Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrades becoming easier?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2009, 11:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott PP
Upgrades becoming easier?

As an anthesis to the "Upgrades becoming harder" thread. I have actually noticed the opposite. According to Fox Bussiness News last night I saw that travel was down 19% in Feb.

I booked an early Apr ICN trip with a return in mid-april. When I booked it yesterday the upgrades waitlisted and then cleared this morning, both ways. I booked my coworkers ticket this morning and then his upgrades cleared right away.

My domestic CR1s are clearing early as well - a May flight with 2 transcons have already cleared.

Just my 2 pennies.
Old Mar 25, 2009, 11:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
It varies greatly. We're still waitlisted for April transcons (SFO-IAD and vv) and a July FRA-SFO.
Old Mar 25, 2009, 11:49 am

Programs: UA 1K-MM
I would generally agree - with the exception of Hawaii routes and A319s, most of my upgrades have cleared well ahead of time this year. Thankfully.
Old Mar 25, 2009, 12:05 pm

YMMV

I went to BKK in February and even with 35 open seats in the big business class section of the 777 I was on the upgrade didn't clear until the day of travel. On the way home it was cleared NRT-SEA, but BKK-NRT didn't clear until day of travel and was open enough I got 15A on a 747
Old Mar 25, 2009, 12:14 pm

Programs: UA Plat., 1.52 MM
The one thing that works well for me on mainline UA:
As far as my memory goes I almost always got my upgrades - domestic and international. Can't recall an exception right now. Actually it also worked well for last minute travel.
Old Mar 25, 2009, 12:16 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
With flights as empty as they are I have absolutely noticed earlier clearance than what I experienced last year. For my SEA-LAX-NRT-SIN-NRT-LAX-SEA trip starting 4/30 everything cleared at ticketing last week except NRT-SIN-NRT..and both of those segments cleared for both of us last night. I've got an upcoming transcon SEA-MCO next month and all legs but 1 have cleared...and my SEA-SFO-DEN-SFO-SEA this week cleared at the 100 hour window. ^
Old Mar 25, 2009, 12:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott PP
Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR
With flights as empty as they are I have absolutely noticed earlier clearance than what I experienced last year. For my SEA-LAX-NRT-SIN-NRT-LAX-SEA trip starting 4/30 everything cleared at ticketing last week except NRT-SIN-NRT..and both of those segments cleared for both of us last night. I've got an upcoming transcon SEA-MCO next month and all legs but 1 have cleared...and my SEA-SFO-DEN-SFO-SEA this week cleared at the 100 hour window. ^
Yup yup. Last year my Korea trips weren't clearing till (at a minimum) within a week of the flight.
Old Mar 25, 2009, 12:31 pm

Programs: * A
YMMV: most of my upgrades have cleared weeks if not months ahead of my leisure trips. However, a few of my SFO-IAD/LAX-IAD are still waitlisted for lack of NC/NF space
Old Mar 25, 2009, 12:36 pm
In memoriam

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Starwood Platinum, a nothing in several others
It looks like a large amount of award and upgrade inventory was released last night. I had been putting off a ticket purchase because of lack of upgrades but I noticed early this morning more upgrade inventory. Now UA has $1100 more of my money.
Old Mar 25, 2009, 12:51 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus 1P, UA Chase Mileage Plus Platinum
Originally Posted by gfowler-ord-1k
It looks like a large amount of award and upgrade inventory was released last night.
Agreed. As of last night, LAX/SFO-NRT/BKK from now till the end of the year is wide open in all categories, NC, XC, NF, XF. It is showing XC9, XF7 for many different flights for many different days across many different months with many different routings.
Old Mar 25, 2009, 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
It varies greatly. We're still waitlisted for April transcons (SFO-IAD and vv) and a July FRA-SFO.
So true. My Hawaii flights in late April and early May are all NF0 (DEN-HNL & SFO-HNL v.v.).
Old Mar 25, 2009, 1:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by rfmaverick
Agreed. As of last night, LAX/SFO-NRT/BKK from now till the end of the year is wide open in all categories, NC, XC, NF, XF. It is showing XC9, XF7 for many different flights for many different days across many different months with many different routings.
Whoah! Sweet. I'm all over that!
Old Mar 25, 2009, 1:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA-1K, Marriott-Gold, SPG-Gold, IC RA/Plat, Amtrak Select
I am still waitlisted on the 777 LAX-IAD this Saturday.
Old Mar 25, 2009, 1:16 pm

Programs: United GS 1.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold
A lot of TPAC Award Availability opened up for travel

I have been monitoring TPAC flights from June-Aug and it seems like a ton of XC and NC has opened up in the last 24 hours. Even legs like HKG-SFO and HKG-ORD, ORD-HKG and SFO-HKG is showing lots of availability. Strangely for some flights, it shows XC9, NC0. I know it happens, but it is always NC buckets opening up first.
Old Mar 25, 2009, 1:21 pm
In memoriam

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Starwood Platinum, a nothing in several others
deleted

Last edited by gfowler-ord-1k; Mar 25, 2009 at 1:26 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.