Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Type B voucher + customer service (dollarua)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Type B voucher + customer service (dollarua)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2009, 4:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, HHonors Diamond
Type B voucher + customer service (dollarua) voucher combining

OK, for some reason the search on this site is not working the way I want it to. Looking for the thread about combining vouchers, and what is permitted. I know there is one <errrrr>... searched for type b voucher, combine voucher... ugh!

What I'm trying. Ticket is $430 (fare + taxes)

I have a $300 dollarua voucher, and a $87 type B voucher (from a refare) and a $42 dollar type B voucher (from a refare).

When I goto the airport to book, I should have no trouble using all 3 of these on a single ticket, paying cash/credit card for the remainder right?

The last caveat, the $42 dollar voucher is in my wife's name, the ticket, dollarua, and the 1st type b is in my name... can I use her voucher, or MUST she be present? Can I take a photocopy of her license, or something to prove she's OK with me using the voucher.

Last edited by psubill78; Mar 14, 2009 at 4:53 pm Reason: clarification
Old Mar 14, 2009, 5:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by psubill78
I should have no trouble using all 3 of these on a single ticket, paying cash/credit card for the remainder right?
Correct.

can I use her voucher, or MUST she be present? Can I take a photocopy of her license, or something to prove she's OK with me using the voucher.
It all depends on the agent.
Old Mar 14, 2009, 5:13 pm

Programs: United GS 1.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Correct.

It all depends on the agent.
dollar UAs are usually non combinable. Read your terms.

A customer relations dollar UA is not combinable with a travel exchange coupon.
Old Mar 14, 2009, 5:19 pm
Suspended

on the phone, they told me i cannot use the refare voucher with pmodollarua. i did ticket by mail. if you experience different, let me know. this $8 voucher will drive me nuts haha
Old Mar 14, 2009, 5:21 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by panjfj
dollar UAs are usually non combinable. Read your terms.

A customer relations dollar UA is not combinable with a travel exchange coupon.
Yes they are. They are not combinable with other discounts (i.e., Type A), but refare vouchers are not a discount - they are a form of payment (i.e. Type B). You can combine one Type A voucher with up to three (sometimes more depending on the agent) Type B vouchers.
Old Mar 14, 2009, 5:23 pm
Original Poster

I have booked prior with a Customer Service voucher ($150) and a type B refare voucher... but I didn't know if the one last time was a dollar ua....

I'm pretty sure it will be fine.
Old Mar 14, 2009, 5:24 pm

I didn't know if the one last time was a dollar ua....
As long as it's Type A and not Type AB, you're golden.
Old Mar 14, 2009, 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Yes they are. They are not combinable with other discounts (i.e., Type A), but refare vouchers are not a discount - they are a form of payment (i.e. Type B). You can combine one Type A voucher with up to three (sometimes more depending on the agent) Type B vouchers.
I posted my last voucher combo experience in the master thread, but basically I've been unable to verify whether what you say is the rule or the exception. Type A vouchers still carry fine print that say they are not combinable. The last time I tried to combine, the airport agent and multiple phone agents said it could not be done. Even though I HAVE combined an A and multiple B's in the past, my conclusion was that they were in fact ignoring what was printed on the vouchers.
Old Mar 14, 2009, 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by drjhwang
Type A vouchers still carry fine print that say they are not combinable.
The key is not combinable with what? They are not combinable with other Type A vouchers. When you use a Type A and Type B together, you are not combining anything. You are using a Type A voucher, and paying the add/collect with the Type B (and additional funds if necessary). Whenever I use them, I had the agent the Type A voucher, then when they ask for the add/collect, I give them the Type B voucher(s) and my credit card.

Type B vouchers are the same as cash. Saying you can't use one with a Type A is the same as saying you can't use cash with a Type A.
Old Mar 14, 2009, 7:34 pm

Programs: UA MP, NW WP, AA
Are you sure Type B vouchers are the same as cash? I recently got a book of travel exchange coupons with the following fine prints:

1. Treat as Type B vouchers
2. Non-combinable
3. No residual value

I called a couple of phone agents and they basically told me the same thing. So how could Type B vouchers be used as cash?
Old Mar 14, 2009, 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by LAX/HKG
I recently got a book of travel exchange coupons with the following fine prints
Those look like bump vouchers, which have their own special rules. Other Type B vouchers (like refares) do not have combinability restrictions.
Old Mar 14, 2009, 7:56 pm

They are indeed bump vouchers. So there are different kinds of "Type B" vouchers?
Old Mar 14, 2009, 8:29 pm
Original Poster

The biggest issue with these stupid vouchers is that United makes them SO hard to use, and SO confusing to use.

I wish we had access to the actual rules, so when you are placed with a ticket agent to who says 'no you can't do this' - that you could reference them on how to do it right!?!

Wish me luck tomorrow.. I'll be at Ohare, likely frustrated at a United employee!!
Old Mar 14, 2009, 8:40 pm
Suspended

i think the e-certificates are the WORST. they are difficult to use. for any complicated itinerary, it .bomb's on you. always when given a choice, take a paper cert. at least those are somewhat easier to use. worst case u can call and try to use them. and if no luck you can go to the airport and use them. eventually you'll find someone who can make it work. but the e-cert's sometimes are worthless!
Old Mar 14, 2009, 8:49 pm

[QUOTE=psubill78;11415166]The biggest issue with these stupid vouchers is that United makes them SO hard to use, and SO confusing to use.

I can't agree more on this. Actually when I tried to use my vouchers I talked to 3 different phone/ticketing agents and they all gave different answers. So I am not sure even UA's employee know how to apply the vouchers.

In contrast, I was bumped on an AA flight a couple years ago and was given vouchers that worked the same as cash.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.