Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Purser Ruined My flight!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2009, 2:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA-LEP,United-1K Again!, USAIR-CHRMN, MW Plat Prem, SW-Gold, Hilton-Silver, Hertz-Platnium
Purser Ruined My flight!

So, I was on the flight Monday morning from SFO to HNL. Upgrade cleared two days out. Awesome. Boarded flight. While in line, talked to two nice young men who had recently started a project in HNL and had just made Premier recently. There were excited because they had earned their First Upgrade Coupons. They were fresh out of college and new to the 'game'.

Fast forward to the flight. I sat next to a nice young man who worked for a company I used to work for and was in a similar line of work. We were having a great conversation playing the "do you know" game. The pursuer <name deleted by moderator per TOS> journeyed the cabin to ask what each of us wanted for breakfast. Our choices were a fruit plate or an omelet. I have a citrus allergy so I selected the omelet. I should have known this was going to be the start of a bad flight. He couldn't hear me and made no attempt to come closer to attempt to do so. About 20 minutes later, another flight attendant brings out my meal and my seatmate. Both fruit plates. I politely told her that I had ordered an omelet. She went and got the order form and asked if I changed my mind because because the O had been crossed out and replaced with a F. I assured her that wasn't the case. She went and got the pursuer. He comes over, and no crappin ... said 'Yeah, well I needed to change your order because we ran out of Omelets. We have alot of 1K's and GS's and you had the lowest status in First Class (as a newly minted Premier Executive). I asked nicely why he didn't let me know. He said, "I was too busy". I asked if I could order something to the back (after explaining my allergy) and he told me yes, but I would have to pay for it! I noticed the two young men I was talking to had omelets. I very politely approached the pursuer and asked if the omelets were passed out by status, why they got them and I didn't. He said "I said you had the lowest status". I said, but I don't, they do. He told me to take my seat. As I was sitting back down, the couple in front of me asked what the issue was. I told them. They told me they had bought coach tickets and had been gifted 15k miles each from a friend as a wedding present (for upgrades) and that they had just joined UMP so that the points could be transfered. So, now we have FOUR people who have less status than me with omelets!! I decided to let it be and just write a letter. When I went up to politely ask the purser his name, he didn't respond at first. He said "You can write, but they are going to tell you the same thing I told you". I told him it wasn't fruitful to continue discussing it. I asked him what his name was again, he paused for a moment and said Mr. <name deleted by mod per TOS>. I don't know if he really was Mr XXX <name deleted by mod per TOS> or not, but I didn't appreciate his lack of communication, rudeness, or out right lies. He ruined what was actually a great flight. The flight attendant came up multiple times and apologized for what happened.

I am writing United to ask for my upgrade coupons back because I was not provided the first class service or amenities that my coupon's bought. What do you think my chances are?

Last edited by l etoile; Sep 24, 2009 at 12:56 pm Reason: TOS
Old Sep 23, 2009, 2:53 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by calitequilasippergirl

I am writing United to ask for my upgrade coupons back because I was not provided the first class service or amenities that my coupon's bought. What do you think my chances are?
Close to zero. What you will get is a poorly worded form response that in no way comes remotely close to addressing the core concern (ie rude/lies by the purser) follewed by something along the lines of: we value your business as a premier exec, blah blah, and maybe throw you a 500 or two or maybe a $100-150 voucher.
Old Sep 23, 2009, 3:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA-LEP,United-1K Again!, USAIR-CHRMN, MW Plat Prem, SW-Gold, Hilton-Silver, Hertz-Platnium
You are probably right! Oh Well.
Old Sep 23, 2009, 4:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
You are probably right! Oh Well.
A little too much of the pessimist there, IMO. If you write the letter well, focused on a rude, inattentive and lying FA (describe the person as well as recount the name given) you should receive both a response and something for your troubles, likely a $100 Cert or something like that (actually could be higher). Ask for the return of the CR-1, miles or whatever you used if that's your preference. G'Luck.

btw - you are supposed to be allowed to get a snackbox in lieu of your meal, make sure you mention the attitude and that you were charged for it

Last edited by GoingAway; Sep 23, 2009 at 4:49 am
Old Sep 23, 2009, 4:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL GM, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat
I would write, be sure to include the "name" he gave you, your info, including flight number, seat number and ticket number (if you have it). If he lied about his name, that's another strike against him. Be sure to ask for your upgrade instrument back.

How was the flight home?
Old Sep 23, 2009, 5:44 am
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

I have asked for my upgrade instrument back and have received it back - twice. I would shorten your letter but keep in all the details about uncovering the status of others. I think this shows you are highly educated about the program and will increase your chances of getting what you ask for.
Old Sep 23, 2009, 7:09 am

Programs: MR LT Titanium, UA 1K, DL Gold, AA EXP
On the bright side, the omelet was probably pretty gross.

Write UA customer relations and you'll probably get a few 500 milers or a certificate, as stated above.
Old Sep 23, 2009, 7:12 am

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
If you do right, be sure to refer to Mr. xxx <named deleted by moderator per TOS> as the "purser", not the "pursuer".

Last edited by l etoile; Sep 24, 2009 at 12:57 pm Reason: TOS
Old Sep 23, 2009, 7:15 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Originally Posted by snic
If you do right, be sure to refer to Mr. XXX as the "purser", not the "pursuer".
I thought pursuer was kind of cute!

Last edited by l etoile; Sep 24, 2009 at 12:57 pm Reason: name deleted per TOS
Old Sep 23, 2009, 7:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by snic
If you do right, be sure to refer to Mr. XXX as the "purser", not the "pursuer".
And you should "write", not "right"...

Last edited by l etoile; Sep 24, 2009 at 12:58 pm Reason: name deleted per TOS
Old Sep 23, 2009, 7:22 am

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
And you should "write", not "right"...
How embarrassing. For self-flagellation, I'm going to leave my comment unedited.
Old Sep 23, 2009, 7:22 am
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
I had the exact same line thrown at me as the OP...

A 757 (all 24 seats occupied), from LAS-ORD, as a 1K on a Paid F (A class) ticket was told EVERYONE was either Global Services or full fare when I was 'told' what I was going to have to eat (and not what I wanted).

The guy a row in front of me heard what transpired, turned to me and said, "I'm just a Premier Executive, I got upgraded at the gate, and there were others behind me".

I just let it go...Didn't write in, didn't make a big deal about it. It me off...But I let it go. There are worse things than not getting a meal. I save my complaints for bigger issues--when they come up, you don't look so much like a perpetual complainer.
Old Sep 23, 2009, 7:27 am

Programs: UA 1.6MM
I doesn't hurt to ask. Let us know what happens.

Best chances for response is via fax or snail mail.
Old Sep 23, 2009, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
I told him it wasn't fruitful to continue discussing it.
You get bonus miles if that pun was on purpose.

Mike
Old Sep 23, 2009, 8:29 am
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
WOW you didnt get your meal choice and we got a thread on it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.