F to Honolulu...any good?

Old Sep 1, 08, 11:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL 4MM; DM
United to Hawaii

I'm a Delta flyer, who can't handle the thought of another trip to Hawaii on their product. I've been reading this Forum for tips. I have two flights coming up. One to HNL, and then another to OGG (both from LAS). It's been noted here that the preferred type of plane is the 777, which I will book for the HNL trip. I didn't see any flights on those to OGG. So, I',m looking at 767 service on that trip. I will be flying F. Is there any advantage service/meal/delay-wise that would make any particular 'day part' better than another. I'd appreciate any advice you care to share. Thanks. (And I'm really looking forward to giving the mai tais a try )
Old Sep 1, 08, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by BamaGirl View Post
(And I'm really looking forward to giving the mai tais a try )
Apparently they've been discontinued, or will be soon.
Old Sep 1, 08, 12:26 pm

Programs: 10-year UA 1K and 2 MM, then AA EXP, now BA Silver; next stop, Kayak
Mai Tais are still being served--I enjoyed a couple last week.

There's no reason to avoid the 767: the seat and general comfort are the same as any other domestic F. Three FAs work the F cabin: one in the galley and one in each aisle, so the service is pretty good (and the crews on these flights tend to be cheerful).

I'd recommend a flight that serves dinner: it's currently a choice of a fairly good steak or an ok fish, and even there's even a printed menu. The dinner flights into HNL also have the advantage that they arrive after the traffic jams on the freeway have dispersed.
Old Sep 1, 08, 12:34 pm

Programs: DL DM, SQ PPS
I flew a couple days ago HNL-SFO on UA74 (lunch flight). They ran out of the hard copies of the menu so it was xeroxed onto printer paper. Salads were downsized, there was no ice cream sundae, no champagne, and the FA's said that mai tai's would be gone within the next couple of weeks.
Old Sep 1, 08, 12:37 pm
DWP

Programs: UA 1K (thanks to UCBeau and Lucky), RCC, Fallen Hyatt Diamond
I tend to fly the morning (8-9:00 am) flights in order to enjoy my 1st day more in the islands. The breakfast is ok. We generally fly the 1:00 pm flight home and IIRC, the meal service was really good, but don't remember a steak.
Hot fudge sundae yes, steak, no. The late flights that depart around 9:00 pm just serve a fruit plate. I haven't flown this route since early June, so all of this may have changed. I think the best cabin service is on the way to Hawaii, because the crews are either going home, or on their way to paradise.
Old Sep 1, 08, 12:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Platinum, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5 *
Originally Posted by localkinegrindz View Post
I flew a couple days ago HNL-SFO on UA74.....no champagne.....
We may have been on the same flight. I grabbed the clear liquid pre-flight, in lieu of OJ, expecting it to be champagne. To my horror, it was water. I quickly warned Mrs McKnife in the seat behind me. FA told me "they don't serve champagne". I said, "well you did a month ago". And she confessed they stopped on 8/1. I'm still overall very happy with their F cabin and FAs.

EDIT:
Originally Posted by DWP View Post
The late flights that depart around 9:00 pm just serve a fruit plate. I haven't flown this route since early June, so all of this may have changed.
A month ago on the 9:10PM HNL-SFO flight it was a fruit plate or a chicken ceasar salad.

Originally Posted by DWP View Post
I think the best cabin service is on the way to Hawaii, because the crews are either going home, or on their way to paradise.
Agree. But apparently the non-locals stay in a UA-owned hotel that they aren't too fond of. Other than that, they love going there.

Last edited by MayorMcKnife; Sep 1, 08 at 12:53 pm
Old Sep 1, 08, 12:47 pm

Programs: 10-year UA 1K and 2 MM, then AA EXP, now BA Silver; next stop, Kayak
I can confirm that the hot fudge sundaes have gone. It's now the same cake thing as other domestic F flights.

Last edited by someotherguy; Sep 1, 08 at 12:49 pm Reason: clarity
Old Sep 1, 08, 12:53 pm
DWP

Programs: UA 1K (thanks to UCBeau and Lucky), RCC, Fallen Hyatt Diamond
Oh man, what's next-warm nuts?
Old Sep 1, 08, 12:58 pm

Well, I always remember getting extra nuts in F to/from Hawai'i but now they only serve enough for each person in the F cabin.
Old Sep 1, 08, 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by MayorMcKnife View Post
We may have been on the same flight. .
Thu 8/28
Old Sep 1, 08, 1:05 pm

Programs: UA GS
HNL/OGG service

I suggest that you check out this thread for the current info on HNL/OGG service/amenities. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...hlight=mai+tai
Old Sep 1, 08, 1:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL 4MM; DM
Thank you all for the comments. And, I will check out the amenities thread, LAXOGG.
Old Sep 1, 08, 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by LAXOGG View Post
I suggest that you check out this thread for the current info on HNL/OGG service/amenities. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...hlight=mai+tai
Just went to look for that thread and you beat me to it.
Old Sep 1, 08, 10:35 pm

Programs: United, American, Delta, Northwest, Continental, US Airways, Southwest, BMI
I'm a Delta flyer, who can't handle the thought of another trip to Hawaii on their product. I've been reading this Forum for tips. I have two flights coming up. One to HNL, and then another to OGG (both from LAS). It's been noted here that the preferred type of plane is the 777, which I will book for the HNL trip. I didn't see any flights on those to OGG. So, I',m looking at 767 service on that trip. I will be flying F. Is there any advantage service/meal/delay-wise that would make any particular 'day part' better than another. I'd appreciate any advice you care to share. Thanks. (And I'm really looking forward to giving the mai tais a try )
I have only been to Hawaii once and it was years ago...so I have no affinity to a particular airline in the Hawaii market...I'm just curious what you don't like about Delta's product to Hawaii...to educate myself and avoid it in the future if need be.
Old Sep 1, 08, 10:57 pm

Programs: United, American, Delta, Northwest, Continental, US Airways, Southwest, BMI
By the way, I found a cool site called www.seatguru.com that is helpful in pointing out which seats on each airline's particular aircraft are best and worst in terms of comfort, location, etc.

In Delta's 767 first-class cabins, the website says that the first-class seats are "...standard first-class seats for this aircraft, but poor compared to other planes."

Does anyone have any insight on this? I'm curious.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: