Community
Wiki Posts
Search

E+ for Companion Question (2 PNRs)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2002, 1:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA1MM, *G,HA Premier Club, Hyatt Disc, HHonors Gold, Marriott LTPlat, ClubCarlson Gold, IHG PlatAmb
E+ for Companion Question (2 PNRs)

Okay, here's the question (doesn't sound like it's been discussed before):

Travelling with a co-worker on a E+ plane. Two different PNRs, same flights inbound & outbound. I'm booked on a E+ Window seat, my non-status co-worker is way back of the aircraft. I know I can link the two PNRs in order to get him a seat on E+, BUT the best UA could do is provide side-by-side seating (8A and 8B, for example). What I'm trying to do is get him an aisle seat anywhere on E+ in my row (for example, 8C/8D) while I keep my seat on 8A.

Should UA-Res be able to do this or can this trick only be done at the airport during checkin?

Thx in advance!
Jamester
Old Jul 6, 2002, 2:30 pm

Marketing has clamped down on the e+ advance seating priviledge extended to UA elite. The logic is to keep these more valuable seats open for revenue sales so pax who buy fuller fare can take advantage of that benefit. I don't disagree with the logic even though it has affected me disproportionately as I am lately bringing 3 family companions with me. I want to see UA thrive.

So we're now limited to 1 guest per elite and must be adjacent seating. You would need to be on the same pnr for this to happen, but there is no reason I could see why they couldn't assign your associate the c seat and block the middle seat unless that seat is already taken.

This seems a strident policy change as even the most helpful angels have not been able to bust around it.
Old Jul 6, 2002, 2:59 pm

Programs: UA *Gold (1 MM)
This topic was discussed last March in this thread. It would appear that the new seating policy has been around for about six months or so. Whether it is a good or a bad policy depends, of course, upon whose "ox is being gored".
Old Jul 6, 2002, 3:48 pm

Location: DL: PM/2M; UA: 1K; AA: Plat/2MM; SQ: PPS; US: Plat; Starwood: Plat; Hilton: Diam Hyatt: Diam; Loews Plat; Avis: Chair.
I'm pretty sure it's been around since there's been E+.

And yes, you can have the companion seat assigned even though it's a different PNR. I've done it with my kids when they're on a free ticket in a separate record.
Old Jul 6, 2002, 4:09 pm

Programs: Many
Watch those itineraries closely if you manage to get someone on a different record up into E+, that otherwise isnt entitled to E+ seating. If the schedule changes even by a minute, UA computer seems to bounce anyone not entitled by status or fare back to non-E+ seating.
Old Jul 6, 2002, 5:13 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by unagi1:
Watch those itineraries closely if you manage to get someone on a different record up into E+, that otherwise isnt entitled to E+ seating. If the schedule changes even by a minute, UA computer seems to bounce anyone not entitled by status or fare back to non-E+ seating. </font>
unagi1 is absolutely right. I sometimes take my wife along on business trips. Apparently a revenue ticket and an award ticket cannot be put on the same PNR, and since my wife doesn't have elite status, she gets bumped to E- everytimes there's a change in either schedule or equipment.

------------------
Old Jul 7, 2002, 1:27 pm

To get somewhat around this, I have booked my wife and I in E+ and my mother-in-law and two kids in the row right behind us in E-. When we fly on the 762, we have the two right hand seats and three center seats.

I will keep an eye on this to make sure they don't move the family all around the plane.
Old Jul 8, 2002, 6:45 am
JS
Suspended

Programs: DL Gold Medallion; UA Premier Executive; WN sub-CP; AA sub-Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Jamester:
Okay, here's the question (doesn't sound like it's been discussed before):

Travelling with a co-worker on a E+ plane. Two different PNRs, same flights inbound & outbound. I'm booked on a E+ Window seat, my non-status co-worker is way back of the aircraft. I know I can link the two PNRs in order to get him a seat on E+, BUT the best UA could do is provide side-by-side seating (8A and 8B, for example). What I'm trying to do is get him an aisle seat anywhere on E+ in my row (for example, 8C/8D) while I keep my seat on 8A.

Should UA-Res be able to do this or can this trick only be done at the airport during checkin?

Thx in advance!
Jamester
</font>
What's wrong with 8A and 8B?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.