Wiki Posts
Search

Fare codes - What do they all mean?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2002, 12:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA, AA, SPG - Lifetime Gold
Fare codes - What do they all mean?

Let me start of by saying I am a new user and may be asking a dumb questions, but here goes. I have changed my user level to Expert Mode on the UAL web site. I see all the available codes, but what does this all mean? Can somebody tell me how to read all this or point me to a site that can help.

Thanks
Old Jul 11, 2002, 12:23 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Welcome to FT! Some of the fare codes are standard in the industry: F = Unrestricted first class; C = business class; Y = unrestricted coach. Then there are a bunch of coach bases which have restrictions such as M, B, H, Q, V, W, T, etc. Generally the closer the letter is to Y (not alphabetically but in the UA expert mode listing), the lower the restictions but the higher the likely fare.
The numbers next to the codes (F8, C9, Y9, M3, etc.) indicate how many reservations are left in each fare class. There may be more than 9 fares left per class (if the plane is big enough) - 9 is the most that will show. Because all airlines, incl. UA overbook, this does not always correlate to how many "seats" are left. [Edited to add last par.]
If you get a fare quote on ual.com, placing the mouse over the "fare rules" will display the actual fare basis at the bottom of your screen, such as VXE7NR. This means a "V" class restricted coach discount fare that must be purchased at least 7 days in advance and is non-refundable.

[This message has been edited by Ocn Vw 1K (edited 07-11-2002).]
Old Jul 11, 2002, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Here's an intro:

http://www.mileagerunner.com/content...ingclasses.htm

To get more info, search the United forum under "fare classes".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.