Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2000, 12:59 pm
dw
Original Poster

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Coming Soon: More Comfort on United

On the latest statement:

Coming Soon: More Comfort on United
At United, we are constantly seeking ways to make your travel more comfortable, every step of the way. And we will soon have very good news to announce! Watch for details in the months to come.

Any ideas?
An increase of international C legroom to match all other US carriers?
International EconPlus to match AA?
Old Oct 2, 2000, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I hear it will be some sort of la-la-land drug mixed in with the chicken.
Old Oct 2, 2000, 1:14 pm
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

..."latest statement"

Could this have been for the "Economy Plus" seating!
Old Oct 2, 2000, 3:52 pm
In Memoriam

".... in the months to come" in UA language that is "don't expect it to be completed before 2004"
Old Oct 2, 2000, 3:56 pm

Location: San Francisco, CA USA // UA 1K 2 Million Miler, AA EXP 2MM, HH Diamond, SPG Plat // Easily found on SFO-ORDs
Making Y+ fleet-wide as well as plane-wide seems like a little too much like playing catch-up with AA. And, that's not going to mean much to Premiers, etc., who've had access to the product for a while.

Whatever it is they're working on, my guess is that it's going to have to be much more innovative and distinctive (not me-too) than that. Question is: will it be, like Y+, targeted only at Premiers, or will be, like More Room Throughout Coach, for the whole traveling public.

I think it was something of a blunder to make Y+ for high-rev passengers only. I wonder if they'll keep heading in that direction.
Old Oct 2, 2000, 4:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Perhaps they've located a new vendor that will prove to be a more reliable supplier of the current amenities. From what I understand, over the last couple of years they have been using the same vendor to supply headphones, paper for the menus, hot towels, salt and pepper shakers, airshow and laptop power (777's only). For all I know, the same vendor is currently maintaining UA's magnificent fleet of 767-200s and is responsible for F and C-class order selection as well.
Old Oct 2, 2000, 4:16 pm

Location: Southern California - UA1K, Delta GM, Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold, AA Platinum
I saw that on my latest statement also... makes me wonder what United has up it's sleaves..... Who knows.

Maybe they will actually have aircraft that looks like it is for the 21st century? Maybe they will have More carry-on space. Online TV??? video games? Pizza Hutt pizza??

Who knows.... I would enjoy a massage chair (like the C class seats on the 777)
Old Oct 2, 2000, 7:17 pm

I sure hope that they will be looking at domestic First Class comforts as well.In most cases, current US first class services leave much to be desired in the way of legroom ,old seats, no leg supports , no personal video screens,poor qualitly ambience,etc. This is bearable when I am using points or Certificates to upgrade but when I pay full First Class fare and end up in a 767-200 or in the front row of an Airbus , I wonder should I have paid 25% of that fare and sat a few rows back in Economy Plus?
Ozflier
Old Oct 2, 2000, 7:31 pm
Suspended

Location: Promoted to Chairman of the Most Wonderful Continental Airlines Highly Valuable OnePass Program Security and Ideological Purity Bureau
More Comfort on United, Eh??

UA Translation: If we get our way, you'll have to deal with even more crowded airplanes when the merger with US gets approved.

More Comfort on United's Bottom Line, though.

[This message has been edited by avek00 (edited 10-02-2000).]
Old Oct 2, 2000, 9:31 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold
ozflier:

I agree completely with your comments about U.S. domestic First Class although I will have to say, "Dream on!" if you think we will ever see PTV's, leg rests and the like in domestic First. In fact, given the sorry state of that product across the major airlines (with the possible exception of CO's BusinessFirst, which I have not yet tried, and "transcon" service on the majors), I cannot imagine anyone being willing to pay full First Class fare unless it is truly an emergency and "F" is the only class available.
Old Oct 2, 2000, 10:14 pm

Programs: United 1K, American EXP & 3 Million Miler, Hyatt Globalist & Marriott Ambassador Elite
They will probably follow BA's lead as usuall and open up an international plus. To little too late and probably only for premiers, which while I am not I hate to have family or friends relagated to that if they are traveling seperately.

Old Oct 3, 2000, 4:19 am

I saw on their latest timetable that the dreaded 744OPs will be updated with the amenities that other 744s enjoy right now... I think it said "by July 2000"...

I wonder when the "real" target date is, but I really do hope it is soon... Those people who fly transpacific deserve a lot better than the current 744OP. They don't even have personal TV in Business

Old Oct 3, 2000, 4:24 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Current timetable says by the end of the year 2000. Any bets that it ends up on JFK-HKG in April?
Old Oct 3, 2000, 8:50 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold
stargold:

You're quite right about the "OP" variant of UA's 747-400. I have been on a rant about those aircraft ever since I flew on one in "C" from LAX to SYD two years ago. How UA can consider that configuration's "C" cabin to be deserving of the "United Business" name and fares is beyond me. The seats are old and uncomfortable, the pitch sorely inadequate and, as you pointed out, no PTV's.

[This message has been edited by bbinchi (edited 10-03-2000).]
Old Oct 3, 2000, 8:54 am

I am actually hoping that UA introduces Y+ for international routes as well... It's not all that much effort, and those of us (2P,1P,1k,*G etc) who fly more than the average holidaymaker can actually get a little more for our loyalty.

38" is a lot more than any carrier after all... I can't see any more amenities coming unless they're going to charge more for the ticket, and I don't think many people will actually pay for that.

stargold

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.