Wiki Posts
Search

FRA mileage run trip report

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2009, 7:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1P MM, SPG Lifetime Gold
FRA mileage run trip report

Booked a same day turn LAX-ORD-FRA-SFO-LAX with fuel dump. Outbound booked in W so was able to upgrade, TATL leg cleared almost immediately but domestic didn't clear until day of flight.

Get to Chicago and as I'm boarding I hear the gate agent ask for volunteers. Having already entered the jetway, decide to take my seat. Getting up to use the lav, I see the agents talking to a couple passengers saying they double booked their seats and 2 people will have to get off. $800 and same class of service (C) on the LH flight at 10pm as well as upgrade on the return. I jump for it. I later negotiate a SWU to replace the one used for the outbound, C on the return (which was an S fare, non upgradeable) and meal voucher.

Word of caution for anyone having the same offer!! LH agent later looks at the fare I paid (sub $500) and says there is no way she can book me in C, even though UA has already done so. Have to take a Y seat, but booked in Y fare. She gives me a bulkhead window, all things considered not a bad flight.

At FRA, go straight to the RCC as instructed to do so by others here and ask for my boarding pass. I say that I got bumped off my flight and they initially thought it was a flight out of FRA, not the inbound. In any case, no problem, they didn't even question why I am turning right around.

Try to go stand by on an earlier flight to SFO, but 30 minutes prior with boarding still in process get denied. Didn't provide an explanation, I figure with intl rules may not be the same as domestic and in Germany, I don't think I can convince them to reconsider. I then head towards the SEN lounge for a shower and some refreshments.

In any case, was able to stay in the secure zone and not have to go out through customs and immigration. Did have to go through security check to get to SEN lounge and to get to gate.

Question to others who have gone through this sort of situation regarding EQMs.

No flights have yet credited. Will I get 150% for LH flight ORD-FRA booked in Y and 300% for UA flight FRA-LAX booked in C?

I asked on another post whether the LH leg could get credited for original booking. Probably should have tried harder to stay on UA metal, but wanted to do a same day turn which was proving difficult if not impossible to do.

For my first same day turn intl MR, all in all a very pleasant experience. Was expecting a dreadful FRA-SFO flight as E+ was pretty full. If I get the bonus on the EQMs above, will make it all the better.
Old May 24, 2009, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by PCTraveler

Word of caution for anyone having the same offer!! LH agent later looks at the fare I paid (sub $500) and says there is no way she can book me in C, even though UA has already done so. Have to take a Y seat, but booked in Y fare. She gives me a bulkhead window, all things considered not a bad flight.
Ugh. Anyone who is using SWUs for TATL MRs would be well advised to keep at least one paper SWU for LH handy. You should ask for another SWU from in comp since you VDBed on the assumption you'd be in a C on the replacement flight.

Try to go stand by on an earlier flight to SFO, but 30 minutes prior with boarding still in process get denied. Didn't provide an explanation, I figure with intl rules may not be the same as domestic and in Germany, I don't think I can convince them to reconsider. I then head towards the SEN lounge for a shower and some refreshments.
For the sake of your fellow pax, I'm happy they denied the standby.

I asked on another post whether the LH leg could get credited for original booking. Probably should have tried harder to stay on UA metal, but wanted to do a same day turn which was proving difficult if not impossible to do.
You might have to call, but yes. It makes little difference in terms of EQMs and RDMs (since UA has a special deal with LH on TATLs), but it makes a big difference in terms of lifetime BIS.
Old May 24, 2009, 8:10 am

Programs: UA MM Gold
Good report. Anytime you get $800 on a flt that only cost you $500, things are pretty good, regardless of how the other stuff sorts out. As for the mileage, I don't think you will really know until it posts.....
Old May 24, 2009, 9:05 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
No flights have yet credited. Will I get 150% for LH flight ORD-FRA booked in Y and 300% for UA flight FRA-LAX booked in C?
The answer is most likely yes and yes.
Old May 24, 2009, 9:53 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Life Plat, various others of little note
Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR
The answer is most likely yes and yes.
You could also try to get original credit for the UA TATL flight to FRA, since you were bumped.
Old May 24, 2009, 10:30 pm
Original Poster

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8220/4.6.0.180 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

@mre good point on the SWU and BIS miles. I asked for 2, but the agent claimed they get scrutinized over these and can only do one per incident. I'll call about the credit for the bump and report back on the result. I never would have considered printing an LH SWU but the one used was my last anyway.

