Search

2-Class->3-Class switch/advice?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2002, 7:52 am
Original Poster

2-Class->3-Class switch/advice?

Hi,

Need some advice from you folks.

Flying to Hawaii this fall for my honeymoon - bought tickets back in January on 2-class flights and upgraded to first. Party-time.

Checked the reservation and they've swapped plane types on all the flights. Two have been switched from 2-class A320s to 3 class 762s....but according to my reservation, they haven't "downgraded" us to business. We're still "confirmed for F."

Now, what do I do? I purposely picked 2 class planes so we'd be in first and to avoid the much hated 762's and now, due to a changed schedule, we're stuck with them.

Do I call NOW to avoid being downgraded the day before my honeymoon? I don't want to be split up back in coach because of a computer error. But I really wanted to be in First on the ol' honeymoon.

Anyone been in this territory before?

Thanks for any advice...
Old Jul 12, 2002, 7:58 am

Location: DL: PM/2M; UA: 1K; AA: Plat/2MM; SQ: PPS; US: Plat; Starwood: Plat; Hilton: Diam Hyatt: Diam; Loews Plat; Avis: Chair.
Since when do 320's go to Hawaii?
Old Jul 12, 2002, 8:17 am
Original Poster

Sorry, not flying direct to Hawaii...the 320s were transcons from IAD to LAX. LAX to Hawaii is on a 757.

Old Jul 12, 2002, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club

I assume that the IAD-LAX flight you're talking about is UA 201 9:10am - 11:32 am? (The only IAD-LAX I show as being a 762)

I assume since you say your Hawaii flight is on a 757, you're currently booked either on LAX-OGG UA 39 4:45pm - 7:13pm or LAX-LIH UA 31 4:05pm - 6:52pm? (I show all LAX-HNL on either 763 or 777 aircraft.)

Or do I have your LAX-Hawaii connection wrong?

If my guessword is correct, you have plenty of time to take a later IAD-LAX flight.

Either:
UA 187 IAD-LAX 1100-109pm on an A320
UA 39 IAD-LAX 1255-303pm on a 757 (in fact, this flight continues to OGG)

Do either have confirmable upgrade space available? If so, you might switch.

That said, I've had aircraft switched on me and wound up in 3-class 1st... and if the change were to be made at the airport rather than in advance, the fact that you're on your honeymoon may gain lots of sympathy.
Old Jul 12, 2002, 9:06 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately, those flights don't exist anymore in October.

Originally booked 187 (for October) but the flight was disolved and was switched to the 9:15am flight. It appears flight 39 is also gone this fall.

Now, for October, the choices are #201 iad-lax at 9:15am or the next flight which isn't until 1pm (flight #189) but that would only leave a 38 minute layover...too little in my opinion.

I wish they hadn't gotten rid of that 11am flight....

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by gleff:

Either:
UA 187 IAD-LAX 1100-109pm on an A320
UA 39 IAD-LAX 1255-303pm on a 757 (in fact, this flight continues to OGG)

Do either have confirmable upgrade space available? If so, you might switch.

That said, I've had aircraft switched on me and wound up in 3-class 1st... and if the change were to be made at the airport rather than in advance, the fact that you're on your honeymoon may gain lots of sympathy.
</font>

[This message has been edited by Jackstraw45 (edited 07-12-2002).]
Old Jul 12, 2002, 11:16 am
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
whenever (and thats 1-2 times / year) I book a paid business-class Star-rtw ticket (bought and ticketed by LH in ZRH) I am booked on inner NorthAmerican two-calss flights with UA in booking-class 'F'.

Later, for long-haule transcontinental flights, I will check-in very early and try to change that segment to a same-day.three-class flight. UA then automatically (if space is available) will give me an 'F' seat (on this now three-class flight).
Old Jul 12, 2002, 4:59 pm

Programs: Former 1KMM now free as UA Gold MM, former HH D, Marriott Lifetime Plat
My experience was similar to yours a few years back, but was on the west coast to HNL legs. The aircraft went from DC10 (two class) to 747-100 (three class). My bookings showed F and I even re-confirmed them in F in the days up to the flights. But come actual check-in day, an audit had been run the night before and I was unceremoniously downgraded to C. In fact, at LAX on the outbound, my wife (no status and not that interested in FT) was lectured at length by the gate agent about "no double upgrades!" It became a major hassle to get all four of us seated together again on both the outbound and the return.

Since your legs are the transcon portion instead of the over-water portion, your mileage may vary, but I'd expect you to get nailed by the double upgrade audit just the same and end up in C.
Old Jul 12, 2002, 9:02 pm

You're not the Jackstraw from Wichita, are you???

Congrats on your wedding. Don't forget to review the "honeymoon" strategy threads posted on this and other boards. Search for 'honeymoon'.
Old Jul 15, 2002, 10:39 am
Original Poster

Thanks...you know, I'm really unsure of what to do in this situation. The reps on the phone are SO unpredictable. It just stinks because I specifically chose 2-class planes and then they switched them so it's not like all along I've been looking for a double upgrade...

Ahh, to be a millionaire who can actually PAY first class fares...

Thanks for the good wishes.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by gregseattle:
You're not the Jackstraw from Wichita, are you???

Congrats on your wedding. Don't forget to review the "honeymoon" strategy threads posted on this and other boards. Search for 'honeymoon'.
</font>
Old Jul 15, 2002, 12:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Jackstraw45:
...Unfortunately, those flights don't exist anymore in October.

Originally booked 187 (for October) but the flight was disolved and was switched to the 9:15am flight. It appears flight 39 is also gone this fall...
</font>
I am unclear as to what you're looking at.
Flight 187 IS on the schedule, both UAL.COM and the Electronic Timetable as of 2:40PM today, July 15th, for travel in October 2002.

What's your source for the schedule changes?

Old Jul 15, 2002, 2:35 pm
Original Poster

Yes but it leaves at 8:30am in October instead of 11am as it does now....not exactly a great switch when you're flying from the east coast to Maui.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by SFO 1K:
I am unclear as to what you're looking at.
Flight 187 IS on the schedule, both UAL.COM and the Electronic Timetable as of 2:40PM today, July 15th, for travel in October 2002.

What's your source for the schedule changes?

</font>

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.