Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Am I being pushy or rude?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2002, 10:15 am

Location: UA 1K 3MM, UA 1P/1K since mid '80s; CO Bronze/Silver since mid 80's, Austin, Texas
I'm assuming that you display a cordial, smiling politeness in your comments and gestures. I'm assuming that you board early and that you know the rhythm of the pre-flight minutes, so you aren't asking for something unreasonable. I'm sure that you express your gratitude clearly whenever the job is done well. Speaking up with kind firmness isn't really hard for anyone and needs to be done.

I do the same. I praise good service vigorously. I urge others to do the same. Service erodes slowly. With the possible exception of the 1K room at IAD, where they apparently were born surly and dull, service performance is a learned habit.

Decades ago, in another life, I worked a few summers as a flight attendant. I know from experience that in the midst of the repeating drudgery, it's easy to become impersonal, under-motivated and end up wondering why all these people sitting around won't help me do my flight attendant duties. Intended excellence slips to doing what seems to keep everybody quiet. Intentions of doing the small things fades.

I noticed a couple of years ago that small bits and parts of the total service were habitually being forgotten by many FAs.

When I mention service items (there are more items than pre-flight drinks in F/C), I kind of think of it as a way of helping UA survive. It's part of being a good customer, especially when there is not much that separates the competition than the front-line service of CSRs and FAs.
Old Jun 20, 2002, 12:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond
In the past, on the rare occasions when my jacket was not collected, I would typically hang it up myself and then somewhat loudly offer to do likewise for the other passengers in the cabin. One time, the pilot helped me hang up the jackets as well.

This has not happened for quite some time because I have stopped wearing jackets.
Old Jun 20, 2002, 4:31 pm
Original Member

Programs: AAdvantage EXP/1mm/Admirals,United Silver+Club (life),Marriott Titanium,Hilton & Accor Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by mdtony:
...I wonder what some folks here do when there's really something to stress over, such as a flight being delayed and a connection being missed due to weather. If you'll get stressed out over how quickly your coat is hung up, what happens when something really important happens?</font>
United can't control the weather. They can control the inflight service.
Old Jun 20, 2002, 5:42 pm

You people's obssession with Flight Attendants is what perplexes me. When I flew for UA, most FC pax would behave wonderfully, with their head in some crime novel or their fingertips at their laptop keyboard. Not keeping tabs on every teensy-weeny thing that they didn't have time to do or just forgot to do.

I could have sworn most frequent fliers fly so much & so often, that certain "novelties" of FC quickly wear off. For this reason, I also assumed (incorrectly, apparently) that veteren Mileage Plus people were beyond the petty.

Something's wrong here.
Old Jun 20, 2002, 6:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Ralph - if the "novelty of FC ever wore off" there would be no-one here on the UA board. Or the AA board. Or the CO, NW or DL boards.

But the Southwest Forum would be massively busy.

------------------
~ Glen ~

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.