Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrades becoming easier?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2009, 8:12 am
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
Regarding the original topic, I've found upgrades to be VERY easy. I've cleared on everything at the window (with 500-milers) on 319s, 320s, 737s--and needless to say, all bigger planes as well too. I'm about 15/15 in 2009, even upgrading companions on about half of those flights.

The 'prime' intl routes mentioned here got me thinking...I see all kinds of crazy availability to Oz in December. I'm not sure if I can even go yet, but about book two C seats to SYD in December. Ironically, there's no XF/XC space on the ORD midcons in either direction--but I'll take my chances on waitlists on those. If UA is considering pulling out of Australia, might want to take advantage while they're still going there, especially since the 747s should all be converted by then.
Old Mar 26, 2009, 8:23 am

Programs: AC SE, BA silver
I doubt this was a mistake. No matter how horrible United's IT is (and yes, it is awful indeed), I doubt they will accidentally release tons of XC/NC across the board.

More likely, this was like one of those unadvertised sales that last for a very short period, i.e. an opportunity to discreetly dump some unused inventory and/or test the waters.
Old Mar 26, 2009, 8:28 am

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
Originally Posted by iwillflytheworld
I doubt this was a mistake. No matter how horrible United's IT is (and yes, it is awful indeed), I doubt they will accidentally release tons of XC/NC across the board.

More likely, this was like one of those unadvertised sales that last for a very short period, i.e. an opportunity to discreetly dump some unused inventory and/or test the waters.
That makes sense if there is a set of competitors forming a market that UA wants to test. But what information did UA gain by briefly releasing a bunch if international award and upgrade inventory?
Old Mar 26, 2009, 8:35 am

Originally Posted by snic
That makes sense if there is a set of competitors forming a market that UA wants to test. But what information did UA gain by briefly releasing a bunch if international award and upgrade inventory?
My guess is that they just wanted to give away some mileage tickets as they know they can't fill the cabins with paying passengers. On the other hand they don't want to do this on a consistent basis to encourage people to buy tickets. Hence the short/random availability window.

Perhaps they're also testing responsiveness to the (not so) new higher award levels for C/F redemptions.
Old Mar 26, 2009, 8:59 am
Suspended

Programs: UA-1K, Marriott-Gold, SPG-Gold, IC RA/Plat, Amtrak Select
I remember this mistake happening early this year as well where there was upgrade and award inventory let out on all intl routes. People jumped on it and UA relised the mistake and then fixed it.

I found it odd to see flights to HKG in the summer as well as OZ this time of year.
Old Mar 26, 2009, 10:31 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold
Not sure if there is a thread for general upgrading questions or not, so i'm sorry if this is OT. Is it possible to upgrade from Y to F internationally? Is the fee for doing so 30,000-40,000 miles? If so, how does one do a 2 class upgrade?
Old Mar 26, 2009, 10:39 am

Originally Posted by 100% Green
Not sure if there is a thread for general upgrading questions or not, so i'm sorry if this is OT. Is it possible to upgrade from Y to F internationally? Is the fee for doing so 30,000-40,000 miles? If so, how does one do a 2 class upgrade?
No, double upgrades are not allowed at all (except for operational reasons or mistakes).
Old Mar 26, 2009, 11:48 am
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
I think something is amiss with the system--The flights are showing such strange things as XC2 NC0, one is even XC6 NC0. I've NEVER known XC>NC. United, understandably so, would much rather sell you a ticket and have you upgrade than use straight mileage.
Old Mar 26, 2009, 1:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA-1K, Marriott-Gold, SPG-Gold, IC RA/Plat, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by MBS PremExec
I think something is amiss with the system--The flights are showing such strange things as XC2 NC0, one is even XC6 NC0. I've NEVER known XC>NC. United, understandably so, would much rather sell you a ticket and have you upgrade than use straight mileage.
Either the system is messed up OR IM is dumb OR They want people to burn all of their miles.

I would think it is the first.
Old Mar 26, 2009, 3:56 pm

Programs: UA GS, BA Gold, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Gold, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by iwillflytheworld
It seems United zeroed out all the OZ XC/NC inventory that it opened yesterday. I wonder if this was a mistake or a trial balloon .

As others said, such widespread availability, with XC>NC in most cases, was unprecedented.
I would guess that it was a mistake, given the high numbers. It doesn't make sense to allow an entire first class cabin to be booked with miles. I saw XF=8 on a plane where I've already booked two XF seats.

On the other hand, given the high level of competition on USA-OZ, this could also be a way for UA to leverage their FF program. I jumped on the opportunity and booked a rather expensive W ticket instead of booking a cheap L ticket.
Old Mar 26, 2009, 4:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by MBS PremExec
I've NEVER known XC>NC.
I've definitely seen XF>NF (usually XF1/NF0 or XF2/NF1), most recently on an SFO-YVR flight last week.
Old Mar 26, 2009, 4:21 pm

Programs: UAL 1K , HHonors Diamond
On a W fare in mid-March I was waitlisted for a few days on SFO-LHR and BOS-LAX as there was no NC or NF availability.

I was surprised that SFO-LHR on a SWU cleared 14 days in advance (as in all of my experiences flying UA # 930 on a Saturday night was that upgrades cleared at the gate on the day of departure and previously I always had an M or H fare).

BOS-LAX UA # 167 cleared 16 days in advance using a CR-1, including the last leg LAX-SFO.
Old Mar 26, 2009, 9:34 pm

Programs: *G, ow Saph
I had a 7 segment itinerary booked last week.
At booking it was 2 confirmed, 5 WL.
After the last two days, it is 5 confirmed, 2 WL, and BOTH SFO-HKG and HKG-SFO cleared. I was stunned. Quite sure it was an error
Old Mar 27, 2009, 12:29 am

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Southwest A-List Preferred
I've been flying weird routes this year...so I'm not sure what weight (if any) you want to put into my experiences....BUT, i'm 21/21 on upgrades this year so far.

Mostly DCA-ORD and IAD-ATL roundtrips so far. None of the transcon nonsense I had to deal with last year.
Old Mar 29, 2009, 2:55 pm
MGG

Originally Posted by gfowler-ord-1k
It looks like a large amount of award and upgrade inventory was released last night. I had been putting off a ticket purchase because of lack of upgrades but I noticed early this morning more upgrade inventory. Now UA has $1100 more of my money.

How do you monitor flights to tell when inventory is open for NC, XC, NF, XF?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.