Community
Wiki Posts
Search

F to Honolulu...any good?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2009, 4:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K-MM
At least the warm cookies are back on UA on the HI routes.
Old Jun 2, 2009, 5:14 pm

Programs: nobody
Originally Posted by OPFlyer
Don't forget about CO who flies BusinessFirst configured planes to the islands with modified BF service. By next year, they will be a part of the Star Alliance.
But I've heard CO will be using 737-900 later this year on the LAX-HNL route which does not have Business First.
Old Jun 2, 2009, 5:34 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
Yes, the Mai Tai alone is almost worth it.

small pleasures.
Old Jun 2, 2009, 5:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG
Originally Posted by TA
Yes, the Mai Tai alone is almost worth it.

small pleasures.
Completely agree with this. I miss Halfway to Hawaii and the sundae cart dearly. But I'll take the Mai Tais.
Old Jun 2, 2009, 7:35 pm

Programs: UA1K 3MM, AS MVP 75K Gold
Originally Posted by fadeforward
Completely agree with this. I miss Halfway to Hawaii and the sundae cart dearly. But I'll take the Mai Tais.
I do miss the sundaes although there were times I turned it down. I don't drink mai tais and wonder how people can down the stuff but I guess they're on vacation so why not?

Having flown FC dozens of times to and from Hawaii, it's nothing to write home about. I suppose that since it's a leisure destination (unlike the business routes like JFK-LAX or JFK-SFO), there's really no incentive for UA or any carrier to really upgrade the experience.
Old Jun 2, 2009, 8:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K & GS
leather seat, no foot rest, but lots more room. NOTHING like international F.

i miss the guava juice, though
Old Jun 2, 2009, 8:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage Gold
Originally Posted by SgtRyan
Hi guys,

Looking at going to Honolulu in Feb/March next year. ANA is showing that UA have first from LAX or SFO. How is this trip in F? Ive done First from LHR-LAX a couple of times, but I take it it would be nothing like that. Or am I wrong? Does it depend on the plane?

Ive also done F on US Air from coast to coast and that was ok.

So what does everyone think? First with UA or US?

Cheers
US has a F cabin? j/k. I wouldn't fly with US Airways, ever! I'd go out of my way to fly AA or UA rather than get on any other airline in the United States (southwest included). As for UA in F going to HNL, I wouldn't bother. Just get like bulkhead Economy Plus, those are really nice seats, great legroom, immovable armrests (this keeps away the really fat passengers who would enroach on your seat space since the armrests don't move...) bring your own food and entertainment on board and you're set. The only flight worthwhile to me to HNL in F is AA's 763 service from DFW. All of AA's 763's are configured with the Next Gen Business Class seats in the forward cabin. It's AA's International Business Class and it's called First Class when operating domestically...
Old Jun 2, 2009, 8:33 pm
Suspended

Thanks for the heads up guys....great help!! ^

I will be using an award ticket and now that you said CO fly the route as well, may as well wait till they join at the end of the year and see if I can get on them. Would be a nice change to fly them.

Cheers again!
Old Jun 2, 2009, 8:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by SgtRyan
Thanks for the heads up guys....great help!! ^

I will be using an award ticket and now that you said CO fly the route as well, may as well wait till they join at the end of the year and see if I can get on them. Would be a nice change to fly them.

Cheers again!
Don't hold your breath!

Check out episode 21 at www.upgrd.com.
Old Jun 2, 2009, 9:14 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR
F on flights to Hawaii is identical to F on most domestic UA flights (except you'll get a mai tai to drink if you want one)..and the seat will be similar to the cross country flight you took on US. UA is better than US in virtually every way so if your choice is between those two, choose UA... but don't get too excited about the F class seat as it's nothing like international F or even C.
Agreed that F is identical to any domestic flight with the one exception, the FA are United's best, more exprienced, more attentive, and pleasent.

Last edited by Doug 1029; Jun 2, 2009 at 9:14 pm Reason: add a word
Old Jun 2, 2009, 11:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Doug 1029
Agreed that F is identical to any domestic flight with the one exception, the FA are United's best, more exprienced, more attentive, and pleasent.
Absolutely. HNL based crews have impressed me very much this year.
Old Jun 2, 2009, 11:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP/US CP, United 1K (1MM) , Marriott Plat, Avis Plus
I didn't know the bar was so damn high

I went to LAX-HNL (767) with two friends last month and had one of the best flights (Domestic, Caribbean or Int'l) ever. From the second you were on the plan, there were two or three FA taking care of you . Drink service was great. Yes, they have Mai Tai, it's no longer Trader Vic Brand, but Mr & Mrs T's sugar syrup. But good, it's even served with a piece of pineapple and a 'United' swizzle stick. They brought out warmed Macedonian nuts with the first in-flight drink service. I had the teriyaki chicken with white rice and salad and roll. They had warmed cookies for dinner. I'm a pretty large man and I was full.

As it's been said several times, that's what makes a flight is the cabin crew and I was very impressed. It made the 5 hour flight go by so quickly. Thought they are domestic FC A/C, it would still be nice to get moving map updates between movies. Great flight, great crew, there and back. I grew up on US, and the only thing I miss are some of the old PI/Allig crews, still do, but United has some great people as well.

If you're a United Club member, they were giving away free adult beverages as they are rebidding they contract with the concessionaire.
Old Jun 2, 2009, 11:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by shttrdrvr
Yes, they have Mai Tai, it's no longer Trader Vic Brand, but Mr & Mrs T's sugar syrup. But good, it's even served with a piece of pineapple and a 'United' swizzle stick. They brought out warmed Macedonian nuts with the first in-flight drink service.
The swizzle stick with fruit (pictured upthread) is a nice touch. They didn't have Macedonian nuts on my flight, though. But the macadamia nuts were good.
Old Jun 3, 2009, 1:06 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus 1K 2 MM, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum
I haven't see any warm cookies on the OGG flights... has anyone, or are they just on the HNL flights?

But we do have sparkling wine back! And generally very good FA's.
Old Jun 3, 2009, 1:36 am

Programs: UA, AA, WN; HH, MR, IHG
Originally Posted by shttrdrvr
Macedonian nuts
Oh boy, those must have been REALLY stale. Did they taste like history?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.