Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Delayed/Cancelled UA International Flights [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated Delayed/Cancelled UA International Flights [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2009, 9:00 am

Programs: UA 2.5MM; HH Diamond; Hyatt Platinum; MR Gold
1kwannabe:

I was on that flight, too, in 15A. The plane was late originally because of a problem with the entertainment system at IAD, where they had to reboot the whole system. In part, the delay from NRT to BKK was the result of a problem with one of the cargo doors.

The purser on the flight from IAD to NRT handed out appreciation cards for that delay, and since I was simply happy to make it to BKK without having to overnight at NRT, I am seeking no further compensation. (And probably wouldn't have sought any for the IAD to NRT flight if I hadn't received it without asking.)

As ssh suggests, if you decide to seek compensation, be specific (and realistic) about what you want. It was almost a 3-hour delay, so although you're unlikely to get UA to repay you for the phone call, you might be able to get a %-off coupon for a future flight. Make sure your letter isn't a rant. Also, be concise.
Old Nov 30, 2009, 11:21 am

Programs: nobody
Originally Posted by AMRivlin
Japan RCC desk was 50 deep and at the gate was just as bad.

I did finally ask, as I was walking on board, the gate agent said "we rerouted everyone through the west coast" So I guess UA lucked out, SEA, SFO, LAX, and IAD have light enough loads to take an extra 50-70 passengers.

They said MX on a sign in the RCC, but I am calling BS on that. They could use any 747s coming up from TPE or BKK, and cancel or delay a later flight.

I think they used the plane for something else, if anyone can check for 882 on 11/25, I would be curious
881 was canceled on 11/24 due to electrical problem. The flight departed after 3 hrs delay and had to turn around after an hr in flight. I was on 11/25 flight and had another 3 hrs delay due to UHF radio issue and missing a FO. Lots of grumpy passengers were on the flight. I have to say both the in flight crews and ground crew at ORD were awesome as some of the passengers were less than polite.

The flight to TPE was also delayed for 15 hrs on both 11/24 and 26 (UA alert says due to crew). I called 1K line and they protected me with a CI flight left the same night rather than stuck in NRT overnight. Overall, I have to say UA did a great job handling passenger issues.
Old Dec 3, 2009, 9:12 am

Flight 860 - 12/2/09 GRU-IAD

We left Sao Paulo at three thirty this morning - three hours late.

We had a friendly and nice Captain who repeatedly came out to let us know the status of the delay and repair.

However, (I suppose due to the late hour), I cannot recall ever having such a nasty and grumpy selection of FAs.

Worse yet, United has contracted through Infraero with SCA (a Brazilian company) to handle check-in and gate facilities.

Most of these contract employees were pleasant during the delay of the flight. However, one woman employee was particular disagreeable to passengers and repeatedly used the telephone for nearly two hours on obvious personal telephone calls.

We arrived three hours late and I missed my connetion to LAX.

I used the new Global Entry system upon arrival. It worked great.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Dec 3, 2009 at 11:20 am Reason: correction made
Old Dec 3, 2009, 10:00 am

Programs: United 1P. 880k lifetime miles, all on my own dime.
Just curious if you have considered the Delta or Korean non-stops? (LAX-GRU)
Old Dec 3, 2009, 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by ORDSteve
Originally Posted by ORDSteve
Actually, I have used both carriers recently for the non stop between LAX and GRU.

Korean was great. Delta was okay but the boarding process in GRU was a total zoo and unpleasant considering the new contract employees used by United, Delta and a few other carriers.

I would continue to use Korean and Delta but I am near my million miles on United and want to reach that point before I leave them for an airline that has non stop routes to destinations I visit.
Old Dec 3, 2009, 8:30 pm

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
IAD-DXB 12/3 delay

Not my night.

1. Entire first and business class checked in full and who was left #1 on the UG list with a SWU for the last couple months WL?

2. Lining up to board with 1k's to get overhead bin space and we are now delayed at least 30 minutes maybe more for some mechanical problem.

