Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hidden City Risk

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2011, 12:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K, UA .53 MM, Marriott Gold, Nexus, GE, TSA Pre, Hertz PC
I'm not sure if this falls within the parameters of the 'Hidden City' agenda, but here is my situation.

I have a wedding to attend in Kansas City on 6/11. My ticketed itinerary is a round trip ORD-MCI, with the outbound on 6/10 and the return on 6/12.

It looks like I will be traveling for work, starting on Monday, 6/6. Suppose I fly ORD-SAN on 6/6 and then SAN-MCI on 6/10 (instead of flying back to ORD on 6/9). If I miss that first leg (ORD-MCI) will my return be canceled? FWIW all of the flights are on UA metal. Thanks!
Old May 20, 2011, 12:08 pm

Programs: UA 1P, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by LRMErnst
I'm not sure if this falls within the parameters of the 'Hidden City' agenda, but here is my situation.

I have a wedding to attend in Kansas City on 6/11. My ticketed itinerary is a round trip ORD-MCI, with the outbound on 6/10 and the return on 6/12.

It looks like I will be traveling for work, starting on Monday, 6/6. Suppose I fly ORD-SAN on 6/6 and then SAN-MCI on 6/10 (instead of flying back to ORD on 6/9). If I miss that first leg (ORD-MCI) will my return be canceled? FWIW all of the flights are on UA metal. Thanks!
Yes it will be cancelled, you can't miss the first leg.
Old May 21, 2011, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Yes....once you miss the outbound leg, then the return will be canceled. This isn't hidden city ticketing, this is just missing a leg of your itinerary.

Depending on how big/small your company is, or maybe more relevant, what/how strict their travel policies are, have you considered booking a ticket ORD-SAN-MCI-ORD, and canceling your ORD-MCI return ticket.

Depending on what's available fare-wise, adding MCI might not cost more (or at least, not much more) compared to the SAN round trip, especially if it involves a Sat. night stay and an ORD-SAN-ORD doesn't. Then you can just cancel your ORD-MCI round-trip, and use any credit at a later point. Changing your ORD-MCI round trip to a one way could be a huge cost increase. You're looking at a $150 change fee, plus any additional fare difference, and as we all probably know, that new one way fare could be more expensive than the round-trip.
Old May 21, 2011, 11:17 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Yes. Your ticket will be cancelled when you don't board the first leg.

Before you read options below, it's essential that you pull up the fare rules for your ORD-MCI-ORD ticket, your ORD-SAN-ORD ticket and your corporate travel policy. You will need to go through them carefully. It's easy for both CSR and corporate travel types to just say "no" when there is a solution.

Options are: 1) Check the price of ORD-SAN-MCI-ORD through your corporate travel. If it's more than ORD-SAN-ORD, pay the difference out of your pocket, cancel the ORD-MCI-ORD (presuming you booked a discounted fare with no refund and a change fee) and use that as a credit down the road (if fare bucket allows). 2) Call UA and explain. They will almost certainly agree to change the ticket to MCI-ORD only, although you will not likely see any refund/credit and may actually be charged a change fee. 3) Call UA and determine what it would cost to change your current ORD-MCI-ORD to ORD-SAN-MCI-ORD, pay the difference and submit the cost of ORD-SAN-ORD for reimbursement (all presuming that your corporate travel policy either allows for this or that if it does not, that an appropriate person will authorize it).

If neither UA nor your employer budge, you should plan ahead and figure out the best deal you can today for MCI-ORD because you will have lost the value of ORD-MCI-ORD and don't want to arrive at MCI to fly back to ORD only to be forced to pay for a walk-up one-way ticket.
Old Jun 2, 2011, 5:21 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, Hyatt LT Globalist, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
I have an ORD-LAS one way segment booked. I'll need to get to ORD from WAS at some point before that flight, but because of an uncertain work schedule, I've decided to wait to book the WAS-ORD segment.

CO is selling a great DCA-ORD-MKE fare on UA metal with CO flight numbers. If I book the DCA-ORD-MKE flights through CO and use my OP number, will this avoid having either the ORD-LAS or ORD-MKE segments canceled out because of duplicate bookings/hidden city? Or does it even matter and is it safe to use my MP number?
Old Jun 3, 2011, 6:33 pm

Programs: kayaker
Originally Posted by Peatisback
I have an ORD-LAS one way segment booked. I'll need to get to ORD from WAS at some point before that flight, but because of an uncertain work schedule, I've decided to wait to book the WAS-ORD segment.

