA make an effort to fix issues rather than just issue a canned response and a canned compensation. Of course it requires passengers to alert them to their issues, but after a reasonable amount of time I think that it is justified to realise that the airline doesn't have interest in fixing the problem.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.