Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

24-hour cancelation policy Questions [Merged Threads]

Old Apr 8, 09, 12:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, lowly UA 1K; Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold; National EC, Hertz PC

Quick question:

With the .bomb 24-hour cancellation policy (which I believe is still in effect even after the latest cutbacks with refares), if you buy a non-refundable ticket within 24-hours of the flight time and decide not to take the trip, does this essentially become a refundable ticket assuming you cancel it before the scheduled departure if I decide I do not need it? What if I am even checked in though, obviously, don't board?
Old Apr 8, 09, 1:08 am
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by adambadam View Post
Quick question:

With the .bomb 24-hour cancellation policy (which I believe is still in effect even after the latest cutbacks with refares), if you buy a non-refundable ticket within 24-hours of the flight time and decide not to take the trip, does this essentially become a refundable ticket assuming you cancel it before the scheduled departure if I decide I do not need it? What if I am even checked in though, obviously, don't board?
Still in effect.

Have done this numerous times. Have even been at the arport, checked in there, gone through security with BP in hand and then had to abort trip and cancel the ticket, bought that morning.
Old Apr 8, 09, 1:15 am

Programs: UA1k;HH Gold;MR Gold
Originally Posted by iluv2fly View Post
Still in effect.

Have done this numerous times. Have even been at the arport, checked in there, gone through security with BP in hand and then had to abort trip and cancel the ticket, bought that morning.

Meeting some people at the RCC?
Old Dec 28, 09, 7:35 pm

Anyone know if the 24 hour cancellation policy is still in effect? Can't seem to find anything on ua.com.

Thanks.
Old Dec 28, 09, 7:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by djlndc View Post
Anyone know if the 24 hour cancellation policy is still in effect? Can't seem to find anything on ua.com.

Thanks.
It absolutely is: http://www.united.com/page/article/0,6722,52184,00.html

Originally Posted by djlndc View Post
Can't seem to find anything on ua.com.
FWIW, The search term "24 hour" brought up the above link.
Old Dec 28, 09, 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by jhayes_1780 View Post

I appreciate it. I used the search box on ua.com and nothing came up.

Thank you very much.
Old Jan 12, 10, 9:03 pm

24 Hour Refund: Does it apply to US and CO Codeshares?

Looking to book a ticket on UA.com but I might have to cancel within 24 hours. I want to book it now since inventory is tight. My question is, does the 24 hour refund apply to codeshares (1 segment US, 2 segments CO)?

Or, is there a way to hold the reservation without paying? I know most airlines no longer allow 24 hour holds but I know a few sites you can game into getting the system to put it on hold overnight (pay with cash). Thanks for any help.
Old Jan 12, 10, 9:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K, LH Oil & Energy Club
good question, never really thought about it, I always assumed it was any ticket you bought from .bomb... did you try calling and asking? *thread was merged after my post, mods can delete if they want*

Last edited by VTHokieFlyer; Jan 12, 10 at 9:18 pm
Old Jan 12, 10, 9:30 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by mschles View Post
Looking to book a ticket on UA.com but I might have to cancel within 24 hours. I want to book it now since inventory is tight. My question is, does the 24 hour refund apply to codeshares (1 segment US, 2 segments CO)?....
from United's Contract of Carriage
F) PASSENGER'S RIGHT TO CANCEL RESERVATIONS.
NOTWITHSTANDING ANY OTHER PROVISIONS OF THE CONTRACT OF CARRIAGE, CUSTOMERS WHO PURCHASE A TICKET IN THE UNITED STATES, WHETHER THROUGH UNITED RESERVATIONS, UNITED'S CITY TICKET OFFICES, AIRPORT TICKET LOCATIONS OR UNITED.COM MAY CANCEL THAT RESERVATION AND RECEIVE A FULL REFUND FOR THE FARE PAID UP TO 24 HOURS FROM THE TIME THE TICKET WAS ISSUED.
no limitations on metal/operator
Old Jan 12, 10, 11:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat., NEXUS, Amex, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by iluv2fly View Post
Still in effect.

Has anybody still been able to do this? Given the new "security improvements", has TSA or UA given you any trouble doing this? I have a trip that I may go on tomorrow, but may find out at the last minute that I need to fly somewhere else, so I would have to cancel the ticket and purchase a new one...
Old Jan 13, 10, 12:11 am

Programs: Four Seasons Aviara (owner), Starwood, Marriott, Hyatt, Hertz President's Circle, United 30+ yrs
Originally Posted by jhayes_1780 View Post

Yep. I have used it (infrequently) and it is REAL. Amazing but a real plus and a forward thinking, customer service approach from United. Hat's off.
Old Jan 13, 10, 12:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat., NEXUS, Amex, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by mstraveler View Post
Yep. I have used it (infrequently) and it is REAL. Amazing but a real plus and a forward thinking, customer service approach from United. Hat's off.
Thanks for the info.. I booked the ticket a few minutes ago and then just found out that I have to cancel it... You think they would have any problem with my going through security, spending time in a RCC or Presidents Club and then canceling the ticket and leaving the airport?
Old Jan 13, 10, 10:39 pm

Programs: Underentitled UA 1k, various hotel progs
Originally Posted by mstraveler View Post
I agree that it's useful, but the post above also shows how quickly we accept service cutbacks and the elimination of benefits like the 24-hour hold... it's been just a few months since they took that away, to much wailing and gnashing of teeth here on FT, and now we're soooooo grateful that we can pay and then get our money back after a delay of up to several weeks due to credit card processes and timing!
Old Jan 14, 10, 12:17 am

Programs: UA 1K, Priority Club Platinum
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
from United's Contract of Carriage

no limitations on metal/operator
I've used the 24-hour refund several times, especially since they stopped allowing us to hold tickets (). They've always eventually put the money back to my CC, but it still makes me nervous every time I put my CC down for a ticket I'm not sure I'm going to end up keeping.
Old Jan 15, 10, 3:18 pm

Programs: Four Seasons Aviara (owner), Starwood, Marriott, Hyatt, Hertz President's Circle, United 30+ yrs
Originally Posted by ccharles View Post
I agree that it's useful, but the post above also shows how quickly we accept service cutbacks and the elimination of benefits like the 24-hour hold... it's been just a few months since they took that away, to much wailing and gnashing of teeth here on FT, and now we're soooooo grateful that we can pay and then get our money back after a delay of up to several weeks due to credit card processes and timing!
Somehow the fact that we can no longer hold tickets had gone by me so that this seemed like a real perk. The one time I have used it is when I really thought I was taking a trip, bought a ticket and then had to change plans within 24 hours. Would have been out of luck in the old system as I would not have held this ticket. All in all I would rather have this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: