FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileage-plus-pre-merger-504/)
-   -   Everything you wanted to know about CR1 - Regional Upgrades (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileage-plus-pre-merger/950535-everything-you-wanted-know-about-cr1-regional-upgrades.html)

CPMaverick May 4, 2009 3:38 pm

Everything you wanted to know about CR1 - Regional Upgrades

This thread is out of date! It is about CR1 earning and redemption in the e500 upgrade days.

Well, we really need a thread explaining CR1s to the masses, and as a reference for those of us with short memories! Feel free to add info and correct this thread and I'll update it!

REGIONAL UPGRADE WIKI contains great info about the Regional Upgrade.

What is a CR1?

CR1 stands for a Confirmed Regional Upgrade for Region 1.
United calls this simply a 'Regional Upgrade', so refer to it this way when communicating with United.
United.com description
Official Terms and Conditions for the Regional Upgrade

What comprises Region 1?

North America including Hawaii, the Carribean, and Central America
Region 1 definition

What flights can I use a CR1 on?

Only United / United Express metal. If you are on United metal but ticketed with another carrier, you can use a CR1, but only at the airport (cannot be confirmed in advance)

How many flights can I use a Cr1 on?

A CR1 is intended for one-way use. You can use a CR1 for multiple flights, but if it only clears for one leg, it is considered used. It cannot bridge a stopover.

United.com 5/2009:

• One Regional Upgrade may be used to upgrade one passenger on a nonstop or connecting itinerary, up to the point of stopover.
• Additional upgrades are required for itineraries with stopovers.
• If a Regional Upgrade is used or confirmed on only a portion of a multiple segment connecting itinerary, one upgrade will still be required and no refund of the upgrade is permitted.
What fare classes qualify?

• United Business (C,D)
• United Economy (Y,B,M,E,H,U,Q,V,W,S,T,K,L)

Z fares and G fares are not eligble, and neither are award tickets (except GS)
(current 5/2009)

How are CR1 upgrades confirmed?

They are similar to mileage upgrades. If NC or NF are available, they confirm immediately. If not, they waitlist. The waitlist is cleared on a first come, first served basis until the flight comes under airport control.

When do CR1s expire?

CR-1s are valid through the end of the month one year after issuance. They must be used (not just applied) by the date of expiry, i.e. the scheduled departure date and time of an upgraded flight must be prior to the expiration date of the CR-1. Expired CR-1s cannot be reinstated and do not convert to miles.

Who earns CR1s?

1K elites earn CR1s.

United.com wording 5/2009:

1KŪ members earn two Regional Upgrades per 10,000 qualifying flown miles on United and United Express per quarter, up to a maximum of eight upgrades per calendar year
Million Milers (1,000,000 BIS miles) earn 2 CR1s every January after they acheive MM status

In some cases, CR1s have been given for CS reasons to other elites.

How are CR1s earned for 1Ks?

This is the tricky part. United.com states the following (5/2009)

1KŪ members earn two Regional Upgrades per 10,000 qualifying flown miles on United and United Express per quarter, up to a maximum of eight upgrades per calendar year.
In practice, CR1s are earned in the following manner:
- e500s post based on BIS miles (500 minimum per flight)
- CR1s post on the second Saturday of each month, after the e500s post.
Therefore, if your e500s post on the last Saturday in April, your CR1s will post the 2nd Saturday of May.

If you get e500s in a quarter, you WILL receive CR1s that quarter.
The BIS counter only resets each year, and you do not have to actually fly 10k per quarter to earn CR1s.

You cannot earn more than 2 CR1s per quarter (excepting MM, CS reasons)

If I just made 1K, when will my CR1s post?

**Updated 11/09**

A new 1K will receive CR1s if they post e500s in the same quarter. The 1Ks will post on the second Saturday of the month after these have both occurred. You do not have to fly 10k miles as a 1K to receive your first CR1s. In fact, there is evidence that you do not have to fly ANY miles after reaching 1K to receive your first CR1s. You just need to have e500s post in the same quarter that you make 1K.

Can I sponsor a CR1?

Yes
https://www.ua2go.com/ci/Login.jsp?r...to=eug_sponsor

Why doesn't the CR1 show up in the upgrade drop-down list?

United.com has a bug that prevents a CR1 being used in some cases. You must call and use your upgrade.

keywords: CR-1, CR-1s, CR1s CR1 Confirmed Regional Upgrade Mileage Plus

mahasamatman May 4, 2009 3:43 pm

Why doesn't the agent understand when I call it a CR-1?

