Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

UA's New Refare Policy - $150.00 (or Greater) Administrative Fee - 3/20/2009

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA's New Refare Policy - $150.00 (or Greater) Administrative Fee - 3/20/2009

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2011, 12:32 pm

Location: Since the BoSox and ChiSox won it, now it is the Cubs turn to take the Series. Go Cubs Go!
Originally Posted by emcampbe
Sounds like this is the agent's personal policy. That is the point when you say thank you to the agent, hang up, and then call to get an agent who knows the actual rules.
^^^

Originally Posted by bmvaughn
Same issue happened to me yesterday, except I used an eCert and the fare dropped $52 2hrs after booking. IF it happens the same day and IF there was no cert applied, you can cancel for free and rebook... otherwise you are SOL.
I spoke to UA reservations about the customer guarantee and the ability to cancel a ticket within 24 hours of purchase. I was told that a new E-Cert can be provided to the customer if it was applied and the ticket is canceled within 24 hours.

Last edited by iluv2fly; May 27, 2011 at 2:22 pm Reason: merge
Old Oct 20, 2011, 11:30 am

Programs: Does it matter any more?
I have an existing reservation made two days ago. The fare's since dropped per united.com. Across 4 pax, the drop adds up to 242$ (domestic itin) after deducting the 150$ admin fee. But, going in to my reservations (used to be my itineraries) and trying to check fare, it doesn't show the difference. Called the general # and followed prompts to go to teh refund desk. Explained and asked for a refare. They indicate they are seeing only a 60$ fare drop on the total fare and i'll need to pay a 150$ change fee on each ticket. Effectively giving them 600$.

Any suggestions?
Old Oct 20, 2011, 11:58 am

Programs: SPG Plat
Originally Posted by legionnaire
...Any suggestions?
Yes. don't look at the prices after buying tickets. It has caused me a lot of stress doing that (knowing about the change fee) so I just don't look anymore after pulling the trigger.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 12:18 pm

Programs: DL-Dirt Medallion;US-Cast Iron Preferred; HH-Gold; Avis First
I have an existing reservation made two days ago. The fare's since dropped per united.com. Across 4 pax, the drop adds up to 242$ (domestic itin) after deducting the 150$ admin fee. But, going in to my reservations (used to be my itineraries) and trying to check fare, it doesn't show the difference. Called the general # and followed prompts to go to teh refund desk. Explained and asked for a refare. They indicate they are seeing only a 60$ fare drop on the total fare and i'll need to pay a 150$ change fee on each ticket. Effectively giving them 600$.

Any suggestions?
I am pretty sure the change fee is per passenger, so unless the fare difference is more than $150/per ($600 total), what you're seeing vs. what they are seeing doesn't matter.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 1:21 pm

Programs: UA 1k, Marriott Plat, HH gold, Avis/Hertz Pres
yeah i dont look at the price anymore either...BOOOOOOOOOO
Old Oct 20, 2011, 1:29 pm

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
...and you will get the difference back in paper vouchers that are hard to apply.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 1:47 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
...i'll need to pay a 150$ change fee on each ticket. ...
the fee is per passenger / per ticket. so 4 passengers on a single PNR, is 4 fees, not one.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 3:36 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by AZjohns
Yes. don't look at the prices after buying tickets. It has caused me a lot of stress doing that (knowing about the change fee) so I just don't look anymore after pulling the trigger.
If you really enjoy riding the price curve down to the absolute minimum fare, you need to buy your tickets at southwest.com. However re-use of ticketless funds while avoiding early expiration becomes very complex if you make a lot of changes. This complexity is an FTer's friend because it discourages average customers. I change about 30% of my trips but it can give me a headache to choreograph all the cancellation and re-booking to keep expiration at bay.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 10:05 pm

Programs: Does it matter any more?
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
the fee is per passenger / per ticket. so 4 passengers on a single PNR, is 4 fees, not one.
That really kills it. Thanks for pointing out the detail. You know what they say about the devil being in the detail(s).

I am recalling with fondness the days of refaring online triggering paper vouchers that could be used for future tickets helping waive fees.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 10:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
I am recalling with fondness the days of refaring online triggering paper vouchers that could be used for future tickets helping waive fees.
And we all have Yapta to thank for ending those days.
Old Oct 21, 2011, 3:01 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I had a $80 RDU-IAD-JFK ticket a few months back that I called to cancel. The "helpful" agent told me if I found another RDU-JFK $80 fare I could apply this fare difference to it and then pay the $150 reticket fare. I asked him if this happened why would I not merely buy the $80 ticket at face value. He had no answer to that

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.