Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New cleaning procedures due to swine flu??

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2009, 11:07 pm

Wow, really? Some of the cleaning crews must be really quick then. I had an aircraft turn around (with cleaning done) in 15 minutes at IAD today. I wonder if they really wiped down all of the tray tables like they were supposed to.
Old May 3, 2009, 11:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Former UA GS, demoted to lowly 1K MM
The LAX-DEN return this evening turned much quicker, and there were pillows and blankets aplenty.
Old May 3, 2009, 11:50 pm

Programs: UA 1k / SPG Gold / Hilton Gold / Regular peon for all other programs.
A friend of mine is one of the CS supervisors at a line station for UA and she told me yesterday that their station's cleaning vendor will clean all tray tables and overhead bin latches/handles, amongst other surfaces that are touched most frequently by passengers. At her station, the cleaners realized it was faster for one person to walk thru the cabin unlatching all tray tables, then having another person behind to wipe the tables down. Then either the first person or someone else walks thru to latch the tables again.

Let's hope these procedures stay for a long time after this health issue disappears.
Old May 4, 2009, 1:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Even before the swine flu scare (and if it's somewhat overblown I'm actually GLAD -- better a tad too MUCH caution than a tad too LITTLE), United undertook an inititiative to clean up several years' worth of grime. There's a thread here somewhere about it (too lazy to search for it right now). Basically, they've been running their fleet through a series of deep-cleans.
And the difference is VERY noticeable. The planes I've flown on recently have been WAY cleaner than they've been in years. They don't necessarily look "brand new," as there are a few dings and other signs of wear, but the newfound cleanness is like a breath of fresh air. ^

And I agree with others that if they could continue the wipe-down/disinfection of tray tables, overhead bin handles, etc. even AFTER the swine flu scare has abated, that would be an excellent idea. I've often felt that flying subjects you to too many health risks -- jet lag, fatigue, and recycled, germ-laden air (and/or coughers/sneezers directly spraying you), unhygienic bathrooms, etc., and the more measures the airlines can take, the better. @:-)

Last edited by KathyWdrf; May 4, 2009 at 1:30 am
Old May 4, 2009, 3:46 am

Programs: UA GS, Avis CHM, Marriott & SPG & PC Plat., Hyatt & Hilton Diamond
No blankets/pillows on last night IAD-SFO in F&Y! I guess it will be BYOP&BYOB from now on...
Old May 4, 2009, 3:51 am

Programs: VA Gold, UA, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Ambassador
Originally Posted by aluminumdriver
United did put out a policy change yesterday to do exactly that, so it was true. Maybe we can end up with a lot cleaner jets now.
Well that is great news ^. Well done. Tray table and overhead bin latch cleaning should have been happening anyway IMHO, but I guess its better late than never .

Last edited by Downunder girl; May 5, 2009 at 7:57 am
Old May 4, 2009, 4:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Originally Posted by Downunder girl
Well that is great news ^. Well done. Should have been happening anyway, but I guess its better late than never .
Any extra "swine-flu cleaning" is just icing on the cake, so to speak. It's the deep-cleaning that is making the aircraft MUCH cleaner than they have been in the last several years.

Last edited by iluv2fly; May 4, 2009 at 9:33 am Reason: unnecessary
Old May 4, 2009, 5:14 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by wendySFO
No blanket in Y on 4/30 flight SFO-FRA too, according to the FA it was due to the swine flu.
Ditto for IAD/ZRH......I suspect we may never see those blankies again.
Old May 4, 2009, 6:50 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Are the actually cleaning the restrooms too or is the hanging coffee bag method still in place?
Old May 4, 2009, 9:54 am

Programs: HH Silver, Eurostar CarteBlanche
Due to the flu they have relocated the blankets and any clean pillows to one overhead bin, they will be still in plastic. If you do not see any, ask or take a look around, they might still be onboard.
Old May 4, 2009, 11:13 am

Programs: UA 1K-MM
Originally Posted by heffa
No blankets/pillows on last night IAD-SFO in F&Y! I guess it will be BYOP&BYOB from now on...
I was on UA225 IAD-SFO last night, and they specifically announced a the gate that due to the flu they would not have pillows and blankets. Also, the F lav had hand sanitizer and the sink taped off so it couldn't be used. Don't know if it was inop, or due to the flu too.
Old May 4, 2009, 2:24 pm

Programs: UA GS, Avis CHM, Marriott & SPG & PC Plat., Hyatt & Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Lightman7
I was on UA225 IAD-SFO last night, and they specifically announced a the gate that due to the flu they would not have pillows and blankets. Also, the F lav had hand sanitizer and the sink taped off so it couldn't be used. Don't know if it was inop, or due to the flu too.
The announcement came after I boarded (6A-no upgrade for me ) When boarding I heard the female GA asking the male GA what the name of the flu was. She didn't get the characters&numbers correct...

Nice to be on the same flight as a great FlyerTalker!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.