Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

In United, We Trust - Most Common UA Mistruths

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

In United, We Trust - Most Common UA Mistruths

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2009, 9:28 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by justforfun
You mean from the time of the original 13 colonies?
Now that you mention it, wouldn't surprise me

EmailKid
Old Jan 10, 2009, 9:45 pm
Formerly known as CollegeFlyer

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by ChicagoUnited
Or, my favorite, "This is a VERY full flight." Huh? Very full?
There's nothing wrong with saying very full...sometimes it's very accurate. As I mentioned in post #36 above.
Old Jan 10, 2009, 9:46 pm

Programs: Star Alliance, One World, Skyteam, BR, GA, EK, VX, SPG, Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton, IC
"The flight is still on time...(however) it depends on the flight crew." UX (Skywest) @ LAX
Old Jan 10, 2009, 10:09 pm

Programs: UA 2.6 MM, 1K, HHonors Diamond
"We arrived at our destination on time" announces the FA upon landing and before a 20-30' taxiing trip (ORD anybody?) that made us arrive at our gate 20-30' late.
Old Jan 10, 2009, 10:16 pm

Programs: Star Alliance, One World, Skyteam, BR, GA, EK, VX, SPG, Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton, IC
SEA-HNL (F, C, Y) via SFO
HNL-SEA (F, C, Y) via DEN

Go figure..
Old Jan 11, 2009, 5:11 am

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Originally Posted by CollegeFlyer
There's nothing wrong with saying very full...sometimes it's very accurate. As I mentioned in post #36 above.
15 yard penalty for verbal taunting!
Old Jan 11, 2009, 5:34 am

Programs: Some good, some bad
Originally Posted by Starman
How about "the award winning Hemispheres magazine", of which you of course have your "personal" copy. Haven't you always wondered who gave the award?
That's not a mistruth. It received 14 last year.

http://www.hemispheresmagazine.com/aboutus.php
Old Jan 11, 2009, 7:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
That UA is a bad airline.
Old Jan 11, 2009, 8:28 am

Programs: AAexp, UA*G, HY LT Globalist, FB Plat, Centurion
Originally Posted by PanHam
It's fine for FAs to indicate that they are "primarily there for [our] safety," which, of course, we hope they are. It just irks me when that phrase is used an excuse not to provide a dignifying level of customer service.
Its actually not fine for a FA to indicate or announce this because its not in their PA script...or so I've been told...

This is something the decide on their own to announce to an aircraft jammed full of people to either make themselves feel more important than they really are, to state a fact they believe to be true or to detract from the fact that they really are 90% in the hospitality business.
Old Jan 11, 2009, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by cblaisd
Most of my flights to/from Hawai`i are staffed by FAs who are genuinely pleased to have folks on board, and enjoy their work.
And I'll bet most of those never feel the need to make the snarky "we're here primarily for your safety" comment.

The odds of me being in an incident where I take advantage of your primary safety functions is ridiculously close to zero. The odds of me being on a flight where I might want to enjoy reasonable, human service is ridiculously close to 100%.
Old Jan 11, 2009, 9:03 am

Programs: AAexp, UA*G, HY LT Globalist, FB Plat, Centurion
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
And I'll bet most of those never feel the need to make the snarky "we're here primarily for your safety" comment.

The odds of me being in an incident where I take advantage of your primary safety functions is ridiculously close to zero. The odds of me being on a flight where I might want to enjoy reasonable, human service is ridiculously close to 100%.
For sure...

And what i find worse about their PA's are the endless nature of the boarding announcements that go on and on and on...

One FTer just commented in another thread that the PA system on his ZRH/IAD was inop. I am willing to bet that everyone was able to board, sit down, put their things up and the captain was able to fly the plane without the endless announcements they love to make. I wonder if that too is mandated/trained or if they just take liberty like the "primarily for your safety" union brainwash regurgitation.
Old Jan 11, 2009, 1:32 pm

Programs: MP, 1K 1MM
Oh, my!

Originally Posted by fzwinter
As are the CSR's in the Honolulu phone center. I try to call midday PST - seems I have a much better chance to reach them. Nothing beats the Hawaiian accent (and subsequent competence) when trying to do complicated things over the phone.
Thanks, FZ, for reminding me of the reliably outstanding service I associate with the HNL people, as has been mentioned many times before in other threads. "Outstanding" because they cut to the chase, seem to have the authority and know-how to make even better arrangements than I was requesting, and do it with personality. Call it "Aloha"...^
Old Jan 11, 2009, 3:45 pm

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Starman
How about "the award winning Hemispheres magazine", of which you of course have your "personal" copy. Haven't you always wondered who gave the award?
have you read the competition???
Old Jan 11, 2009, 7:52 pm

Programs: UA 1MM Lifetime Gold, starting AK, Marriott Bonvoy
"We cannot process this change online. If your reservation was made through United Reservations or united.com, please call 1-800-UNITED-1 (1-800-864-8331) or call the Reservations phone number on the back of your Mileage Plus membership card. Otherwise, if your reservation was not made through United, please contact your original place of purchase. "
Old Jan 11, 2009, 10:51 pm

Programs: UA 1P
Once it's safe to move about the cabin.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.