Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Pilot came back in-flight to thank me for flying UA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2001, 12:07 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life

I know this has been discussed occasionally in the past, but this is the FIRST time I pilot has come out of the cockpit, while in the air, and came back to thank me for flying UA (I was in 4D in a 727 MCO-DEN). The person next to me was also 1K. He asked both of us what we did for a living, and told us he appreciated our business. He went to two other passengers in F, one of whom he thanked because he was PE.

Nice touch. Even gave me his business card with a short thankyou note. Might as well mention him by name (anyone else been thanked by him?): Captain Troy Mashburn

I seem to notice that even the gate agents are thanking me more often for flying UA, and are appreciative of my business. Hopefully this is a trend that will spread throughout UA (now, if we could just get United Connection back).
Old Sep 2, 2001, 1:05 pm

Programs: United 1K MM - 1.7M actually, Marriott Platinum Premier, Hertz Gold
It seems to me that the "real people" of UA -- the FAs, CSR's, 1K phone people -- have gone out of their way lately to thank me for flying UA.

Of course, joking with them about UA's problems and issues helps...like telling them I am personally trying to fly enough segments to overcome UA's projected billion $$ loss...

Seriously, with one exception (at Dulles a few weeks ago) ALL of the UA people have been kind, helpful, wonderful, especially in the past few weeks.

Old Sep 3, 2001, 6:43 am

Programs: BA/BD Gold/IC A/*Wood Gold - Certified BodyCombat and BodyPump Instructor
Just came back from LHR-IAD-BOS-SFO-LAS-LAX-PSP-LAX-SFO-JFK-LHR (phew!) and I must say I have noted a much improved attitude with everyone at UA (execpt the chap at checkin in BOS- Grrr!) since last April. Wonder if it has to do with ditching the merger?

All the flights were very good and so was the service (even on the Sh*ttle flights).

Hopefully thing are on the up at UA. Only cruel bit of irony was that they showed Chocolat after the meal service to IAD (minus the Godiva Chocolat of course!).
Old Sep 3, 2001, 7:38 am
Suspended

Nice to hear. The merger was weighing like a lead balloon over the heads of many staff, and now it is dead maybe that has been the catalyst. Plus the fact the "owners" know the airline stands to bleed a lot more red ink this year. Nice to see that regular fliers are getting a few more smiles, and hope the fine customer service tradition at UA continues to get back to what it once was. Reversing some silly penny pinching ideas like the Godivas, table napkins and hot towels etc would be also nice to see.
Old Sep 4, 2001, 6:49 pm
West Coast 1K

I gave my mother a couple of HK-49s on her recent flight from LAX-BWI and she (along with the other FC passengers) got the captain's business card with a note. Do you know how long I have waited for that?! Let's hope United is really going to start Rising.

Old Sep 5, 2001, 1:11 pm

I had the same experience during my return from Jazzfest this year (MSY-ORD).

Same captain. Friendly guy. There should be more like him.

Mike

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.