Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

2009 MP Changes - UA Restores 500 Mile Min for Elites and New Award Redemption Rules

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2009 MP Changes - UA Restores 500 Mile Min for Elites and New Award Redemption Rules

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2008, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PanHam
I'm interested to see how UA's BFF, Lufthansa, will react to these changes.
TATL EU-N.A., LH M&L offers a C-class award for 90'000 miles, whereas upgrades are a whopping 50'000 miles each way.
Old Nov 3, 2008, 2:35 pm

Programs: riding the lifetime status. DL MM / AA MM
hate to say it, but none of this is shocking, and it leaves UA in line to better than their US-based competition..

Originally Posted by cesco.g
Interesting, tom911. There seems to be only that one Q-fare class, that is ineligible. Q itself did not show up on a couple of TATL & TPAC fare checks I did on AA fares.
yeah, the prohibition on O and intercontinental Q at AA is generally not a problem -- those are true bargain basement fares, and not generally available in most markets. UA's restriction is worse..
Old Nov 3, 2008, 2:35 pm

Programs: RVT 1K
Unless something changed the Saver awards apply to UA flights and Staralliance partner awards.
So members from other programs will still be able to get awards at the current level?

I can not believe they jacked up the C savers to Europe so much...disgusting.
Old Nov 3, 2008, 2:36 pm

Programs: GGL, UA 1MM
Originally Posted by livitup
Hmm... Copays are for Economy to Biz/First, but what about copays from C/D to F???
FAQ say you won't have to copay for C to F. So only point of buying C is to upgrade to F now?
Old Nov 3, 2008, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by livitup
Hmm... Copays are for Economy to Biz/First, but what about copays from C/D to F???
No copays there.
Old Nov 3, 2008, 2:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Do I understand correctly... the co-pay system is a little more in line with CO's upgrade policy?

Also, just my gut..... but I think *A upgrades might come back too.

Finally, not addressed... but can you upgrade a Z when this takes effect?
Old Nov 3, 2008, 2:38 pm

Does AA not exempt Plat members from all their copay crap? And, correct me if I am wrong (wishful thinking), 1Ks will not be exempt from fees from UA's new upgrade donkey show?
Old Nov 3, 2008, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RS250Racer
So members from other programs will still be able to get awards at the current level?

I can not believe they jacked up the C savers to Europe so much...disgusting.
Unless I misunderstand you question: Members from other programs will not be directly affected by changes ar MP, as they will pay according to the redemption chart on their program for an award flight on another star alliance airline (UA in this case).

Agree with you on the C- (and F) levels to Europe. Suxxs!
Old Nov 3, 2008, 2:41 pm
In memoriam

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Starwood Platinum, a nothing in several others
Unless something changed the Saver awards apply to UA flights and Staralliance partner awards.
Looks like there are changes *A awards also but I don't see a new *A award chart yet.
Old Nov 3, 2008, 2:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by gfowler-ord-1k
Looks like there are changes *A awards also but I don't see a new *A award chart yet.
Follow the link to the PDF at the top of the page.
Old Nov 3, 2008, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jhayes_1780
Finally, not addressed... but can you upgrade a Z when this takes effect?
The new chart shows C,D only. Seems like current no Z-upgrade policy stays in place.
Old Nov 3, 2008, 2:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by gfowler-ord-1k
its at the top of that page: http://www.united.com/ual/asset/saver_space_chart.pdf
Old Nov 3, 2008, 2:46 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
I'm not sure how I feel about these changes. As a lowly 2P, I'd have to think that the bulk of these changes are to my benefit.

First of all, major kudos to UA on the return of the 500-mile minimums for elites, and for applying them retroactively. Now I have some major reserarch to do to see how much closer this will put me to 1P status. This almost makes putting up with all of those Mesa flights over the last few months worth it! ^

I also like the fact that you can now upgrade from any economy-class fare when travelling internationally. How much it pained me to be in Y on my last TATL flight without the ability to upgrade in any way, shape, or form, thanks to an S-fare and no UFC offer due to very-full-C-cabin.

It strikes me that upgrade award to Hawaii will suddenly become VERY expensive, too.

This certainly also makes me think that it is a much better value now to use, even pay for, if necessary, e-500's at our reduced price, versus using miles and the new co-pay to upgrade. I no-longer forsee a reason to upgrade with miles domestically as opposed to using e-500's. Anybody agree/disagree? Thoughts?

I think that we will all have some collective brain-storming to do over the next few months as to what is the new best value/s for redemption, and for whom.

Obviously, the new award redemption levels, especially for premium travel, hurt, but I can't say that I'm surprised, nor really as angry as others here seem to be. Times are changing, and UA needs to make money; this seems like a good way to do that, without further cutting services.

Finally, just to confirm, I am about to book a ticket to Hawaii for departure New Years Day. If I book it now, and request an upgrade w/ miles now, I won't have to pay the co-pay, correct, as that doesn't start until July 1, 2009? I just want to confirm before hitting the "purchase" button.
Old Nov 3, 2008, 2:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, HHonors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite
"Beginning July 1, 2009, co-pay will be collected when a United mileage upgrade is requested. United upgrade awards requested prior to the effective date for travel after the effective date will not require a co-pay."

So does this mean that if you request an upgrade on June 30th, 2009 for a flight up to 330 days out, you will still not have to make a co-pay?
Old Nov 3, 2008, 2:49 pm

Programs: Lots
Again, a classic United move - Take something away, bring it back as an "enhancement" and simultaneously gut something else.

Memo to United: Your C and F cabins and service still suck. This is a move you can make *after* making them worthwhile to pay for. They're certainly not worth it right now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.