Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

UA's New Refare Policy - $150.00 (or Greater) Administrative Fee - 3/20/2009

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA's New Refare Policy - $150.00 (or Greater) Administrative Fee - 3/20/2009

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2009, 8:38 am
Original Poster

Exclamation UA's New Refare Policy - $150.00 (or Greater) Administrative Fee - 3/20/2009

1P agent told me today that for any tickets booked after today a refare due to price drop will now be charged a $150 change fee? Has anyone heard that? I did a search but did not see this mentioned. Thx.

Last edited by desperationsearch; Mar 20, 2009 at 11:34 am Reason: changed title
Old Mar 20, 2009, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by desperationsearch
1P agent told me today that for any tickets booked after today a refare due to price drop will now be charged a $150 change fee? Has anyone heard that? I did a search but did not see this mentioned. Thx.
I did 3 refares last week with no problem.

$150 change fee? hmmm
Old Mar 20, 2009, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
Sounds like UA is adopting more and more Continental policies
Old Mar 20, 2009, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ua mm, aa plat, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
i hope this isn't the case...but if it is, it'll cause me to re-think my brand loyalty. after a year of (comped) plat status on co, a big part of the reason i ultimately stayed with united was the re-fare thing. my travel isn't paid for by a company, and i like knowing that i can book early and not lose out if the fare goes down later.

that said, from a business standpoint, i can see why they would want to more closely emulate what co is doing.
Old Mar 20, 2009, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is the one thing that keeps me booking on UA and not AA. If it goes, I go.
Old Mar 20, 2009, 9:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by BlissWorld
Sounds like UA is adopting more and more Continental policies
And every other legacy carrier. If it happens, I believe that would leave Alaska and Jet Blue as the only real carriers with no-fee refares on non-refundable tickets.

It's also consistent with the "We already have your money" policy of DEQM not applying to travel that's already booked.
Old Mar 20, 2009, 9:53 am

Programs: UA 1P
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
And every other legacy carrier. If it happens, I believe that would leave Jet Blue as the only real carrier with no-fee refares on non-refundable tickets.

It's also consistent with the "We already have your money" policy of DEQM not applying to travel that's already booked.
Using a promo's conditions as a ideology for UA seems over the top. This is one person's report, up against a lot of people's reports of refaring yesterday with absolutely no problem.

Unless anyone else can confirm that they have heard anything about this "new" policy? Sounds to me like a poorly trained agent who couldn't believe that you could do this and wanted to slap the usual "I touched you reservation" fee on it.
Old Mar 20, 2009, 9:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by SFOtoBOS
Using a promo's conditions as a ideology for UA seems over the top.
Why? If it's true, it would indicate a pattern.
Old Mar 20, 2009, 10:02 am

Why? If it's true, it would indicate a pattern.
Perhaps, the two data points make a pattern for you. But your implication was that because it seemed like a pattern, it was somehow more possibly true.

Also, giving you travel credit is arguably consistent with "have your money already". They take your initial "over pay" and sit on it while you wait to bother using it and hopefully forget to ever use it.

I would just prefer that we get more anecdotal or explicit evidence. I don't think there is any debate that as customers we appreciate greatly this refare option. I believe AS also does this correct?
Old Mar 20, 2009, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Truth is, most international fare rules in place call for the fee when refaring to a lower fare (no change in itin). I think it's just never really been enforced.
Old Mar 20, 2009, 10:05 am

Programs: AAexp, UA*G, HY LT Globalist, FB Plat, Centurion
Originally Posted by zrs70
Truth is, most international fare rules in place call for the fee when refaring to a lower fare (no change in itin). I think it's just never really been enforced.
True but their 150 change fee itself is not competitive with Air Canada already. I do a lot of CAN trips and they charge on 50 bucks for even flights opped by UA.
Old Mar 20, 2009, 10:33 am
Original Poster

Still looking for a definitive answer if any of us get one - but to clarify what I said to start:

One agent on the 1P line said this, I didn't try any others
She said it was a change made in February that only effects tickets booked after today
She said it would not effect tickets booked prior to today no matter when they were for

I hope its not true, and just a rogue agent, but we all probably should make attempts to find out.
Old Mar 20, 2009, 10:42 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
No mention of this when I refared yesterday but was on an older ticket.
And no announcement by UA (which they have done with previous fee changes).
Old Mar 20, 2009, 10:46 am

Originally Posted by desperationsearch
Still looking for a definitive answer if any of us get one - but to clarify what I said to start:

One agent on the 1P line said this, I didn't try any others
She said it was a change made in February that only effects tickets booked after today
She said it would not effect tickets booked prior to today no matter when they were for

I hope its not true, and just a rogue agent, but we all probably should make attempts to find out.
Maybe I am crazy, but I would be pretty annoyed and skeptical if I called up any company and was told "in your case you are being affected by a change we decided to make months ago, but only takes effect starting TODAY, it is your lucky day!"

Unless the info on united.com changes today, I think we can discount this.

So you didn't pay or make the change then it I hope?
Old Mar 20, 2009, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Let's not forget that the DEQM promotion was a direct match of what AA did earlier this week, pretty much, t+c for t+c. I don't think you can suggest that this is somehow going to yield a pattern of not allowing anything to change if a ticket has already been purchased. It's possible, but this would be a long way from being close to proven.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.