Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The case of the exploding bowl

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2002, 8:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UAL, Marriott, Skymiles, AAdvantage, trueBlue, Starwood Preferred Guest, Hyatt,Leaders Club, Alaska
The case of the exploding bowl

I know I could have put this thread in "trip reports"...but I thought this would be more appropriate.

While flying on a free business class ticket from SIN to SFO last month, while eating a salad...the bowl came apart in my hands..drenching me in salad dressing. It seemed like the bowl was made in two pieces and that the glue..or whatever it was...stopped working.

Sitting there with Italian dressing all over my shirt and pants...the flight attendent politely told me, after giving me a dozen napkins to clean up..that the head purser would be over to talk to me about compensation.

She was over a few hours later and..while polite, seemed a bit hesitant to give me anything. The plane was a bit dark..so the stains weren't evident..but they were there. She asked me to fill out a sheet with my name and address...then left. I felt as though she thought I was lying...but not so much that I felt like talking to her again.

A month later I got a 50.00 cert off a UA ticket. Given the fact that that flight was essentially free and that my dry cleaning costed 18.00, I feel I came out ahead.

But, next time you are enjoying your salad in business class, beware of the exploding bowl!

------------------
Take the road less travelled...but only if it means more miles.
Old Jun 30, 2002, 9:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Distantly related, I've seen exploding Salad Dressing containers many times when passengers or crew forget to equalize the pressure by poking a fork in 'em before attempting to open them.
Old Jun 30, 2002, 9:30 pm

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
the yogurt does the same thing.

It's funny to watch "nonseasoned" First class and business flyers open them toward themselves.. and get splattered :P

I *always* open any pressurized circular item toward the seat.... my seatmates always ask me why I do that and point to the stain on their clothes... heh

-nate
Old Jun 30, 2002, 10:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Southwest spilled a beer over me once, on a nice suit (when I used to wear suits )

They instantly gave me a $10 cleaning "voucher." It was too much trouble to get my stuff cleaned, send in the receipt and wait for a check, so I promptly lost the voucher. But that was a great way of handling things, really.
Old Jul 1, 2002, 2:48 am

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriot LT Titanium, UA 2.4MM, HH Gold, AS MVPG
Back when I used to be a bit more aggressive, I got a $200 voucher for having OJ spilled on me. Mind you this was the last straw for me that week. Which consistet of what seemed like mechanicals on every flight, stains from the seat onto the clothing, etc.
Old Jul 1, 2002, 3:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
VAGUELY (!) related the the salad dressing topic, but Joh simply LOVES the Conway salad dressing they use in C in the litle sachets - the Sesame and Ginger to be precise.

She looked for it in 3 USA supermarkets. No sign of it. Wrote to Conway and asked where she might find it stocked next time we were in USA.

Strangely Conway do not retail at all. The company asked for a hotel we were at next trip and 'they would forward a free sample'. We arrived at Hyatt Dulles and a large CARTON was there with 2 or 3 QUART bottles all neatly packed in white syrofoam, in a special carton so we could check it as luggage. THAT was neat. Had some yesterday for lunch actually.

------------------
~ Glen ~

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.