Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Consolidated: Type B (VDB) Vouchers Questions [Merged Threads - 2009 and Onward]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated: Type B (VDB) Vouchers Questions [Merged Threads - 2009 and Onward]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2010, 10:57 pm

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Originally Posted by james103
Thank for your information!
I have one more questions: if I pay my air ticket fully or partially by my paper voucher, am I still qualified to collect air miles (I am currently collecting AC aeroplan miles)
Again, I appriciate your help.
You should be able to earn miles. Only free and award tickets do not earn miles.
Old Jan 29, 2010, 10:28 am

Hi What happens to the value of a fully refundable ticket that I purchase with a Type B Residual type voucher ? I'm looking for ways to extend the life of my type B voucher. Thanks !
Old Jan 29, 2010, 11:32 am

Programs: MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by sunil
Hi What happens to the value of a fully refundable ticket that I purchase with a Type B Residual type voucher ? I'm looking for ways to extend the life of my type B voucher. Thanks !
The date that says "must ticket by" is absolute. For example, if your voucher has a "must ticket by" date of tomorrow, you could call right away and schedule a flight 331 days out, refundable or not. Should you refund it, though, the original "must ticket by" date on the voucher still applies and you are out of luck.
Old Jan 29, 2010, 12:22 pm

Searched thread, and couldn't find a conclusive answer. It appears to me a Type B Voucher is really just a somewhat restrictive form of payment - so it stands to reason that I could book a ticket and redeem an ecert (like the 50% from the recent end of 2009 promo) and use my Type B as payment towards that itin.

Can anyone confirm or deny this thinking?
Old Jan 29, 2010, 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by uchuuace
The date that says "must ticket by" is absolute. For example, if your voucher has a "must ticket by" date of tomorrow, you could call right away and schedule a flight 331 days out, refundable or not. Should you refund it, though, the original "must ticket by" date on the voucher still applies and you are out of luck.
Thank you ! Two Questions.
1. Is the original "must use by date" for a type B captured on a ticket that is issues using a Type B voucher ? I don't think it is but maybe others can comment .

2. Does the residual voucher generated from the issue of a ticket generate another 12 months of re-use life ? Meaning Type B Cert worth $1000 exp. June 2010 is using to purchase a ticket thats worth $500 bought today. The residual type b cert generated worth $500 should be valid till 02/2011 right ?

Thank you !
Old Jan 29, 2010, 4:54 pm

Sunil, which type B voucher did you use?
1. VDB, a booklet of 4 vouchers with identical dollar amount and serial number OR
2. From refare or unused ticket

Most of UA vouchers are valid for one year from issuance date.

Residual value for
a. VDB, no residual value
b. Refare, one year from issuance date
c. Unused ticket without vouchers, one ,year from issuance date. You can apply the balance, minus change fee towards a new ticket. Any residual value remaining is valid for another year from new issuance date.
d. Unused ticket with vouchers, original voucher validity date remains unchanged
Old Jan 29, 2010, 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by 1KChinito
Sunil, which type B voucher did you use?
1. VDB, a booklet of 4 vouchers with identical dollar amount and serial number OR
2. From refare or unused ticket

Most of UA vouchers are valid for one year from issuance date.

Residual value for
a. VDB, no residual value
b. Refare, one year from issuance date
c. Unused ticket without vouchers, one ,year from issuance date. You can apply the balance, minus change fee towards a new ticket. Any residual value remaining is valid for another year from new issuance date.
d. Unused ticket with vouchers, original voucher validity date remains unchanged
Its 2 from an unused ticket. About Part d. Say if I issues a ticket with a Type B coucher that expires in a month for travel 1 year out but which to use the value of that new ticket for another ticket , is that allowed ?
Old Jan 29, 2010, 10:40 pm

Originally Posted by sunil
Its 2 from an unused ticket. About Part d. Say if I issues a ticket with a Type B coucher that expires in a month for travel 1 year out but which to use the value of that new ticket for another ticket , is that allowed ?
Can you clarify your question per my example. I am confused with your question. I thought I explain it very clearly which type of voucher and its usage.
Old Feb 10, 2010, 10:22 pm

Programs: Mosaic 2, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Premium Cabin free agent
I just received a booklet worth $200 for my VDB today. Are they limited to region 1 itineraries or can I use them for all flights operated by UA/UX? Thanks for the help! Kinda excited that I got bumped from a flight and I got home half an hour early because they put me on a direct flight on another airline! I had already lost my upgrade and was stuck in E- on a ERJ so I figured why not get paid for sitting in E-!
Old Feb 10, 2010, 11:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by UnitedEF
I just received a booklet worth $200 for my VDB today. Are they limited to region 1 itineraries or can I use them for all flights operated by UA/UX? Thanks for the help! Kinda excited that I got bumped from a flight and I got home half an hour early because they put me on a direct flight on another airline! I had already lost my upgrade and was stuck in E- on a ERJ so I figured why not get paid for sitting in E-!

You can use these sytemwide. Even though they're in U.S. Dollars, you need not even originate in the USA.
Old Feb 11, 2010, 7:51 am

Programs: Mosaic 2, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Premium Cabin free agent
Originally Posted by channa
You can use these sytemwide. Even though they're in U.S. Dollars, you need not even originate in the USA.
Awesome! Thanks for the reply!
Old Feb 11, 2010, 8:58 am

UnitedEF, just think of that booklet of 4, totaling USD200 type B vouchers as cash.

If you were VDBed, you might have a tough time claiming your original UA miles. If you were involunteered denied boarding, then you should have no problem receiving your original UA miles.
Old Feb 11, 2010, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by 1KChinito
UnitedEF, just think of that booklet of 4, totaling USD200 type B vouchers as cash.

If you were VDBed, you might have a tough time claiming your original UA miles. If you were involunteered denied boarding, then you should have no problem receiving your original UA miles.
I was VDBed but the GA gave me a form and told me that I could claim original routing credit even though I flew on another airline. I hope she was right. I will post what happens after I try to claim the original routing credit. Thanks for the heads up.
Old Feb 11, 2010, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by UnitedEF
I was VDBed but the GA gave me a form and told me that I could claim original routing credit even though I flew on another airline. I hope she was right. I will post what happens after I try to claim the original routing credit. Thanks for the heads up.
You are welcome. Please do let us know the outcome.
Old Feb 11, 2010, 9:37 am

Programs: UA 1K 0.94MM, Marriott Titanium
Mrs. Bruin got at DBC Free voucher on a flight back in September 09. We tried to use it online but the "CPN DOCUMENT NUMBER CK" doesn't seem to be in the system. We have two slips of paper: "Free Ticket Voucher" and "Denied Boarding Report Station Copy"

I'm concerned that if we have a "station copy" in our possession that the voucher isn't in the UA system. Any similar experiences?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.