Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

United Double EQM - Travel dates: March 19, 2009 - June 15, 2009

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Double EQM - Travel dates: March 19, 2009 - June 15, 2009

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2009, 11:59 am

Programs: AA PLT, UA 1K (2k), Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, HHonors Gold
I put an itinerary on hold last night before the offer took place. Would I still be earning DEQM if I ticket it today?
Old Mar 19, 2009, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by atcanobbio
it's my first time ever doing this. so once i register, i can just fly and i'll get my DEQMs, right? o is there something else i should do?
Yep, that's it. The DEQM only post later on, though, so don't expect them to post within a few days.
Originally Posted by futureacnp
I put an itinerary on hold last night before the offer took place. Would I still be earning DEQM if I ticket it today?
I *think* you'd be fine.
Old Mar 19, 2009, 12:01 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
Well, I'm happy for all those who can take advantage of this. I, unfortunately, am in the unenviable position of having lots and lots of travel booked during the DEQM period but unable to book more: I jumped on very cheap fares and/or booked routings that cannot be changed or rebooked easily. Oh well.
Old Mar 19, 2009, 12:02 pm
eap

Programs: AS MVP 75K, UA 1MM
This happens right as I finally use some vouchers... two days ago.

The E-Receipt says the ticketing date was today. But the offer says "Offer is only valid on new reservations booked between March 19 and June 15, 2009."

In the past, this has been ticketing date, not reservation date.

Any thoughts?
Old Mar 19, 2009, 12:02 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Originally Posted by ryan182
Remember the old days where people earned their respective status by flying, while I'm quite sure this won't be a popular opinion here I can't see how the constant elite inflation through this type of offer can do anything but dilute the benefits offered to elites, especially top-tier fliers.

to this and for constantly being a tool of AA, try leading rather than following for once. Would have much rather seen them release some PR mocking AA decision to again do the DEQM, something along the lines of our FF fly UA because of our route structure, products and service (ya I know, insert joke here) not because we bribe them with extra EQM which only serves to add more fliers to the elite ranks which will all be competing for the same limited pool of benefits such as upgrades and award tickets.
You're right - this won't be a popular post.

There's more to elite status than just 'competing for upgrades & award tickets'. If this helps a 2P become 1P, they get to access lounges across the world when traveling internationally. They get quicker boarding. There's immediate benefits, even if no award seats were ever released again. And if it helps a GM become 2P, the immediate benefits are possibly even greater.

At the risk of sounding like a parrot, 'look at the economy'. People aren't flying as much. UA is hurting. If this injects a rush of more bookings for the promo period, then your elite status is worth something because UA is still flying. Some of the refare/new bookings indicated in this thread alone will prove how useful a promo like this can be to UA.

Finally, I share your frustration on UA being a follower rather than a leader, though. However, I think the new business class seats & entertainment systems redeem UA a bit. *shrug*
Old Mar 19, 2009, 12:03 pm

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
Ugh... what to do... I know what you will ALL say, but here it goes:

Current: Have a saver award coach booked on AC/OZ SEA-PVG during the period

Rebook to?: Paid W SEA-PVG, upgrade to C with SWUs (that I cant use anyway), save 60K RDM, gain 25K RDM, gain 28K EQM, gain 2700EQM/RDM from Chase card, lose $1350, no VOD

I can hear the collective shout... "what, are you stupid? DO IT!"

The thing is it looks like I will have 1P locked in by end of April but my travel after May is completely unknown and may be low... but I guess with this deal I should only need another 25K for the year to make 1K which is probably doable even if I need a couple MRs in the end to pull it off. I may have to be doing some US flying. Also I will be doing some CO flying and hopefully can get EQMs from them by the end of the year?? ... yeah I can do it...

Edited: DONE. Seats 15A upper deck both ways to boot...

