Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Everything you wanted to know about CR1 - Regional Upgrades

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Everything you wanted to know about CR1 - Regional Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2009, 12:26 pm

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by cepheid
You might want to see the FlyerGuide Wiki article on this topic, in place for about 2 months. I recommend linking to it from the OP; feel free to "borrow" material from it for inclusion in the OP, as well.
Can someone explain this line from the above wiki?

N.B. Because of the above, a non-1K member who qualifies for 1K status will receive 2 CR-1s for the quarter in which s/he attains 1K status, even though this is not officially published.
Old Jun 12, 2009, 4:07 pm

Programs: UA, AA, WN; HH, MR, IHG
Originally Posted by schley
N.B. Because of the above, a non-1K member who qualifies for 1K status will receive 2 CR-1s for the quarter in which s/he attains 1K status, even though this is not officially published.
The method in which CR-1s post is published as "fly 10K BIS per quarter" ... but the method in which they actually post is "cross the 10K BIS threshold during the quarter." In other words, the 10K BIS counter isn't reset each quarter; it's the same counter used for e500s, even though this is in direct contradiction to the published method.

Because of this discrepancy, when you become a 1K, the next time you cross the 10K BIS threshold you will receive CR-1s, even if not all of those 10K BIS were flown as a 1K.
Old Jun 12, 2009, 6:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by bmvaughn
Do you have a specific question? There's been no post since May in this thread.
Did you see a question mark in my post?
Old Jun 12, 2009, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by schley
I posted this in another thread...example, I qualified for 1K on my last flight of the year last year (12/23). I previously had e500s post earlier in Q4. I then had my first CR-1s post in the January Q1 sweep, even though I flew 0 miles as a 1K in Q4.
Old Jun 13, 2009, 1:42 pm

Programs: Mosaic 2, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Premium Cabin free agent
So this is going to sound like a dumb question but a little confused on how this works. Since the CR1's follow the e500 counter is there also a counter that only allows 2 CR1's per quarter to be earned? Since one can only earn 8 CR1's / year can I earn 2 sets of CR1's in one quarter as long as I haven't earned the max of 8 for the year? Just curious because I just found out that I will be going to hkg in October by which time I will be a 1k. Any insight would help. Thanks!
Old Jun 13, 2009, 4:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UnitedEF
So this is going to sound like a dumb question but a little confused on how this works. Since the CR1's follow the e500 counter is there also a counter that only allows 2 CR1's per quarter to be earned? Since one can only earn 8 CR1's / year can I earn 2 sets of CR1's in one quarter as long as I haven't earned the max of 8 for the year? Just curious because I just found out that I will be going to hkg in October by which time I will be a 1k. Any insight would help. Thanks!
You can only earn 2 CR1s per quarter. Therefore it is to your benefit to try and hit the e500 mark in every quarter.
Old Jun 15, 2009, 10:31 pm

Programs: United Premier Gold (Million Miler), Alaska MVP Gold 75K, Hilton Diamond Lifetime
Applying CR-1s to two segments

So when you're flying two segments cross country (of course being a loyal United flyer and they don't have a nonstop flight), applying a CR-1 can be tricky because, as luck would have it, the short segment (e.g. SEA-SFO) clears immediately, but the long segment (e.g. SFO-PHL) does not, so you've now wasted a CR-1 for a one-hour hop with no meal.

Any pointers on this? For today's trip (SEA-ORD-PHL), I only asked to upgrade SEA-ORD because it's longer, but when I cleared (at the gate with 2 minutes to board), I called the 1K line and asked to add the ORD-PHL, which she said she did. But when I got to O'Hare, my name was nowhere on the board and they filled first class with other (presumably non-1Ks, although I can't prove that).

I would have asked the GA, but this was gate B18 at 6PM which kind of reminded me of Terminal 2 . It wasn't the worst thing in the world to sit in coach for 90 minutes, so I just put up with it.
Old Jun 15, 2009, 10:42 pm
Original Poster

I would do the same as you did, except apply e500s to the ord-phl beforehand.

If your CR1 clears then at the gate it's pretty easy (IME) to swap to your CR-1 for the second segment if the e500s have already cleared into F. If they haven't, when the e500s clear at the gate you can just tell the agent you want to apply your CR1.

You don't even need e500s to apply for an e500 upgrade until check-in, so if it clears before check-in then there's no gate dance as you can just swap it to a CR1 at that time.
Old Jun 29, 2009, 11:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, UA 1K 1MM, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by nnn
...(timely, in light of the current CR-1 promotion)...
I have been searching - unsuccessfully - for a link to this CR-1 promotion. Anyone help? Thx
Old Jun 29, 2009, 11:43 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by US @ DEN
I have been searching - unsuccessfully - for a link to this CR-1 promotion. Anyone help? Thx
It is a targeted promotion, so unless you received the e-mail (which I did not) it won't do any good to register.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-purchase.html
Old Jul 20, 2009, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
CR1 Usage Question

My Apologies if this topic has already been covered, but I'm planning on using a CR1 to upgrade LAX-SFO-HNL. LAX-SFO currently has NF9 while SFO-HNL has NF0. So, obviously I do not want to waste my CR1 if my SFO-HNL doesnt clear. So, my plan is to use 1 500 miler to request upgrade for LAX-SFO and separately, use another CR1 to request upgrade for SFO-HNL.

If both of them clear before check in, can I at anytime call 1K desk or wait until the airport to have the agent not use the extra 500 milers and use the CR1 to cover all legs?
Old Jul 20, 2009, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Honestly, I wouldn't mess with all of that.

You're a 1K, this is a leisure route. You'll clear sooner or later.

I would just request it all.
Old Jul 20, 2009, 4:09 pm

+1

On my recent HNL flight a few weeks ago, there were only 2 1Ks and 4 1Ps on 767. There were still a couple of empty seats in F even after NRSAs boarded while Y seemed to be full.
Old Jul 20, 2009, 4:52 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
I'd do exactly as you propose except I wouldn't bother asking for one e500 back. Then again I have a lot of e500s.
Old Jul 20, 2009, 5:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K-MM
I do this a lot - just apply the CR1 to the whole outbound trip, then back it out at the 100 hour mark if it doesn't clear and use e500's. Even if your original fare class isn't available to back it out, you can still switch it at the airport when you check in.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.