Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

In United, We Trust - Most Common UA Mistruths

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

In United, We Trust - Most Common UA Mistruths

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2009, 11:13 pm

Originally Posted by stanfordhokie
Originally Posted by Starman
How about "the award winning Hemispheres magazine", of which you of course have your "personal" copy. Haven't you always wondered who gave the award?
That's not a mistruth. It received 14 last year.

http://www.hemispheresmagazine.com/aboutus.php
United is pleased to announce that having listened to the input of its most valued flyers it will be outsourcing its award winning Hemispheres magazine in March. You can expect the new, outsourced magazine to achieve a level of performance consistent with United's other operations and remove any confusion for our loyal flyers.

Old Jan 12, 2009, 11:46 am

Two of my fav:
"United is pleased to offer worldwide tower to tower communications on Channel 9"

"You must fly with your bags"
Old Jan 12, 2009, 11:58 am

Programs: UA S
Originally Posted by szbenny
"We arrived at our destination on time" announces the FA upon landing and before a 20-30' taxiing trip (ORD anybody?) that made us arrive at our gate 20-30' late.
this just happened to me Saturday (on AA though, not UA). That new runway takes forever to taxi from
Old Jan 12, 2009, 12:27 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by SQPPS
Its actually not fine for a FA to indicate or announce this because its not in their PA script...or so I've been told...

This is something the decide on their own to announce to an aircraft jammed full of people to either make themselves feel more important than they really are, to state a fact they believe to be true or to detract from the fact that they really are 90% in the hospitality business.
I'd say way more than 90%. FA's are on board to serve, not for some safety mumbo jumbo I can achieve on my own...

Oh, solid United lie: "ps".
Old Jan 12, 2009, 12:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MR Plat, HH Gold
I can't believe no one has mentioned it, but I may have missed it... the most famous of all?

"fly the friendly skies"
Old Jan 12, 2009, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

UA is more expensive than WN and has the highest fares in general.
Old Jan 12, 2009, 1:23 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
The odds of me being in an incident where I take advantage of your primary safety functions is ridiculously close to zero. The odds of me being on a flight where I might want to enjoy reasonable, human service is ridiculously close to 100%.
Of course, it isn't zero, as I learned the hard way.
Old Jan 12, 2009, 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by TravelingJoel
I can't believe no one has mentioned it, but I may have missed it... the most famous of all?

"fly the friendly skies"
Nobody mentioned it, and you beat me to it
Old Jan 12, 2009, 3:00 pm

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
My personal favorite: "Z fares are not a paid business class fare, they are a kind of economy class ticket that allow you to sit in the business class cabin"
Old Jan 12, 2009, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by as219
Of course, it isn't zero, as I learned the hard way.
Which is why I didn't say zero...I said ridiculously close to zero.
Old Jan 12, 2009, 4:31 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by uanj
My personal favorite: "Z fares are not a paid business class fare, they are a kind of economy class ticket that allow you to sit in the business class cabin"
Did a UA employee actually say that to you? I would rage.
Old Jan 12, 2009, 4:50 pm

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Originally Posted by BenjaminNYC
Did a UA employee actually say that to you? I would rage.
Yep, on more than one occasion and the last time with the GS desk in LAX no less! That was memorable. Our original p.s. flight out of JFK was cancelled and we were downgraded to Y on the next and missed our connecting flight to SYD. While sitting at the gate in JFK the agent came on board and pulled two people out of Y, including the guy next to me, saying that there finally could clear two more people on the upgrade list to C. As a GS missing an intl connection UA sent someone to meet the three of us in LAX and I really complained. But the first agent said we would not even get a refund because we only paid for a Y seat and that was what we got. We eventually got a refund but the misinformation out there on Z fares is incredible.
Old Jan 12, 2009, 5:00 pm
Formerly known as CollegeFlyer

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by uanj
While sitting at the gate in JFK the agent came on board and pulled two people out of Y, including the guy next to me, saying that there finally could clear two more people on the upgrade list to C. As a GS missing an intl connection UA sent someone to meet the three of us in LAX and I really complained. But the first agent said we would not even get a refund because we only paid for a Y seat and that was what we got. We eventually got a refund but the misinformation out there on Z fares is incredible.
Holy crap. When you're jet lagged and drowsy, there's nothing like incompetent customer service to get your blood boiling, huh? And from a GS agent??! Wow.

IMO you deserve more compensation than just a refund of the fare difference. Aren't there DOT rules providing for a 150% or something refund of the fare difference on an involuntary downgrade? And here, there were even C seats left at the end but the GA gave them to upgraders instead of business-class ticket purchasers!
Old Jan 13, 2009, 2:35 pm

Location: Since the BoSox and ChiSox won it, now it is the Cubs turn to take the Series. Go Cubs Go!
Originally Posted by UAX_Brasilia
I'll turn this around a little bit...

"The 24 hour refund period was only for a limited time," which is false. UA is one of the few airlines that offer this service.
The 24 hour refund policy is only valid when you find a lower airfare on another carrier.
Old Jan 13, 2009, 2:39 pm
Formerly known as CollegeFlyer

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by chitownflyer
The 24 hour refund policy is only valid when you find a lower airfare on another carrier.
That's not true. When a ticket is purchased from UA directly (.bomb, Call center, or ticket counter), you can cancel within 24 hours for any reason, even if it's because you just don't feel like flying that trip anymore. Or your upgrade didn't clear at booking. Or you found out that an someone you despise is on that flight.

I have availed of the 24-hour cancellation policy for two of those three examples, though I'm not saying which two.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.