Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is the customer service mailbox a robot??

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2002, 8:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: Starwood Gold, UA 1P, Hertz 5*
Is the customer service mailbox a robot??

On a recent Sunday I was on a LAX-ORD flight that was downgraded from a 763 to a 757. The gate staff was desperately seeking volunteers to take alternate flights. I approached the desk and stated that my final destination was ATL and I would be happy to connect through DEN or IAD if they were able to confirm me in F and that I would settle for a NA RT upgrade in lieu of the free ticket or dollars.

The agent agreed and reissued my boarding passes through DEN and told me the flight was departing from T6 which we all know is a healthy walk from T7. He also put the upgrade(s) in the envelope.

Upon boarding the new flight and settling in my seat I noticed that the upgrade was a one segment ONE WAY upgrade.. I think a HK49.

I have written to UA CS requesting the other "half" of the bargain which was supposed to be a RT upgrade. Here is the first response:

Hello,
>
> Thank you for contacting our website. I looked up
> your reservation.
> There is no documentation in regards to you
> receiving two upgrades.
> Unfortunately, without this documentation I cannot
> issue you another
> upgrade.
>
> Regards,
> Allie
> Customer Relations

I then wrote back and explained I was not supposed to receive two upgrade, but a RT upgrade in lieu of VDB. I wonder if VDB is a keyword, as I received the following reply:

Hello,

Thank you for your response. You ask for an explanation of Denied
Boarding Compensation. Let me offer this information: If you are
denied boarding, United staff will try to provide alternate
transportation planned to arrive at your destination within one hour of
your original flight. In this case, you receive no compensation.
However, if your alternate transportation is planned to get you to your
destination more than one hour after your original flight, you will
receive compensation based on your arrival time. The maximum is $400.
Compensation for Denied Boarding is only offered at the airport. We
appreciate this opportunity to respond and look forward to serving you.

Regards,
Allie
Customer Relations

Any suggestions of what I should do to get UA to honor their promise or should I just write it off as my ignorance for walking away without checking the blue card I received at the gate in LAX?

What is the best way to complain to UA? I am 1P.

[This message has been edited by Lax_Traveler (edited 07-03-2002).]
Old Jul 3, 2002, 9:00 am
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
Write a snail mail letter to WHQ. It takes longer, but usually better results. It helps if you provide the agent's name (or at least a description and the time so they can see who was working). Fax the letter as well. Don't call - useless and the agents cannot and will not do anything except say to you "I will pass this along to our management." Writing shows that this is important and that you've taken the time. I would make the letter short and to the point explaining what you are expecting in return. Just pray that they read the letter and don't send you a $25 voucher!
Old Jul 3, 2002, 9:10 am

Location: exUA1K, UA MM, lifetime UA1P, AA MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
I fully agree that snail mail to UA gets the best results.
Old Jul 3, 2002, 9:27 am

Before too much time passes, you might want to follow up with the station directly. You can probably find the direct dial number for the Red Carpet Club or baggage services office, and they might be able/willing to put you in touch with their station management.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.