Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Delayed/Cancelled UA International Flights [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated Delayed/Cancelled UA International Flights [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2010, 9:44 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by FiveMileFinal
Did a search, couldn't find much, sorry.

Read on airliners.net that today's UA931 from LHR-SFO decided to make an unscheduled pit-stop in Iceland. Apparently it was pretty serious as someone from the flight claims that passengers were in brace positions and that fire trucks were rolling.

Anyone have any additional news on this? Anybody get the tail number? Any FTers on board?
Fire trucks were ready at the runway. Passengers were reminded of brace position and instructed that we might have emergency evacuation. However, the landing itself was very smooth. Nobody called for brace position. We were all bussed to a nearby hangar and then from the hangar to the terminal. Spent 5+ hours there. Then the flight was supposed to go to IAD, then the crew went over time, so we got bussed to hotels in town. And now we're about to board (4pm the next day). Here's hoping for a smooth and uneventful flight to SFO now.
Old Oct 17, 2010, 9:50 am

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
They thought they smelled fireworks on board. Turns out it was an air conditioning system thing, not fireworks burning.
http://avherald.com/h?article=4324f043&opt=0
Old Oct 17, 2010, 12:08 pm

Programs: Lawl COVID
Originally Posted by jib71
Fire trucks were ready at the runway. Passengers were reminded of brace position and instructed that we might have emergency evacuation. However, the landing itself was very smooth. Nobody called for brace position. We were all bussed to a nearby hangar and then from the hangar to the terminal. Spent 5+ hours there. Then the flight was supposed to go to IAD, then the crew went over time, so we got bussed to hotels in town. And now we're about to board (4pm the next day). Here's hoping for a smooth and uneventful flight to SFO now.
Glad everything turned out okay and you didn't have to brace. I take this flight a lot so it was of significant interest to me. Doing it in a week and a half and again next month.
Old Oct 17, 2010, 10:16 pm

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by FiveMileFinal
Glad everything turned out okay and you didn't have to brace. I take this flight a lot so it was of significant interest to me. Doing it in a week and a half and again next month.
And I'll be flying the reverse route on Tues.

In the end, we spent another two hours at Keflavik, waiting for UA to deal with "plane not ready", "door jammed when catering crew tried to close it", "mechanic needs to come back on board" etc. Finally took off after 6pm.

It seems UA is offering 17,500 UA miles in compensation (for UAMP general member in Y).
Old Oct 18, 2010, 6:51 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Marriott Titanium,
Just got a txt that my ua851 today 18th is departing at 6pm! What's the issue here? Any suggestions on other routes?
Old Oct 18, 2010, 10:23 am

Programs: CX DM, DL DM, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by restlessinRNO
mckerrow - I did read your report! I'm amazed UA would not provide hotel accommodation (in downtown Singapore) for a mechanical cancellation. Clearly at a station like SIN, with 2 flights a day, UA does not have the staff to handle irreg operations. Hopefully you will get a response from 1Kvoice. Unfortunately in these circumstances you always lose your NC seats.
I overheard an 1K member asked supervisor (wearing UA uniform) in SIN where airport station manager is. He got answer that SIN and HKG share the same airport station manager, and the manager stays in HKG. I also think the whole problem is those supervisors did not provide guideline for SATS agents to handle this situation, especially for taking care of GS/1K members.

Got response two days after I sent email to 1Kvoice:

Dear Mr. mckerrow:

Thank you for taking the time to write in to us.

Please allow me to express my sincere apologies for what occurred on your recent flight with us. Having served as an air carrier for the past 70 years, this certainly runs counter to our standard for quality service and seamless travel. In addition I apologize for the delay in response.

Despite our best preparations, flight disruptions are sometimes unavoidable. We will not hesitate to delay or cancel a flight whether due to controllable or non-controllable reasons in order to ensure the safety of our passengers and crew. As your aircraft required mechanical servicing, your frustration is undoubtedly understood. Please be assured that this has been reported to our Maintenance Department for immediate attention.

While delays do sometimes occur, sub-standard customer service should not. As you report of my colleagues behavior in Singapore with poor handling of your situation certainly does not meet our United standard for service. Being a 1K you expect the best from us when involved in an irregular operation. The customer service agents at the airport are given extensive training to offer you efficient and relevant information to your specific needs. The lack of communication and service you received during this stressful time is truly unacceptable. Your feedback will be used to initiate training opportunities for our agents in these areas.

I am glad to hear that our Customer Contact center in Singapore was able to assist you with a flight home. I know that this was not the ideal flight you were looking for and I regret to hear your disappointment.

While I am unable to undo the circumstances you experienced I would like to offer you this tangible expression of our goodwill in the hopes that you will allow us the opportunity to rectify this situation and regain your trust as an airline. Please see the terms and conditions for your Electronic Certificates below.

On behalf of my 80,000 colleagues, thank you for your patience and continued loyalty since 2006.

At the conclusion of this email, please fill out the survey where you can rate my individual performance. I value your feedback and hope that you walked away very satisfied with my service. If I could have been better in handling your request, please reply to this email, which will be escalated for further review to ensure we have done everything possible.

