Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Am I allowed to get a copy of my PNR (SWU issue)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2002, 2:56 pm
Original Poster

So, same SWU issue on being able to upgrade an already booked and confirmed upgrade with new systemwide 2002 certificates (non upgradeable internet fare QLWSGDCM)

UA customer service documented in my PNR the ability to use new systemwide upgrades as a one time exception.

When I asked for a copy of my PNR and how I could get this I was told that this was a confidential document. My understanding was that legally in the US if a passanger asks for his/her PNR it must be given to them.

Anyone know what the law is on this. I have often had my PNR given to me when I have asked for it before?

[This message has been edited by MilesToGoBeforeISleep (edited 03-22-2002).]
Old Mar 22, 2002, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Don't know what the Privacy or Freedom of Information legislation is like in the USA, particularly with respect to personal information kept and used by companies, but I would think that it is close to what we have up here in Canada, given that the civil liberties and libertarian types would be in agreement on this one.

Anyhow, in Canada, any business that is federally regulated is obligated to provide you with a copy of any personal files they have on you. This includes banks, airlines, railways, broadcasters and a few other industry sectors that fall under such regulations.

An airline PNR would be considered to be the same as your credit files, which I know must be made available to you as an American [and us as Canadians]. Similarly, I believe you can request to see any files that any federal [or state?] government agency has on you, subject to review and possible security censorship of portions.

Since airlines do fall under federal regulations in both our countries, I would think Freedom of Information would apply to your PNR.

Just this week, the Privacy Commissioner -- that's what we call him up here -- ordered Air Canada to review their proceedures about gathering and using our customer profiles, travel patterns, etc. and to require us to sign a release should the airline wish to provide this information to third parties. It was made very clear that we can request to see whatever information AC has on us.

Not sure if they go that far in Washington, but it is worth a call to which ever agency handles Freedom of Information down there.
Old Mar 22, 2002, 4:42 pm

Programs: lapsed UA 1K (now a lowly 2P), HGP Platinum
I can't imagine why a PNR would be covered in the law.

It's an internal document used to track your itinerary, and while I'm surprised they didn't print it for you, I can't believe that the law would go so far as to specifically address such a document.

And if it's any document, not just specifically a PNR, then that seems awfully burdensome to a company. That would mean that any notes I make on a negotiation with a customer would be fair game? No way.

I think you're confusing employment files with all files.
Old Mar 22, 2002, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

MilesToGoBeforeISleep, slightly off-topic, can you share the background and your experiences getting the exclusion to use a SWU on this Q fare?
Old Mar 22, 2002, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Most airport or city ticket office agents are happy to print out a copy of your PNR if you have a good reason to want one.

And they've got a printer right there.

I don't think MilesToGoBeforeISleep or anyone else would have much luck getting one from a Reservation agent, however (which I think is the case here).

Print, stuff, address, mail, etc, etc. All manually. You get the idea.
Old Mar 22, 2002, 7:59 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for your replies.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by transpac:
MilesToGoBeforeISleep, slightly off-topic, can you share the background and your experiences getting the exclusion to use a SWU on this Q fare?</font>
The SIN Q fare was purchased and upgrades confirmed last year before the new 2002 Systemwides were issued. I called UA customer service (option 4 after the initial number) and explained to the agent that these tickets were booked last year before the new SWUs were issued and that they were book at the specific time when upgrades could be confirmed. Were this not the situation, I would not have booked the tickets. He spent about 30 mins with me on hold (presumably talking with his supervisor) and came back and told me that they were going to make a one time special exception for me because I was so valuable blah blah blah... Ordinarily I would be quite happy with this but the way he said it to me was as though he was doing me this huge favor so I let him have it and told him that this is the fair thing for UA to do as they had changed the SWU rules. Never-the-less, they did it for which I am greatful. To be sure, I wanted a copy of my PNR just in case this was not the case (would not be the first time and you can bet that I will call them about 10 times between now and May when I fly to make sure that this is still in the record). That's when the whole PNR thing came in and he probably worte something in my PNR like 'ungrateful customer' make sure to seat in 52E

On a side note, this call went to Mexico and they are just not up to speed on what they are doing there, but that's a whole 'nother post.

BTW, I can't find it right now but there was another post on how to do this also.
Old Mar 23, 2002, 1:32 am

Australia has just passed an admendment to the Privacy Act. Any company turning over more than $3 million a year has to provide any information they have on someone to them if they request it. This is subject to some qualifications (such as if the information is or could be the subject of a lawsuit). So if you REALLY WANT TO KNOW, contact the Sydney office of United and request the information under the new privacy legislation (they will know about it - the govt down here has spend a lot of money informing companies about their obligations under the act).
Old Mar 23, 2002, 5:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
So if the Sydney branch of an international company has access to information on someone aomewhere in the world, even if the transactions have occurred entirely outside of Australia, that person can request the information from the Sydney branch?
Old Mar 23, 2002, 11:40 am

Actually, the only thing we will print out for you is a recept for your itin. As for printing out an actual PNR, we do not do that for psgrs. The main reason is that there are things in records cust are not to see. I believe what you want printed up is the auth from WHQ about your upgrade allowed to be used, well that info is contained in a part of the record for UA personnel only, so you wouldn't be able to get a copy of that. Sorry.
Old Mar 23, 2002, 1:28 pm

Programs: SPG Pref+, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Plat, BA Blue, AA Riff-Raff, UA Unwashed, Travel Anonymous Platinum
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by UALRSSRDTWRR:
Actually, the only thing we will print out for you is a recept for your itin. As for printing out an actual PNR, we do not do that for psgrs. The main reason is that there are things in records cust are not to see. I believe what you want printed up is the auth from WHQ about your upgrade allowed to be used, well that info is contained in a part of the record for UA personnel only, so you wouldn't be able to get a copy of that. Sorry. </font>
And just what are those things in the record on my itinerary that we can't see, even through it's about my itinerary? Would we be pleased or angry if we were to find out what's in those records?

Thanks!
Old Mar 23, 2002, 1:46 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by UA_Eagle:
And just what are those things in the record on my itinerary that we can't see, even through it's about my itinerary? Would we be pleased or angry if we were to find out what's in those records?

Thanks!
</font>
I've been to a reservations office and have been shown some records... the things you can see are very wide-ranging, to a list of "no-show" records to "caller was rude"

------------------
When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return.

- Leonardo da Vinci
Old Mar 23, 2002, 11:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Were those your records they were showing you?
Old Mar 24, 2002, 10:12 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by PremEx:
Were those your records they were showing you? </font>
No, mine!

Old Mar 24, 2002, 10:58 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by UALRSSRDTWRR:
. . .The main reason is that there are things in records cust are not to see. I believe what you want printed up is the auth from WHQ about your upgrade allowed to be used, well that info is contained in a part of the record for UA personnel only, so you wouldn't be able to get a copy of that. Sorry. </font>
Another shining example of the great customer service that UAL is providing these days. *sigh*
Old Mar 25, 2002, 1:16 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by gleff:
So if the Sydney branch of an international company has access to information on someone aomewhere in the world, even if the transactions have occurred entirely outside of Australia, that person can request the information from the Sydney branch?</font>
The law as it stands states that a company is to provide ANY information it has on ANY person when they request it (subject to some qualifiers) so as to give the person a way to correct it if it is incorrect. I dont know how this goes for a comment like "customer is rude"?

"The main objects of this Act are:

(a)
to establish a single comprehensive national scheme providing, through codes adopted by private sector organisations and National Privacy Principles, for the appropriate collection, holding, use, correction, disclosure and transfer of personal information by those organisations; "

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.