Wiki Posts
Search

Hidden City Risk

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2011, 9:18 am

Programs: UA 1K
Anybody ever suffer a penalty?

Originally Posted by nnn
I wonder if United plans to take a harder look at passengers who use hidden-city ticketing. I would think one would have to be a very frequent offender to be noticed.
There is so much discussion of how these hiden city pairs can lead to revoking of UA elite status, miles, etc, if you do it too often, but has anybody ever heard of this or had it done to them?
Old Jan 28, 2011, 10:42 am

Programs: UA S/AGR S+/MR G/SW CP/AA Plat
There was just a thread a few weeks ago where the poster said that United had reviewed his account and closed it due to this.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 10:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Taking the rule as listed above in Post #102, I wonder about this part:
... OR TO A MORE DISTANT POINT(S) THAN THE PASSENGER’S ACTUAL DESTINATION ...
Let's say you're flying SFO-JFK-SFO. Is your "actual destination" considered JFK or SFO? I think most people would say JFK is your destination, meaning a flight like SFO-JFK-SFO-SMF would not violate the rule. Food for thought...
Old Jan 28, 2011, 10:51 am

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by mahasamatman

Let's say you're flying SFO-JFK-SFO. Is your "actual destination" considered JFK or SFO? I think most people would say JFK is your destination, meaning a flight like SFO-JFK-SFO-SMF would not violate the rule. Food for thought...
That question is moot based on the 1st sentence in that paragraph:"FARES APPLY FOR TRAVEL ONLY BETWEEN THE POINTS FOR WHICH THEY
ARE PUBLISHED." That is the rule, the quoted part by you only explains part of it. It isn't the explanation that counts, rather the rule. It's like saying "No refunds are permitted. If you lose your ticket, it will not be refunded." Even if you don't lose it, there are no refunds, they only exploded an individual part of the bigger encompassing rule for an example or explanation to a common question.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 10:54 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by mahasamatman

You have 2 destinations for a round trip. An outbound leg and an inbound leg, thus on your outbound your destination is JFK, for your inbound leg SMF is your destination.

The rest of your ticket is going to be canceled if you miss any segment, thus SMF can be your only throw away, you would have to have a good reason to miss your last segment if questioned. Illness, emergency whatever.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 11:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by fastair
That question is moot based on the 1st sentence in that paragraph:"FARES APPLY FOR TRAVEL ONLY BETWEEN THE POINTS FOR WHICH THEY ARE PUBLISHED." That is the rule, the quoted part by you only explains part of it.
Fair enough. It just seems they could be clearer (or just eliminate the "explanation").
Old Jan 28, 2011, 5:12 pm

The key to hidden city ticketing is just to book one-ways. This clearly works LAX-JFK-SJU for instance when intending to fly LAX-JFK (DL). It also works LAS-LAX-JFK when intending to fly LAX-JFK. Missing LAS-LAX a few hours before LAX-JFK, a segment for which you are already OLCIed, does unload you from LAX-JFK. In fact, I believe the remaining itinerary after a missed segment only gets wiped in an end of day batch process.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 5:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Diamond; CCarlson Elite
Originally Posted by Colin
The key to hidden city ticketing is just to book one-ways. This clearly works LAX-JFK-SJU for instance when intending to fly LAX-JFK (DL). It also works LAS-LAX-JFK when intending to fly LAX-JFK. Missing LAS-LAX a few hours before LAX-JFK, a segment for which you are already OLCIed, does unload you from LAX-JFK. In fact, I believe the remaining itinerary after a missed segment only gets wiped in an end of day batch process.
So in your 2nd example, I think you're saying that if you OLCI to the total flight (thus having BPs in hand for both segments) you can skip the 1st segment but safely board the 2nd segment because the computer process that would wipe the 2nd segment takes place at the end of the day - after the 2nd segment.

Ignoring any possible effect on your UMP account...

1) Correct interpretation?
2) How do you know?
Old Jan 28, 2011, 5:38 pm
Used to be PWMRamper

Programs: Marriott Platinum
Not quite...

Yes, your ticket won't get Zeroed out until midnight, but you'll be offloaded from all flights and any decent agent in the connecting city will investigate and refuse a boarding pass.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 5:48 pm

blah blah blah, scare tactic. Missing the first segment does not automatically offload a checked-in passenger from the second segment. And if by some stroke of genius by the $30K/yr gate-agent strikes at LAX, then just say something like there was an accident on the 10 coming from Barstow, so I just drove to LAX instead. The chances of denial of boarding are so slight.

Play by the contrived rules of corporations all you want, but let's stop the scare tactics for everyone else. The fine print of corporate terms & conditions does not equal morality. Google through gmail knows who you are screwing outside your marriage, Facebook knows everyone you went grade school with. I take no moral counsel from them (corporations),

Last edited by Colin; Jan 28, 2011 at 5:53 pm
Old Jan 28, 2011, 5:53 pm

Thanks for the info!
Old Jan 28, 2011, 6:06 pm
Used to be PWMRamper

Programs: Marriott Platinum
blah blah blah, scare tactic. Missing the first segment does not automatically offload a checked-in passenger from the second segment.

Yes, it does...when we offload a passenger it offloads them from ALL downline flights.

And if you get an agent who knows what they are doing, they will not check you in. I've witnessed it first hand more than once. Yes, your story may work once or twice, good for you. Just don't complain if you get denied. "Accident" or not, United is not responsible for your alleged tardiness.
Old Feb 28, 2011, 2:14 pm
FW2

Programs: UA 1P, SPG Gold
Hello everyone. Has anyone ever tried claiming missing mileage credit for a segment they intentionally missed? If so, what happened? Thanks.
Old Feb 28, 2011, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by FW2
Hello everyone. Has anyone ever tried claiming missing mileage credit for a segment they intentionally missed? If so, what happened? Thanks.
Don't push your luck.

To answer your question, no.
Old Feb 28, 2011, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by FW2
Wait....are you suggesting breaking the rules of a ticket, then calling to claim miles should be earned for it? And if successful, would a request be made just after approval to have the account suspended and audited?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.