Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

24-hour cancelation policy Questions [Merged Threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

24-hour cancelation policy Questions [Merged Threads]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2010, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

YMMV.

I'm still fighting with them on an award ticket I canceled the same day. They confirmed on the phone that I was in within the 24-hour window, and that I'd get my $5 in taxes back. However, later in the week they charged my credit card the $150 redeposit fee.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 4:16 pm

Programs: UA 2P, HH Gold
Canceled many tickets within the 24 hour period; its pretty easy to do on the web site and generally the refund hits my card within 2-3 business days.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 4:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
..... they refund all money within the 24 hr, but be careful if you any united voucher toward the cost. Once used, these don't come back
Old Dec 17, 2010, 6:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by phillipe
..... they refund all money within the 24 hr, but be careful if you any united voucher toward the cost. Once used, these don't come back
Yes, but if you contact UA and provide the voucher number used on the canceled ticket, they will return the voucher (with a new number). I've had to do this a couple of times, and it takes a few days for this to happen.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 8:51 pm

Programs: BA Gold, B6 Mosiac, VS, AA, DL (and a legacy UA 2MM)
Originally Posted by LA_Traveler
Yes, but if you contact UA and provide the voucher number used on the canceled ticket, they will return the voucher (with a new number). I've had to do this a couple of times, and it takes a few days for this to happen.
About 6 months ago when booking a ticket, I applied a $200 customer service voucher that I'd received for some equipment malfunctions on a previous international flight. A couple hours after booking the ticket, I realized that I would have to change it. Agent told me that the ticket was fully refundable under the UA Customer Commitment program, but that the voucher was no longer good once used. I complained to the 1K desk and they reiterated that policy, and only when I complained again (all via email) to the 1K desk did they relent and give me another voucher. So, for me, it wasn't at all automatic!
Old Dec 17, 2010, 9:33 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Yes, was able to easily request and get a refund for a UA flight I cancelled last month as per policy. Only issue was it took about 5 business days for the refund to post to my credit card
Old Dec 17, 2010, 11:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by LA_Traveler
I've never been able to get UA to reinstate a voucher after canceling a flight..
Old Jan 4, 2011, 10:17 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
Has anyone canceled and rebooked the same itinerary and then canceled again?

I'm waiting on a friend to decide whether or not a trip next weekend will work and in the meantime I've already canceled the first booking. Can I rebook the exact same flights (the itinerary is still at the same price) and cancel again in 24 hours if we can't go?

The link below doesn't seem to exclude this scenario but given that we have to "request" the refund and that "all refund requests are subject to review" (per the confirmation page of tonight's request) it seems like UA could deny the refund.

http://www.united.com/page/article/0,6722,1510,00.html

Last edited by damone; Jan 4, 2011 at 10:18 pm Reason: spelling
Old Jan 4, 2011, 10:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
I've never been able to get UA to reinstate a voucher after canceling a flight..
They did it for me "just this once" probably because I was seething on the phone about my flight being delayed for 6 hours before they cancelled it. I elected to cancel the trip and they refunded the voucher plus the cash difference.
Old Jan 5, 2011, 12:30 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by damone
Has anyone canceled and rebooked the same itinerary and then canceled again?

I'm waiting on a friend to decide whether or not a trip next weekend will work and in the meantime I've already canceled the first booking. Can I rebook the exact same flights (the itinerary is still at the same price) and cancel again in 24 hours if we can't go?

The link below doesn't seem to exclude this scenario but given that we have to "request" the refund and that "all refund requests are subject to review" (per the confirmation page of tonight's request) it seems like UA could deny the refund.

http://www.united.com/page/article/0,6722,1510,00.html
I don't see any reason why this wouldn't work. I remember doing this several years ago - I think I canceled and rebooked 3-4 times in a row (once each day) until my travel plans were finalized. Not necessarily a guarantee, but I'd imagine that as long as your credit card limit can take the multiple hits (i.e. usually, each charge will immediately be deducted from available credit from your credit limit, but it will take several days until each of the refunds actually post to the account before your credit limit is raised by that amount), you should be ok.
Old Mar 8, 2011, 7:39 am

Programs: Free Agent
I canceled a ticket last Wednesday, and the refund has yet to hit my credit card. I was originally told that it would be within 72 hours, but when I just called, I was told 4-6 weeks.