CR-1 is an FT-specific term. When speaking with United, simply call it a "regional upgrade".

ordogg May 4, 2009 3:46 pm

awesome post, thank you from a soon-to-be 1K!

flyboiboeing May 4, 2009 3:48 pm

excellent thread. i'll start the first question. if i have a flight that goes sfo-iad-jfk-ord-sna with no stopovers, can i use one CR1 or is it 2? the fare was obviously 2 different fares (sfo to jfk, and jfk to sna), but all connections are less than 2 hours. is it the "fare break" that matters how far i can go on 1 CR1 or is it the fact that there's no stops less than 4 hours so therefore only 1 is needed?

second question:
i have a flight sfo-ord (stopover for 6 hours) to jfk
CR1 clears sfo-ord
I standby an earlier ord-jfk flight
can i upgrade that based on the CR1 i already used, or do i have to provide a new upgrade instrument?

third question:
if i have a flight sfo-ord connecting ord-jfk legal and confirmed with a cr1 then i standby for an earlier sfo-ord flight, which now has a 6 hour stopover in ord, do i lose my upgrade on either segment?

CPMaverick May 4, 2009 4:05 pm

Good questions, I'll leave them to someone with experience in those situations. For the airport situations, I think it would be mostly up to the agent you get, I don't know the rules. Once it is established I'll try and add the info to the top.

cepheid May 4, 2009 4:06 pm

You might want to see the FlyerGuide Wiki article on this topic, in place for about 2 months. I recommend linking to it from the OP; feel free to "borrow" material from it for inclusion in the OP, as well. :)

BETA May 4, 2009 4:16 pm

I believe that million mile flyers get two CR-1s the beginning of each year.

CPMaverick May 5, 2009 6:30 am

Originally Posted by BETA (Post 11693710)
I believe that million mile flyers get two CR-1s the beginning of each year.

Thanks, updated

WineCountryUA May 8, 2009 2:08 pm

This would be good to add to the summary, although the wording might ought to be "reserved" not deducted?

Originally Posted by United PR (Post 11716698)
Hi all,
Saw this question and wanted to clarify that CR-1’s are deducted from your account based on the nearest expiration date.
Cheers,
United PR

nnn May 8, 2009 2:14 pm

How about an answer to this question (timely, in light of the current CR-1 promotion):

If I confirm an upgrade using 15,000 miles, will I be allowed to switch to using a CR-1 at check in instead?

as219 May 8, 2009 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by nnn (Post 11718147)
How about an answer to this question (timely, in light of the current CR-1 promotion):

If I confirm an upgrade using 15,000 miles, will I be allowed to switch to using a CR-1 at check in instead?

In theory, no. In practice, sometimes yes.

The process of changing upgrade instruments isn't a simple swap-out. In the case you describe, there would be technically four steps: (1) downgrade into Y (assuming there was still the applicable Y fare you originally purchased), (2) put RDMs back into your account, (3) reapply new instrument (i.e., CR-1), (4) be reinserted into the DM upgrade queue. If there was enough NC/NF inventory, it wouldn't be a problem; you'd be back into the upgraded cabin supported by the CR-1 instead of the miles. But if there were a waitlist already in place at check-in, technically you'd have to be reinserted into the list based on status/fare/checkin time. Unknowledgeable agents would take some time to go through these four steps; those worth their salt could do it quickly.

Your question, of course, is whether you could "hold" the confirmed upgrade with RDMs, then swap out for the short-duration CR-1 that you'd earn after booking but before travel. The short answer is no, you can't do this.

That said, if the agent is good, and inclined to help (i.e., break the rules), it is possible to create a dummy booking in the upgraded cabin (even if it is sold to capacity), move the details over to the new booking, then deduct the CR-1, without having to put you back into Y first. They have to be good (and fast) to do this, though, and it certainly can't be counted on.

So, the end answer is: Don't count on it.

anc-ord772 May 8, 2009 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by as219 (Post 11718232)
In theory, no. In practice, sometimes yes. [snip] That said, if the agent is good, and inclined to help (i.e., break the rules), it is possible to create a dummy booking in the upgraded cabin (even if it is sold to capacity), move the details over to the new booking, then deduct the CR-1, without having to put you back into Y first. They have to be good (and fast) to do this, though, and it certainly can't be counted on.

So, the end answer is: Don't count on it.

I tried in vain to find a good agent who would do this for me. After three calls I gave up. Not like the good old days.

Luckily the CR1 cleared the day before the flight.

bmvaughn May 8, 2009 2:59 pm

Hopefully the swapping of upgrade instruments when it involves e500s is less and less allowed.

CPMaverick Jun 12, 2009 12:13 pm

Bump due to recent CR1 posting confusion

bmvaughn Jun 12, 2009 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by CPMaverick (Post 11898012)
Bump due to recent CR1 posting confusion

Do you have a specific question? There's been no post since May in this thread.