FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileage-plus-pre-merger-504/)
-   -   Consolidated Delayed/Cancelled UA International Flights [Master Thread] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileage-plus-pre-merger/893812-consolidated-delayed-cancelled-ua-international-flights-master-thread.html)

transpac-canuck Nov 29, 2008 12:03 pm

Consolidated Delayed/Cancelled UA International Flights [Master Thread]

Once again, a tired old 744 is sitting at the gate at O'Hare after an exhilerating tour of the airfield with a few hundred happy passengers. Mechanical problems with a generator and a separate problem with something to do with reverse thrust has us back at C16 one hour after scheduled departure.

If you're in Tokyo or are expecting to connect onward from Tokyo on a 744 tomorrow (Sunday), you might be waiting for our equipment to be rehabilitated.

And no, it has no new seats. :)

wxguy Nov 29, 2008 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by transpac-canuck (Post 10830027)
Once again, a tired old 744 is sitting at the gate at O'Hare after an exhilerating tour of the airfield with a few hundred happy passengers. Mechanical problems with a generator and a separate problem with something to do with reverse thrust has us back at C16 one hour after scheduled departure.

If you're in Tokyo or are expecting to connect onward from Tokyo on a 744 tomorrow (Sunday), you might be waiting for our equipment to be rehabilitated.

And no, it has no new seats. :)

Do you mean 881? 891 goes from LAX-NRT. At least UA doesn't need a 747 to go NRT-BKK today, so there's some slack in the system.

transpac-canuck Nov 29, 2008 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by wxguy (Post 10830061)
Do you mean 881? 891 goes from LAX-NRT.

Oops, yes. 881.

The mechanics came on board, reset the system, and now we're refueling because we burned so much kerosene driving around the airstrip. Fun.

Too bad captains aren't authorized to reset systems. Waste of time and fuel.

At least UA doesn't need a 747 to go NRT-BKK today, so there's some slack in the system.
Good point.

kluau88 Dec 4, 2008 3:10 am

Another mechanical ex-NRT 12/4...this time 838

Aboard UA 852 and just received word that our push back time is 7:30 PM as UA 838 to SFO has gone mechanical so now they are moving passengers from 838 to 852.

For those wondering looks like the wi-fi from the ANA lounge works if you're on a plane parked at Gate 38 ^

3-4 bars no less on this MB!

CRAP! Another update now departure time is 8 PM :(

kluau88 Dec 4, 2008 3:30 am

Looks like 838 had a problem with a fuel leak.

kluau88 Dec 4, 2008 3:45 am

Someone just asked for booze!

FA: Sorry we can't open the stuff on the ground.

It's 7:44 PM and nothing has been done with loading additional catering from what i can tell. The 1/2 empty business class cabin is now full.

kluau88 Dec 4, 2008 3:54 am

Jet bridge pushing back. Maybe we make the 8PM time.

abraxis Dec 4, 2008 4:04 am

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5G77 Safari/525.20)

Dunno. The cabin crew and the ground staff seem to be chatting with litle urgency..

Oh yeah, I'm on this flight too.

Thore T Dec 7, 2008 1:42 pm

LHR-IAD-CUN - UA 923 delay into IAD Dec. 7

I was just on the phone with my stepdaughter on her way with a friend from LHR to CUN via IAD. 923 was delayed into IAD due to ATC, and they missed their onward connection to CUN. They have a single itinirary ticket, and even if the connection in IAD was tight, it shows up as legal on the bomb timetable. UA now offers them reticketing for tomorrow morning, but no hotel. I tried to speak with the UA agent, but she plainly refused.

I've had this happen to me several times, and got a hotel with no problem. Is this yet another new practice in the already rather dismal UA customer service? :mad:

mahasamatman Dec 7, 2008 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by transpac-canuck (Post 10830114)
Too bad captains aren't authorized to reset systems.

If it was that simple (and I question whether it was), they probably tried in flight and failed. Some repairs simply cannot be done in flight.

It's better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air than the other way around.

Originally Posted by Thore T (Post 10870792)
I've had this happen to me several times, and got a hotel with no problem.

US will provide hotel for a 1P, but not for a GM (or 2P or 3P for that matter). See http://flyerguide.com/wiki/index.php...EROUTE-AMENITY

chuck1 Dec 7, 2008 8:25 pm

Why is 847 on decision?

Anyone know why 847 IAD-GIG is on a midnight decision?

TA Dec 7, 2008 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by chuck1 (Post 10872290)
Anyone know why 847 IAD-GIG is on a midnight decision?

that would be IAD-EZE, not GIG.

edit: now delayed to 8am.

veezer Dec 8, 2008 9:57 am

If I'm understanding this profile correctly, since the reason was a mechanical, isn't a hotel accomodation provided regardless of status?

nm, I misread and didn't realize the hotel comment was in regards to an ATC delay.

mv1k Dec 9, 2008 6:08 am

UA 803 from IDA to NRT departing 12/7.

Was this flight canceled ?

phlwookie Dec 9, 2008 8:02 am

unitedcargo.com says it left early, unless it actually left 22 hours late and the site doesn't have a way to display that, which seems more likely:

Flight Number: 803 Flight Date: Sunday, Dec 7, 2008
Origin Airport Destination Airport Type of Aircraft Scheduled Departure Time Adjusted Departure Time Scheduled Arrival Time Adjusted Arrival Time Reason for delay
IAD NRT 12:27 10:40 16:40 15:07 OPERATIONS
NRT SIN 17:55 17:53 00:25 00:34 OPERATIONS