Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Coming Soon: More Comfort on United

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2000, 9:24 am

Originally posted by bbinchi:
stargold:

You're quite right about the "OP" variant of UA's 747-400. I have been on a rant about those aircraft ever since I flew on one in "C" from LAX to SYD two years ago. How UA can consider that configuration's "C" cabin to be deserving of the "United Business" name and fares is beyond me. The seats are old and uncomfortable, the pitch sorely inadequate and, as you pointed out, no PTV's.

[This message has been edited by bbinchi (edited 10-03-2000).]
bbinchi,

I was on one of those dreaded OPs from NRT-SFO in August (guess that's not as bad as LAX-SYD OMG!) and basically the entire upper deck C cabin was tearing the poor flight attendants to pieces with complaints (well-deserved, but not towards the FAs of course -they can't do anything about it... they hate it as well!).

*HighFlyah*
Old Oct 3, 2000, 1:38 pm
EPS

Programs: UA 1P; HHonors Silver
I'll give you two hints:
[list=1][*]Page 199 of the October 2000 Hemispheres
Leading Through Comfort / Narita is the first lounge to be redesigned as part of the airline's extensive comfort initiatives.
[*]united.com - Tokyo's Narita[/list=a]
Old Oct 3, 2000, 4:02 pm

Location: Southern California - UA1K, Delta GM, Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold, AA Platinum
:::::Imagining Showers in LAX:::::
My flight was delayed, but at least I am clean..

Also, any idea what type of 747's fly from LAX- HNL???
Old Oct 3, 2000, 4:09 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA MM *G. Continental *G
Instead of showers on arrival they will be installed on board so that you can walk off the plane clean and refreshed.
Old Oct 3, 2000, 5:13 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold
hsilbiger,

Your comment reminds me of something. When the 747s first rolled out, the airlines were tossing around all sorts of ideas on what to do with all that extra room. I remember seeing an artist's rendering of a tired executive jogging on a treadmill on the upper deck at the end of a tiring day.

Also, I believe TWA had a piano on board at least one of their early 747s. But it was eventually done away with since it was mainly children who "played" them by banging on the keys!! Speaking of TWA, what the heck ever happenned to "Comfort Class?" I remember reading their CEO did not expect AA or UA to keep their versions of it for long.

Neal
Old Oct 3, 2000, 5:49 pm
dw
Original Poster

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
I read a few months ago that SQ was actually studying the idea of installing showers for long-haul international F passengers. Apparently someone developed a filtration system that could power a shower with only 18 liters of water.

Personally, I think shower facilities at an arrivals lounge make more sense. Whenever I hear the ridiculous Airbus pitches at exercise equipment in the A3XXs, I just think of turbulance.
Old Oct 3, 2000, 7:57 pm

Programs: AA 1MM/Gold, Marriott Gold
Comfort Class on TWA was phased out several years ago- obviously these things don't happen in a vacuum, but TWA found that when it came down to it, people were not willing to pay extra for a few inches more of space.

If I remember correctly, the comfort class seats went out around the time TWA expanded their narrowbody FC cabins in order to keep capacity the same.

As for AA or UA, because they are bigger airlines and have more clout, the extra space has a better chance of holding.
Old Oct 3, 2000, 10:15 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Titanium
Can you tell in UC Disk or Online if a flight is a 744OP thats been reconfig'd or not? Going SFO/LHR and SFO/NRT in C in November and am hoping its got the newer seats.
Old Oct 3, 2000, 11:10 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Marriot Gold
There is a totally new business class seat in the works - I understand it almost lays flat.....I suspect this is what is in the works.

Haven't heard anything about expanding the "Economy Plus" to the international fleet (although it wouldn't surprise me....)

Old Oct 5, 2000, 8:25 am

I don't really think BA's World Traveller Plus would be very successful, mainly because there simply wouldn't be enough full-fare passengers to justify the extra cost of fitting it across the whole fleet.

However, I like UA's E+ because it gives more room for status. It's just as well giving everyone 2-3" more like AA, but UA's 38" is much better, and in UA's viewpoint, probably generates loyalty. It gives people a reason to stick with UA, and I feel that loyal flyers should get something special rather than share an inferior product (relatively speaking of course)

I would really like to see it introduced on international flights because in normal Y the pitch is quite miserable, and having 38" pitch might just about make the flight bearable (by making you forget the fact that "the FAs are there mainly for safety", ie lack of service, on that JFK-HKG 15 hours or so flight)

stargold

Old Oct 5, 2000, 8:29 am

(oops, double post)

[This message has been edited by stargold (edited 10-06-2000).]
Old Oct 5, 2000, 10:19 am

It will be a unified product & branding on all int'l planes: first suite in F, new lie-flat seats in C, then a 2 cabin Y--the front will be int'l Y+ and the back, steerage.
Old Oct 5, 2000, 11:29 am
Dub

Programs: UA 1K, 2MM
International Y+ seating would get my enthusiastic vote! Hope UA are reading this....
Old Oct 8, 2000, 12:12 am

Programs: UA 1K 2021-22-23-24;Formerly a longtime UA Premier Exec; NW silver (legacy), Alaska Gold (way back)
In response to Neal:

I too remember the initial 747 configurations. The upstairs was to be a bar and lounge, with room for chairs and couches -- the sky bar or sky lounge was the name, I think. But that was when flying was still expensive (in real dollar terms), something like an alternative to the transatlantic passenger ship. Now it's the alternative to the bus -- and the lounges have gone the way of the dodo in the name of revenue enhancement.

I'm an occasional traveler who likes elite status. The airline appeals to me by offering the occasional perk -- and E+ is a great one. I'm not usually a customer for full fare C or F class internationally, so offering E+ internationally would get me to take one more trip at Y or H fares, probably worth it to United.

------------------
"If you want to win the game, write the rules."
Old Oct 8, 2000, 12:28 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Miket:

You SHOULD be safe on those 747-400 routes as they are usually OB configurations, all of which have the new seats.

I don't think any of the OPs have new seats yet--although they're SUPPOSED to by the end of the year...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.