I'm sure someone else out there has to be on this flight as it is totally full. Unusual as I have never been on one this full of the 5-6 RT I have been on in the last 6 months.
Old Dec 3, 2009, 9:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K, LH Oil & Energy Club
that sucks, the only time I was on DXB-IAD and it was completely full was the day before thanksgiving last year... have a good trip back to the sand box...
Old Dec 3, 2009, 9:40 pm

1 hour delay with no announced departure time yet. Hope to get out of here tonight at this point. Have to connect to Gulf air at 10 pm which will be tight. They have a midnight flight as well dxb-bah thus I have some cushion, hopefully be able to get on.
Old Dec 4, 2009, 12:32 am

Programs: UA *G MM, DL, EK, ICH Plat
We were delayed an hour and a half on 882 from Narita to ORD on Wednesday. Most people missed their connections, including me. While taxiing, Ch 9 was abruptly shut off. We then went to the end of the runway and turned around to a taxiway. The issue was a "generator", and the pilot said they had to contact SFO for directives. Then went back to a gate. Problem was fixed in about 45 minutes, but we lost our take-off slot. Waited another 40 minutes before we could take off. I'm not quite sure why they didn't know about a generator problem before push-back.

Was pro-actively given 9000 miles in my account within 24 hours and an apology email from customer relations. I wish it had been more as they couldn't seem to get my suitcase from that flight to a later DTW flight in 3.5 hours! This all made for a 28 hour day from BKK.

Ch 9 was turned back on for the flight.
Old Dec 4, 2009, 4:45 pm

OK well the IAD-DXB ended up taking off 3 hours late roughly at 2 am and ended up landing 3 hours late just before midnight.

I and many others are at the airport hotel right now. Not sure what the mechanical issue was but we ended up making it safe and sound.
Old Dec 5, 2009, 6:44 pm

Programs: A3 *G, BA silver, LH, UA
SEA-NRT 5/Dec postponed to 6/Dec

Hi everybody,

After we boarded a 100% full 777 (in a very messy manner), we were taken off due to fuel tank issues (I always find the concept of mechanical problems in SEA on board of Boeing planes a bit funny). "Luckily" we had some deportee aboard the plane, so after 30 minutes in the plane before the decision to cancel the flight was taken, we got stuck another 20 minutes for real police to "accept" the lucky one.

Anyhow, new flight time - tomorrow at 11:00a.m. (and the expected arrival time at NRT only two hours after the first option of flying to TPE with BR, and then to NRT).

Compensation - a night in a shady Holiday-Inn & 15 $ for food.

Am I missing something?

Should I ask for more compensation?

(I'm LH*G).

Thanks!
Old Dec 5, 2009, 7:09 pm
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
You most certainly should get something for the mechanical delay.

If you had a mileage plus number in your reservation, I would expect you to get an email with an option to choose a compensation "gift". If you do not, you should sent an email to United.
Old Dec 5, 2009, 7:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by wharvey
You most certainly should get something for the mechanical delay.

If you had a mileage plus number in your reservation, I would expect you to get an email with an option to choose a compensation "gift". If you do not, you should sent an email to United.
+1

or there is a slight chance they will give the passengers skykits tomorrow.

Well, except for the "deportee"
Old Dec 5, 2009, 7:11 pm

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
Originally Posted by mkilmo
Compensation - a night in a shady Holiday-Inn & 15 $ for food.

Am I missing something?

Should I ask for more compensation?

(I'm LH*G).

Thanks!
{Bolding mine} Nearly all of the hotels near/in Sea-Tac are as you put, 'shady'. Best one I've stayed at is the Holiday-Inn Express south on 99 a bit, but the Holiday Inn, while 'refreshed' is about par for the hotel airports. Mostly rennovated, older properties. You have to go either downtown, Renton, or Bellevue to get to some nicer properties.
Old Dec 6, 2009, 1:16 am

Programs: DL Diamond, ANA Platinum
Is it just me or has this route been cancelled a lot lately?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.