Some other observations:

If flights are on time, 4 hours is almost too long. Got pretty sleepy waiting for the flight and there's not much to do at FRA inside the secure zone other than duty free shop.

Didn't get any questions or funny looks wrt my itinerary. Experienced agents have either seen it all.

Tried to explain MR to SFO immigration agent and he finally gave me the crazy look. Typed some notes in his computer before stamping my landing card and saying welcome home. Wonder what the notes said. Don't recall notes being entered on any previous entry.

LH IFE is far superior to UA, probably not news to anyone. Video on demand is biggest difference. Not sure about the small, like 5 oz cups they serve drinks in without leaving the can. Kind of like TED but with free alcohol.

Cool cell phone charging kiosk at SEN lounge in FRA. Didn't need my charger or converter plug. It asks for a pin to enter to keep phone secure while charging.

Bump offer was $800 check or $1000 voucher, can't imagine many taking the voucher especially if domestic only and has to be used in one shot.

Last edited by PCTraveler; May 24, 2009 at 10:34 pm
Old May 25, 2009, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

LH IFE is far superior to UA, probably not news to anyone. Video on demand is biggest difference. Not sure about the small, like 5 oz cups they serve drinks in without leaving the can. Kind of like TED but with free alcohol.
Thanks for your report on your VDB experience!

I take you experienced UAs old business class, as the new C & F AVOD is generally considered at par or superior to LHs.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; May 25, 2009 at 7:37 pm Reason: fix html
Old May 25, 2009, 5:38 pm

Programs: DL Silver Medallion
Originally Posted by cesco.g

I take you experienced UAs old business class, as the new C & F AVOD is generally considered at par or superior to LHs.
I took the OP to mean that LH's IFE in Y is better than the equivalent of UA's Y.
Old May 25, 2009, 5:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, HHonors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite
"Tried to explain MR to SFO immigration agent and he finally gave me the crazy look. Typed some notes in his computer before stamping my landing card and saying welcome home. Wonder what the notes said. Don't recall notes being entered on any previous entry."
All the times I have done an international MR, I always tell the Immigration Agent what I was doing and they all just laughed and shook their heads. I always figured that was better than making up a story that may not stand up to scrutiny.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; May 25, 2009 at 7:38 pm Reason: proper quote attribution
Old May 25, 2009, 9:36 pm

Programs: UA 1.6MM
Originally Posted by Boghopper
You could also try to get original credit for the UA TATL flight to FRA, since you were bumped.
When you VDB, you do not get original routing credit.

Only for INVOLUNTARY re-routes (ie weather, mechanical, IDB, etc..) can you get original routing credit.
Old May 26, 2009, 9:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cesco.g

Yes, I haven't yet flown the new C or F product, and I was comparing to the old C and Y.

Originally Posted by warreng24
When you VDB, you do not get original routing credit.

Only for INVOLUNTARY re-routes (ie weather, mechanical, IDB, etc..) can you get original routing credit.
I was bumped along with another passenger who was involuntary. Interestingly, I looked at my revised receipt and it is noted as "invol reroute."

Update: I called and there was no problem switching the credit from LH to UA (for the single leg), in fact she was able to do so over the phone. I lost the full Y credit on LH but gained the DEQM and lifetime EQM on UA. She didn't ask whether it was involuntary, so I can't confirm whether that makes a difference.

I also asked for the SWU that I used on the outbound to be switched out for e500s, since I didn't get the international upgrade. She immediately understood what I was asking for and said she couldn't approve but could submit a request. Great agent. Fingers crossed that that will come through as well!

BTW, as people have noted above, I did get credit for full C on the return and initially received full Y on the LH flight but changed to my original fare basis for the return.

Last edited by PCTraveler; May 26, 2009 at 10:21 am
Old May 26, 2009, 9:41 am

Programs: JL Diamond, CX MPC Silver, OW Emerald, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Update: I called and there was no problem switching the credit from LH to UA (for the single leg), in fact she was able to do so over the phone. I lost the full Y credit on LH but gained the DEQM and lifetime EQM on UA. She didn't ask whether it was involuntary, so I can't confirm whether that makes a difference.
I wonder, if you request your LH segment mileage AGAIN online (not via agent) after being taken off by MP agent, will there be a chance that it will show up again? In other word, how likely can one "double-dip" on this situation?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.