FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileage-plus-pre-merger-504/)
-   -   In United, We Trust - Most Common UA Mistruths (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileage-plus-pre-merger/908471-united-we-trust-most-common-ua-mistruths.html)

PanHam Jan 10, 2009 11:35 am

In United, We Trust - Most Common UA Mistruths

As I embark, shortly, on my first travel of 2009, I thought it might be fun to compile a list of United mistruths. Not in an excessively negative fashion, of course, but just those phrases that pop up from GAs, CSRs, and the ICC that make us all chuckle, just a little bit, and, at times, make us shake our heads in disbelief in their deviations from the truth.

So, list 'em all - and if necessary, place a little bit of context around your quotation.

I'll start (and add more as I emerge from my pre-move packing!)

-"United does not normally compensate under these circumstances" (In reference to a mechanical)

-"You have to be traveling in international C or F to receive drink chits. Period." (At, where else, IAD)

SEA1K4EVR Jan 10, 2009 11:37 am

"It's against FAA regulations for us to... (fill in the blank)"

sbm12 Jan 10, 2009 11:42 am

"You are not entitled to compensation for a class of service downgrade because you purchased a coach fare" for H-Ups with Ted planes swapped in.

dimramon Jan 10, 2009 11:47 am

"In order to better serve you..." or "based on feedback, and to enhance customer experience...", when cutting service.

"FA's are here primarily for your safety...", so please don't disturb us when you are thirsty and we are reading People magazine.

PanHam Jan 10, 2009 11:49 am

Originally Posted by dimramon (Post 11049304)
"
"FA's are here primarily for your safety...", so please don't disturb us when you are thirsty and we are reading People magazine.

Haha - that's a good one. I always love the "for your safety" warning/admonition.

Or, another favorite of mine, from .bomb: "An error occurred and you request was unable to be processed. Please contact Customer Service...and reference this arcane booking code."

stanfordhokie Jan 10, 2009 11:55 am

"That airline may be making awards available to its own members on that flight, but not to UA MP members"

mlcrx2b Jan 10, 2009 11:58 am

"It's a pleasure having you onboard."

ECOTONE Jan 10, 2009 12:01 pm

"Program enhancement"

SFflyer123 Jan 10, 2009 12:07 pm

Redeemable miles are actually "redeemable."

cblaisd Jan 10, 2009 12:11 pm

..."FA's are here primarily for your safety..."

Get back to us after the next in-flight emergency or emergency landing or survivable crash.

Always good to see yet another thread which helps explain why UA staffers might come to FT and the United forum for awhile, but most don't stay -- understandably.

Originally Posted by mlcrx2b (Post 11049355)
"It's a pleasure having you onboard."

Most of my flights to/from Hawai`i are staffed by FAs who are genuinely pleased to have folks on board, and enjoy their work.

FreFly Jan 10, 2009 12:16 pm

I love this one! And there are more FAs per pax in F because those in F are the most dangerous types.

PanHam Jan 10, 2009 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by cblaisd (Post 11049408)
Get back to us after the next in-flight emergency or emergency landing or survivable crash.

Always good to see yet another thread which helps explain why UA staffers might come to FT and the United forum for awhile, but most don't stay -- understandably.

It's fine for FAs to indicate that they are "primarily there for [our] safety," which, of course, we hope they are. It just irks me when that phrase is used an excuse not to provide a dignifying level of customer service.

FreFly Jan 10, 2009 12:20 pm

"The following flight time has been revised" (EasyUpdate on a delayed flight)

jhayes_1780 Jan 10, 2009 12:25 pm

(sound of intl ringing) "Hello United Airlines, my name is Peter Smith" :D

Markie Jan 10, 2009 12:27 pm

"Upgrades confirmable in advance"