Regards,

XXX XXX
United Airlines Customer Relations

$350 E-cert is what I got from this response.
Old Oct 24, 2010, 10:41 pm

Programs: UA GS 4MM
931 keflavik 16 oct

i can't seem to find a thread about 931's 26 hour visit to exciting keflavik en route sfo from lhr on 16/17 oct. a fan in the ventilation system froze up and shared the appropriate roasting insulation smell with us in the cabin. i have a log and pictures.

Last edited by randyqx; Oct 24, 2010 at 10:46 pm
Old Oct 25, 2010, 7:31 am

Programs: UA GS 4MM
Originally Posted by jib71
UA is offering 17,500 UA miles in compensation (for UAMP general member in Y).
i visited exciting keflavik on 931. united offered me $600 domestic, which is a joke as i am tokyo-based, and other useless things. a nice lady from ugs is trying to reach me by phone, which is non-trivial.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 5:43 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
A Chicago jetliner headed to Shanghai was forced to make an emergency landing in Winnipeg Monday.

The pilot reported smoke in the cockpit early in the afternoon, said airport officials.

Winnipeg fire and emergency crews were on the tarmac as the plane made a safe landing.

Airport officials said United Airlines will send a replacement plane to Winnipeg so that a mechanical inspection can be carried out on the first plane.
http://winnipeg.ctv.ca/servlet/an/lo...b=WinnipegHome
Old Oct 25, 2010, 6:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mckerrow
10/12 UA804 SIN-NRT canceled due to mechanical issue......

.....No words for how they are going to help GS/1K members......

They also announced no hotel room is going to be provided if passengers were rebooked to flight next day because all hotel in Singapore are full (well, the transit hotel and crown plaza hotel in Changi Airport were full. Some other hotel in downtown Singapore still had availability.).
Thanks for sharing your experience, Mckerrow.
Really disappointing how UA SIN would treat 1Ks/GS, esp re accommodations.
Would have been tempted to book a room on my own and then take it up with UA CS once stateside. At least to get reimbursed by $cert, close to cash for FFfolks buying UA tix on a regular basis.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 7:42 pm

Programs: Something lifetime here and there
Originally Posted by cesco.g
Thanks for sharing your experience, Mckerrow.
Really disappointing how UA SIN would treat 1Ks/GS, esp re accommodations.
Would have been tempted to book a room on my own and then take it up with UA CS once stateside. At least to get reimbursed by $cert, close to cash for FFfolks buying UA tix on a regular basis.
Yeah...that is a real shocker from SIN. Knowing a lot of the people/staff there from flying in and out of there 8+ times a year for the last decade, they have always been great at being customer focus/centric handling issues/delays.
Old Oct 26, 2010, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by goingbananas
Yeah...that is a real shocker from SIN. Knowing a lot of the people/staff there from flying in and out of there 8+ times a year for the last decade, they have always been great at being customer focus/centric handling issues/delays.
Maybe all the UA folks go home, once the two morning flights are gone/out of the gate.
Old Oct 31, 2010, 1:09 am

Programs: UA Platinum 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Halloween UA862 HKG-SFO

Late by over 7 hours.

Fortunately uniteds SMS notifications worked for once (usually they don't) and they told me right before I went to bed in Singapore. Called Global Services and they re-routed me thru Tokyo. Even honored my upgrades to First.

Eating Sushi as I write this in the 1st class lounge in Narita. About to sleep across the pacific as others are waiting in Hong Kong....
Old Nov 15, 2010, 3:07 am

Programs: UA 2MM
It's 8 hours before scheduled departure, and UA 895 ORD to HKG on 15 Nov delayed more than an hour because of "aircraft servicing". In the past week, it's been mostly 1-2 hours late.

A friend of mine is a UA mechanic and he said that this flight is usually delayed because that plane is rotated for a maintenance procedure on the engines, which is "supposed" to end about 9:00am if there is absolutely no issues. Any little irregularity that is found will cause the flight to be delayed (or worse). Frustrating when you have a connection in HKG to another carrier.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 9:03 am

Originally Posted by BangkokTraveler
It's 8 hours before scheduled departure, and UA 895 ORD to HKG on 15 Nov delayed more than an hour because of "aircraft servicing". In the past week, it's been mostly 1-2 hours late.

A friend of mine is a UA mechanic and he said that this flight is usually delayed because that plane is rotated for a maintenance procedure on the engines, which is "supposed" to end about 9:00am if there is absolutely no issues. Any little irregularity that is found will cause the flight to be delayed (or worse). Frustrating when you have a connection in HKG to another carrier.
FWIW, N118UA and N178UA are at ORD, presumably for maintenance, while N173UA and N174UA are at PEK under maintenance. That's four aircraft out at the same time, or 16% of the fleet.

664s aircraft is turning to 895 at ORD again today, while 882s inbound aircraft is lined up to protect 973 to SFO. Every time they're forced to do that, they end the day one frame short at Chicago against the next day's program -- unless a plane gets released from the shop.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.