Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

UnImpressed by handling of equip change, SYD-SFO UA/ 870 new to old config 747

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2009, 10:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Silver Medallion, UA Executive Premier, CO Gold

Bought the upgrade from Y to C in SYD.

HUGE MISTAKE!

Was not informed that the plane had been changed from the new to the old config. Didn't care what seat i had in new config, just wanted that lie-flat seat across the Pacific.

Realized way to late that I was in an old config and next to the galley.

When I aksed if there would be any chance to sleep on the flight the FA (whos first flight was on a Pan Am Boeing 247) curtly told me:
"Don't count on it."

I am also a DL Medallion member. I travel this route twice a year.

Even though I will have to change at LAX I will happily change to that shiny new 777 that Delta will be flying.

Use up your MP miles folks. I can't imagine UA will be around long.
Old Mar 15, 2009, 11:17 pm

Programs: United 1kMM; AA EX Plat, Hilton Diamond and SPG Plat
Sorry to hear about your trip, I would still fly in old C SYD-SFO(lax) then in Y on a 747. I would never want to fly UA Y on a 747 on such a long flight.
Old Mar 15, 2009, 11:48 pm

Programs: UA, AA, WN; HH, MR, IHG
Originally Posted by SCruzFlyer
So just because you failed to get one of the new configs (which will become more prevalent, not less), you think UA will be going out of business? Strange conclusion, IMHO.
Old Mar 15, 2009, 11:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Did you ask if it was a new C product at the time of UFC? (I assume by buying you mean UFC)
Old Mar 16, 2009, 12:59 am

Programs: UA 2P
Not to be curt but...

Old Mar 16, 2009, 1:16 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA, WN, DL
I've heard of many factors why one should burn UA miles; some justified, some not. But to actually use the reason of having an equipment swap as a sound reason or logic why UA's presence will be short lived? Seems more like an irate rant than anything substantive.
Old Mar 16, 2009, 1:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

While I understand your disappointment, did you ask for a refund as soon as you realized it was the old config? Also, how do you plan on sitting up front on DL without paying for it? They're not quite as generous as UA when it comes to upgrades....
Old Mar 16, 2009, 1:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Man if I was spending the $A1100 buy up I'd be asking whether old or new seats.

Have not heard of the old type here for a while but I guess they swing one in now and again.
Old Mar 16, 2009, 3:33 am

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Realized way to late that I was in an old config and next to the galley.
No excuse for the F/A attitude, but even in the new config there are 8 Biz class seats near the Galley. Those pax are going to suffer regardless of the config.
Old Mar 16, 2009, 5:16 am

Programs: UA 1K MM
Why would you ask a flight attendant if you would be able to sleep?
Old Mar 16, 2009, 6:35 am

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
I would just point out that UFC Y->C ex/to SYD is something I'd consider a good deal. It being old config instead of new wouldn't sway the decision for me.

BTW, check out the OP's post history... it's great, especially if (like me) you're suffering from insomnia. I mean, this guy is just downright unlucky. Other than being swapped out for old config in this thread (although apparently he managed to swing a XY->NC via UFC), he missed 1P by 2k EQMs last year and declined an offer for $500 to buy it (and should probably update that profile ), managed to totally hate (and miss the free beer at) the AA/QF lounge in HNL that everyone else liked (and found the free beer at), had the "worst first class experience" ever just because he didn't like the German food in LH F, missed a connection at an adjacent gate because the FAs/GAs couldn't open the airplane door for 20 minutes, has been in an in-flight depressurization, and - best of all - had ALL FOUR TOILETS completely break down on two flights in three days on US last Thanksgiving.

OP, please post your future itineraries so I ensure I am never on your flights. And thanks for some good reading, as I usually hit Trip Reports and can save those for the next episode.

P.S. Hey OP, have you considered you bring this on yourself sometimes? I mean, going back to DL after so many vehement posts of hatred? (See 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, etc.)
Old Mar 16, 2009, 7:29 am

Caveat emptor?
Old Mar 16, 2009, 8:04 am

Great post summary gengar!

I guess some people have all the luck...
Old Mar 16, 2009, 8:59 am

Programs: SQ PPS UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by i'mlovin'it

Some have all the pain...
Old Mar 16, 2009, 9:06 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by i'mlovin'it

Funny post by gengar. I too have to wonder why OP would ask a flight attendant if there would be any chance to sleep on the flight? Did UA hire a marching band to play throughout?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.