Should I continue waiting, or try calling into the Refunds Department?
Old Jun 6, 2011, 7:31 am

What about purchased Economy+, or purchased Premier refunds?

I booked an award ticket a few weeks back and opted to purchase the "Premier Services" for all segments of my trip. 2x tickets, and this came to $646. (routing is BOS-LAX-OGG;LIH-SFO-BOS)

About two hours after completing the booking on UA.com, I picked up the phone to call and extend the trip by 1-day. I was able to easily do this because the routing didn't change. The agent said I would have to again pay for the Economy+ seats on the changed segments, and I could process a refund request on the website. I immediately submitted the request on the website and United finally wrote back today to say that the purchased premier upgrades are not refundable.

My question is, shouldn't ALL purchases associated with my ticket be cancel able within the 24-hour period? I feel like I doubled paid here.

Apologies to everyone in here who has Premier from earned flight miles. I used to be Premier Gold for several years when I traveled for work to IAD/DEN, but couldn't keep it up after changing jobs
Old Jun 6, 2011, 8:34 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA Plat
Originally Posted by bshaw1998
I booked an award ticket a few weeks back and opted to purchase the "Premier Services" for all segments of my trip. 2x tickets, and this came to $646. (routing is BOS-LAX-OGG;LIH-SFO-BOS)

About two hours after completing the booking on UA.com, I picked up the phone to call and extend the trip by 1-day. I was able to easily do this because the routing didn't change. The agent said I would have to again pay for the Economy+ seats on the changed segments, and I could process a refund request on the website. I immediately submitted the request on the website and United finally wrote back today to say that the purchased premier upgrades are not refundable.

My question is, shouldn't ALL purchases associated with my ticket be cancel able within the 24-hour period? I feel like I doubled paid here.

Apologies to everyone in here who has Premier from earned flight miles. I used to be Premier Gold for several years when I traveled for work to IAD/DEN, but couldn't keep it up after changing jobs
In general, if you cancel within 24 hours, you are entitled to a refund of everything you paid, including Economy + seating. See the link below:

http://travel.latimes.com/daily-deal...united-a-6922/

However, it's not totally clear to me from what you describe above that you actually cancelled the ticket within 24-hours, it sounds more like you got an extended hold. That may be what is fouling up the refund, since there was no "cancellation" which would trigger the 24-hour policy.
Old Jun 7, 2011, 11:01 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, BA Gold, SQ TPP
I'm having trouble canceling online a CO metal flight (UA flight number) booked on united.com in the last 24-hours.

I assume the policy applies to all tickets, not just UA metal flights right? Maybe I have to call for non UA metal tickets?
Old Nov 17, 2011, 11:39 am

Programs: UA Plat
Trouble getting refund.

Anyone have this happen?

Booked ticket on-line. Made changes to reservation on-line that included a flight change. Called within 24 hours of making initial reservation to cancel. Was told that my changing the flight was an exception to the ticket, that cancelling the ticket was an exception, and that they only alllow one exception per ticket.

1k agent got a service director involved and said because of my loyalty, they would allow refund of the reservation, this time only.

2 weeks later, get an email from [email protected] saying they can't see reason for refund and want to know why. I reply cancelled within 24 hours.

Get a reply this morning (this misspellings were in the actual email):
Dear XXX:
We have received your request in reference to ticket number XXX.

Per our records it indicates taht your tikcet is exchanged several times hence we can not consider 24 hours cancellation policy for this tikcet and therefore we cannot honor your refund request.
I reply with:
From my point of view, I made a reservation and cancelled within 24 hours of the initial purchase. I did make changes on-line to the original ticket.

From UA’s own “Our United Customer Commitment” web site :
http://www.united.com/page/article/0,6722,1509,00.html
4. Allow reservations to be canceled for a certain period after purchase
When you book and ticket a reservation through United Reservations, through united.com, or at an airport ticket counter, or if you use MileagePlus miles to book an award ticket on United, we will allow you to cancel the ticketed reservation without penalty and receive a 100 percent refund provided that you cancel the reservation within 24 hours of purchase.
A service director approved the refund. In none of the screens from UA’s web site does it mention that changing a ticket within 24 hours would disallow you from cancelling the same ticket within 24 hours of the original purchase.

I expect to see the refund denial re-evaluated and approved

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.