Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

E-upgrades To Be Introduced In Time For Thanksgiving

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2000, 9:19 pm
Original Poster

Just got off the phone with a nice lady at the Premier Desk and was told that E-upgrades will be available around the third week of November. Great news given that I've waited almost five months for my 10,000 mile pack(s) of upgrades! Soon we don't have to wait any longer and be held up by slowpokes at United!

*HighFlyah*
Old Sep 29, 2000, 7:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold

Not a cheering matter from my viewpoint!

Paper, paper, paper.

------------------
~ Glen ~
Old Sep 29, 2000, 9:32 am
Original Poster

ozstamps,

Why do you favor paper upgrades?

Old Sep 29, 2000, 8:27 pm

Location: Southern California - UA1K, Delta GM, Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold, AA Platinum
I still want to see the check in agents to actually remember to collect a 1K Confirmed upgrade.... does anyone else have to remind them?

Will these also be "electronic"?
Old Sep 29, 2000, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The 1K North Americans...for sure.

The 1K Systemwides were not mentioned on the memo that was sent me. That, of course, means nothing, really.
Old Sep 30, 2000, 1:16 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
The main reason I favor paper upgrades is that I can transfer them to whom I please. That's the biggest problem by far with electronic upgrades if they can't be transfered at will with a simple call.

The other big issue is that agents on more than a few ocassions are kind enough not to ask for my certs. Unlikely to happen with electronic upgrades--they'll come out automatically.
Old Sep 30, 2000, 3:12 am
Original Member

What if we wanted United to send us the paper upgrades instaed of the electronic one.Would they do that?I'd rather stick with paper as it gives us flexibility and also the fact that they sometimes don't collect it at the gate.
Old Sep 30, 2000, 3:40 am
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
I prefer paper - but I can't change UA's decision.

So now I am looking forward to future/new glitches/loopholes in that e-upgrade-system.

It will be (hopefully even more) fun (than now) for me, to switch from flight-segment to flight-segment, from upgrade to upgrade, between my two ff-programs (UA:1K next year, LH Senator).

To make it not too simple, may be I should start with [*]a transatlantic flight going ZRH-FRA-SFO in paid eco, all with UA flight#, european segment in LH metal and UA code-share#, transatlantic in UA metal and UA-flight#[*]upgrade the first European part (UA-code-share#/LH=carrier) with a LH-voucher (LH allows upgrades on UA-flight# as long as the actual carrier is LH)[*]upgrade the second segment with a LH-paper-voucher good for a transatlantic-upgrade on UA (FRA-SFO, confirmable at booking time)[*]check-in with LH's- handling agents in ZRH (Swissport = SR daughter company)[*]asking at the same time in ZRH the (upgraded) boarding pass for the second segment FRA-SFO on UA (I know that Swissport in ZRH has no access to UA-reservation system, but I will have a print-out of my passengers manifest with the confirmed upgrade and seat-allocation to show them). The 'poor' Swissport agent will have no training/knowledge about UA's changes to electronic upgrading/mileage-deductions[*]change my Frequent-Flier-number for the first segment (ZRH-FRA) to UA's-MileagePlus program[*]change the second segment (FRA-SFO) to my LH miles&more-ff-program (that's the segment I originally am supposed to use my LH-paper-upgrade or otherwise UA should deduct a voucher or miles)

I am really looking forwad

[This message has been edited by Rudi (edited 09-30-2000).]
Old Sep 30, 2000, 8:58 am

Location: Southern California - UA1K, Delta GM, Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold, AA Platinum
Rudi,

Now I know why some agents have a confused look on their face when I approach them.. they just got through dealing with that sort of "schedule". :P

Anyway, I am looking forward to see if they still have some ability to "cut us some slack" ie not collect certs. I never had them miss the 500 mile certs.. but anything else I think confuses them
Old Sep 30, 2000, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Clerk at LAS last week asked me how the flight to LAX was being upgraded and did I have some 500 milers for him. (Was confirmed F in the system). Told him they took points out at Sydney. They did .. but only for SYD-LAX-LAS! He also looked confused. And I kept my 500 milers I had with me, just in case his confusion turned into an outstretched hand! Think the USA had just beaten us in a tight swimmimng race so he was feeling good.
Old Sep 30, 2000, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In my maybe dozen times witnessing Rudi check in for even the most simple of flights, I believe the average time at the counter for him is in the neighborhood of 45 minutes. His things are so complex in the system, they seem to be able to pull up the reservation and everything looks fine, but can never seem to print out the boarding passes. Supervisors scratching their heads, 30 year veterans with amazed looks of bewilderment staring at the monitor like deer caught in the headlights, calls to Tech Support, Mileage Plus, Chicago, Lufthansa...all are amusing experiences when accomanying Rudi to the airport! Arrive early.
Old Oct 4, 2000, 5:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That will all be history when they go electronic.
Old Oct 4, 2000, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

On the contrary, I'll bet the new E-Upgrade system will just add another layer of electro babble to Rudi's already multi-language, multi-airline, multi-system, multi-program, multi-promotion itineraries.

I'd bet his average check-in time requirements go up, not down.

And that's just the way he likes it!

[This message has been edited by PremEx (edited 10-04-2000).]
Old Oct 4, 2000, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Dup.

[This message has been edited by PremEx (edited 10-04-2000).]
Old Oct 4, 2000, 3:02 pm
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus

[This message has been edited by Rudi (edited 10-05-2000).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.