Last edited by dmodemd; Mar 19, 2009 at 12:23 pm Reason: Came to senses...
Old Mar 19, 2009, 12:03 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.77MM, Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by spikerjack
On phone right now with 1K reservations looking to change a SFO-SIN booked just two days ago! Ugh....

Originally the agent said this was for online bookings only...got her to check that it wasn't.

Now the issue is that a rebooking will still use the old PNR (Uniteds new e-ticket cancellation workflow) and thus "might" use my old booking date of 17 March. Anybody know if that is what will happen? Will I be fighting for my DEQM after having paid the $250 change fee but not reflecting the new booking date of today?

Gotta admit...the agent is trying....but the possible issue of the old booking date in a rebook is scaring me.

Advice?

UPDATE: Wow, she did it. Said she "shouldn't have done it" but she called over for a ticket exchange and did a completely new PNR. Sounds like because of their e-tix exchange policies a standard "cancel, change fee, rebook on same routing" will use old PNR and date by default. Probably need to bug the agent to guarantee a new PNR if you are in this situation like I was.

Net cost for an additional 16,000 EQMs = $250 on an $1100 ticket. Worth it.
Good data point, and thanks for updating us. I'll probably make the call today or tomorrow (and also see if I can get my last u/g cleared )
Old Mar 19, 2009, 12:06 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, Skymiles, EleVAte founding member, SPG
Am I insane to do 3 days in Sydney from NYC to get 40,000 miles?
Old Mar 19, 2009, 12:07 pm

Programs: AS 100K
Originally Posted by LA_Traveler
Woohoo!! Now I can book my MUC flight for April that I was holding off for a week.. add an unplanned SYD or SIN flight in May.. add another unplanned LHR flight in June... and sprinkle a couple transcon flights on top...
hey, i might be traveling to MUC in april too (also from LA).
Old Mar 19, 2009, 12:08 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Originally Posted by wiredboy10003
Am I insane to do 3 days in Sydney from NYC to get 40,000 miles?
Not at all! Go now while the warmer weather holds out (was just there last week).
Old Mar 19, 2009, 12:10 pm

Programs: DL gold; UA - 1k; AA gold; Marriott Platinum; Hyatt Diamond; SPG gold; Groupon Falcon;
Originally Posted by eagleswings
I am a newbie and have so much to learn. Can anyone please help me:
- What is the difference between EQM and EQS? Which one is better to have more?
- I have about $1900 UA voucher that I received from TYN. If I use this voucher, can I still accumulate the EQM?

Thank you so much!!!

yes, you do - the method of pyment, whether cash or voucher, does not matter.
Old Mar 19, 2009, 12:11 pm

Programs: UA-1Kmm, AA-EX Plt mm-, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by sitroomlarry
I'm glad that UA matched and United PR so quickly let us know about it. I know I am flogging a dead horse, but can United PR, or anyone else, explain why customers travelling on government fares are excluded? They are not necessarily the cheapest fares on the plane.

Probably so as to not be seen as unduly influencing government expenditures.
Old Mar 19, 2009, 12:12 pm

Programs: AC SE, BA silver
Two LHR-MEL-LHR trips for GBP 608 each = 1K with change to spare (starting from scratch) + at least 52K redeemable miles (double that for 1Ps/1Ks).
Old Mar 19, 2009, 12:13 pm

Programs: was UA 1K now Gold, cuz UA 1.3 MM; HA,DL,AS (no status in these), Marriott Gold
Double EQM promo on UA.com

Idly browsing & saw link to 2x EQM promon on .bomb. Apparently new today. Clicked on it, got to registration & did so, BUT, apparently for bookings *after* 3/19. Bah, humbug! I booked three itineraries just this week (2 on Monday, 1 on Tuesday) that meet the qualifying flight period. I recall that last year the similar promo was valid for all flights taken, incl previously booked. Would a mass protest do any good to restore the 2008 policy?
Old Mar 19, 2009, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by yang1980
We should all write/call United to push them to include booking before March 19th.
Why, isnt this promotion to garner new business, not business they already have.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.