CO is selling a great DCA-ORD-MKE fare on UA metal with CO flight numbers. If I book the DCA-ORD-MKE flights through CO and use my OP number, will this avoid having either the ORD-LAS or ORD-MKE segments canceled out because of duplicate bookings/hidden city? Or does it even matter and is it safe to use my MP number?
I have a similar scenario that I need some advice on.

Gf is traveling AAA-BBB-CCC. However, price for this itinerary is around $1000. Price for AAA-BBB-DDD and separate price for BBB-CCC o/w is a total of only around $500. If she has both a BBB-CCC and BBB-DDD leg booked under her name (with similar departure times), will UACO cancel both her trips because of schedule conflicts?
Old Jun 4, 2011, 7:57 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle

IME the computer will delete your most recently booked itin. because of the departure times, not hidden city. Actually you don't have a hidden city in your case it is a throwaway leg to your itinerary. Thus within 24 hours after booking if the computer deletes your most recent booking because your departure times are overlapping fine.

I would not use the same FF #'s as this is what will put the itineraries onto one account. Purchase and if you don't have it cancelled within the first 24 hours you are good IME.
Old Jun 4, 2011, 9:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by schley
Actually you don't have a hidden city in your case it is a throwaway leg to your itinerary.
That's the definition of hidden city.
Old Jun 4, 2011, 10:44 am

Programs: DL DM MM, Hyatt LT Globalist, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by schley
IME the computer will delete your most recently booked itin. because of the departure times, not hidden city. Actually you don't have a hidden city in your case it is a throwaway leg to your itinerary. Thus within 24 hours after booking if the computer deletes your most recent booking because your departure times are overlapping fine.

I would not use the same FF #'s as this is what will put the itineraries onto one account. Purchase and if you don't have it cancelled within the first 24 hours you are good IME.
One reservation is through United with my MP number. If I book the other through CO with my OnePass number, do you think the computer would delete it since my accounts (and to some degree) the systems are merged ? Of course, maybe the only way to find out is to just book it and see what happens....
Old Jun 4, 2011, 12:17 pm

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
That's the definition of hidden city.
Correct. I was thinking back to back ticketing.

One reservation is through United with my MP number. If I book the other through CO with my OnePass number, do you think the computer would delete it since my accounts (and to some degree) the systems are merged ? Of course, maybe the only way to find out is to just book it and see what happens....
Book it and see what happens. Report back.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jun 4, 2011 at 10:49 pm Reason: merge
Old Jun 4, 2012, 4:04 pm

Flying different airlines/airports for Hidden City Flying

I have a few questions on how this hidden city flying works. If I fly a one way ticket from Edmonton to Denver to Seattle and get off in Denver, can the airline cancel my other one way ticket from Denver to Edmonton a few days later even though it is on a completely different airline than I flew to get there with?

If they still can cancel another airlines flight on a one way ticket than what if I flew my return flight from Colorado Springs again on a seperate airline. It would be a United flight down there and Alaskan Airlines or Delta home. The flight from Edmonton to Denver to Seattle is $200 cheaper than a direct flight from Edmonton to Denver.

The dumb thing is if United would just let me get off in Denver I would have flown their airline back to Edmonton, but now I am almost certain to fly a different airline meaning they are losing more money than if they just let me get off in Denver in the first place.

Thanks to anyone who gives me insight on switching airlines and maybe airports it is much appreciated.
Old Jun 4, 2012, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Rangers71
I have a few questions on how this hidden city flying works. If I fly a one way ticket from Edmonton to Denver to Seattle and get off in Denver, can the airline cancel my other one way ticket from Denver to Edmonton a few days later even though it is on a completely different airline than I flew to get there with?

If they still can cancel another airlines flight on a one way ticket than what if I flew my return flight from Colorado Springs again on a seperate airline. It would be a United flight down there and Alaskan Airlines or Delta home. The flight from Edmonton to Denver to Seattle is $200 cheaper than a direct flight from Edmonton to Denver.

The dumb thing is if United would just let me get off in Denver I would have flown their airline back to Edmonton, but now I am almost certain to fly a different airline meaning they are losing more money than if they just let me get off in Denver in the first place.

Thanks to anyone who gives me insight on switching airlines and maybe airports it is much appreciated.
It will be no problem. Welcome to FT! ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.