Wiki Posts
Search

Refund Audited?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2001, 6:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: several
Refund Audited?

I recently applied for a refund on a restricted SEA-SIN trip that I was forced to cancel.
Two days before the trip, my wife was rushed to the hospital for emergency surgery, serious, but not life-threatening. Needless to say, I couldn't leave her. I called UA to cancel immediately, explaining the situation to several different CSR's on several different calls, (weighing my options). According to the fare rules, (Rule 6160, Article 20): "Cancellation penalty is $100, waived for illness or death of passenger or family member."
I finally got through to a helpful & understanding CST at Customer Relations who made notations in my file & instructed me to submit the refund & a letter from the surgeon to the local Ticket office.

Calling back to check today (after 10+ business days), UA Refunds says it is now being audited. However, it seems to me that my cancellation falls within their rules. Any thoughts whether I might run into further problems? Other suggestions are very welcome.

Thanks in advance.

"20.CANCELLATIONS AND REFUNDS:
UNLESS OTHERWISE SPECIFIED

CANCELLATIONS

ANY TIME
CHARGE USD 100.00 FOR CANCEL/NO-SHOW/REFUND.
CHILD/INFANT DISCOUNTS APPLY.
WAIVED FOR ILLNESS OR DEATH OF PASSENGER OR FAMILY
MEMBER.
NOTE -
ILLNESS/DEATH OF PASSENGER OR FAMILY MEMBER MUST
BE SUBSTANTIATED BY MEDICAL CERITFICATE."
Old Oct 23, 2001, 7:13 pm
GGpillow

The audit is standard, and pretty much just a procedural thing. After refunds gets your refund request, they have to match it up with your pnr, check for comments, read the fare rules, make sure the agent didn't punch in 2000.00 instead of 200.00 for refund amount etc. You shouldn't have any problems getting your refund.

Old Oct 24, 2001, 2:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: several
So I guess I should just sit tight, and if they don't honor it it by December, take it up with UA in writing?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.