New cleaning procedures due to swine flu??

Old May 2, 09, 12:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Former UA GS, demoted to lowly 1K MM
New cleaning procedures due to swine flu??

Boarding for my DEN-LAX flight last night was delayed, and the GA apologized multiple times and said the plane was taking longer to clean than normal due to UA's new swine flu procedures. He said that these new procedures dictate that every tray table is wiped down, and the whole plane is disinfected after each flight.

Has anyone else encountered these new thorough cleanings yet, or has the swine flu already become a convenient excuse used by staff when it seems like it will go over easier than the truth?
Old May 2, 09, 12:03 pm

Programs: No longer loyal "over-entitled" 1K
It should have been that way all the time.
I hope it is true and continues after the whole SI thing.
Old May 2, 09, 12:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K, once-upon-a-time NW Gold, BMI Gold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
DEN-BOS had no blankets this morning. Not sure if it was related.

It was also the most empty flight I've been on in a long time. Virtually everyone had their own row, and their were many rows completely empty!
Old May 2, 09, 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by bikenski View Post
Boarding for my DEN-LAX flight last night was delayed, and the GA apologized multiple times and said the plane was taking longer to clean than normal due to UA's new swine flu procedures. He said that these new procedures dictate that every tray table is wiped down, and the whole plane is disinfected after each flight.

Has anyone else encountered these new thorough cleanings yet, or has the swine flu already become a convenient excuse used by staff when it seems like it will go over easier than the truth?
United did put out a policy change yesterday to do exactly that, so it was true. Maybe we can end up with a lot cleaner jets now.
Old May 2, 09, 1:33 pm

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
it's what the cruise ships have done for quite some time. Only makes sense airlines pay a bit of attention to simple hygiene.
Old May 2, 09, 2:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Life Plat, various others of little note
Almost no blankets HKG-SFO today. They said it was because of cleaning procedures.
Old May 2, 09, 2:13 pm

Programs: N/A
About time, cleaner planes.

Too bad it took the damn swine flu to get United to straighten up their act.
Old May 2, 09, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
The big question is if UA will continue to do this after this thing blows over.
Old May 2, 09, 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by prestonh View Post
it's what the cruise ships have done for quite some time. Only makes sense airlines pay a bit of attention to simple hygiene.
How many turns does a cruise ship do every day?
Old May 2, 09, 3:00 pm

Programs: United/Star Alliance - 1K
Wow, twice the hype of SARS, 1/100 the danger. Sure, planes should be cleaned, but this is the latest War of the Worlds broadcast. We're doomed.
Old May 2, 09, 3:25 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by prestonh View Post
yeah but i wouldn't trust cruise ships as far as you could throw them as cruise ships repeatedly get "incidents" of legionnaire's disease (or something similar) even after cleaning

Originally Posted by N965VJ View Post
The big question is if UA will continue to do this after this thing blows over.
well, fwiw, skywest is doing it (see here) and there is mention of mainline in the thread
Old May 2, 09, 4:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K / GlobalEntry / 1.2MM
Definitely felt cleaner this morning. Even had the smell of the lysol of whatever wipe they use to do this.
Old May 2, 09, 6:46 pm

Programs: UA 1P
Good to hear because I had a tough time getting my tray down on a 752 the other day because it was stuck to the seatback; guy in front of me was giving me dirty looks for all the pulling I had to do on his seat. ah well. Hope it lasts! Maybe they'll even start washing the pillows/blankets now!
Old May 2, 09, 7:32 pm

Programs: UA-1P
On my IAD-LHR flight on Thursday, they made an announcement that they do not have blankets in economy (we had in C, and I assume also had them in F) as the new cleaning (sterilizing) methodology (due to the swine flu) takes longer. They also said that there is no problem for the pillows (everybody had them), as they change them (covers?) after every flight.

They said at the end: "I am sure you will all understand with this virus going around".
Old May 2, 09, 10:36 pm

Programs: UA MMGold, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat
No blanket in Y on 4/30 flight SFO-FRA too, according to the FA it was due to the swine flu.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: