Search

1K in Houston?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2002, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: La Ministreuse de Surréalisme, CO Plat, MR Plat, SPG Plat
1K in Houston?

I am moving to Houston in a couple of months. I know that United has flights in and out of Houston, but not much presence. Anyone here been able to maintain 1K status based in Houston and if so, how difficult is it? My travel is split 50/50 between international and domestic - 150,000 to 250,000 miles per year. Thanks in advance for any help and advice.
Old Jun 28, 2002, 9:58 pm

Programs: lapsed UA 1K (now a lowly 2P), HGP Platinum
I'm not sure why the station would matter in maintaining 1K status, but I earned 1P status while there.

IAH serves DEN and ORD mostly with 1 or 2 flights per day to SFO. They used to have 2 flights per day to LAX, but they were pulled post-9/11.

If you're willing to connect for many of your destinations, then you shouldn't have a problem. Personally, I didn't have much problem as my 2 main destinations were ORD and LAX.

The only advice I have for IAH is to not check your luggage on the return flight. They have the slowest baggae handlers of any station to which I've ever been. It generally took 30 minutes to offload the baggage from an A319!

[This message has been edited by robb (edited 06-29-2002).]
Old Jun 28, 2002, 10:14 pm

Location: Memphis, TN USA UA 1K, NW Platinum, AA Gold, Starwood Platinum, HHonors Gold
Slow baggage handling? Not til you have seen Memphis! UAx in Memphis takes forever! 30 minutes is fast, 45 minutes is the norm!

I am in Memphis, and a 1K. It is a lot more difficult being a UA FF in this market than it used to be. When we had mainline service, the 737's were great! Now that we have UAX, the service stinks, they are usually late, the planes are small, and the last 7 trips I have taken, 6 times they have lost my baggage. Needless to say, I am praying for the soon return of UA to Memphis.
Old Jun 29, 2002, 4:17 pm

Programs: UA Plat., 1.52 MM
FlyingRev:
You forgot to mention how frequently UX ground staff turns over and are not proficient in operating the UA computer reservation system, and/or how to process a lost baggage claim....

Old Jun 30, 2002, 5:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Slow bags? Try IAD. I think the 1K room must supervise baggage handlers there . . .
Old Jun 30, 2002, 7:11 am

Programs: United 1K MM - 1.7M actually, Marriott Platinum Premier, Hertz Gold
Actually, i have found that some of the best treatment United gives 1Ks is in the "fortress hubs" of other airlines.

DTW and MSP come to mind -- the counter people and gate agents there are some of the most helpful in the system -- probably because they know you are going out of your way to support UA instead of supporting the competition.

I am curious if Houston will be the same...please let us know.
Old Jun 30, 2002, 7:56 am

Programs: No status anywhere :(
The home office is in Houston, so I wander down there reasonably often. I have found the flights to be surprisingly crowded, considering they are operating in the shadow of CO. My biggest beef is as a 1P my upgrades never clear!

The past two trips through I had special requests--both times the airport folks were accommodating (where reservations had not been).

UA finally moved into the new gate area, so at least their facilities have improved to something tolerable.
Old Jun 30, 2002, 9:11 am
Commander Catcop

I fly United into and out of IAH all the time and the service there is usually outstanding.

Of course, like anywhere else you're bound to run into the bad apple now and then.

Like in this example:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum50/HTML/012156.html

Oppps! BTW, I'm using Catman's laptop right now (from our Taste of Chicago visit here) and didn't notice his "cookie" before posting! This post is actually by PremEx!!

[This message has been edited by Catman (edited 06-30-2002).]
Old Jun 30, 2002, 9:13 pm

My dayd used to be a 1K out of IAH. However he picked up a good portion of those on LH flights to India. The rest were from Pacific flights via SFO. CO/KL/NW alliance will certainly be easier, but perhaps not worth it to you. Personally I think UA to Europe would be far easier with a flight to IAD, but for some reason ORD is only option. I fail to understand how they can have no flight from a hub to 4th largest American city. Perhaps to much competition from CO.
Old Jul 1, 2002, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: La Ministreuse de Surréalisme, CO Plat, MR Plat, SPG Plat
Thanks to everyone for your help and advice. I'll try it and let you know how it goes. Obviously, if there are major differences in fares, I'll have to fly the other guys, but we'll see. Thanks again!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.