Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

2009 MP Changes - UA Restores 500 Mile Min for Elites and New Award Redemption Rules

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2009 MP Changes - UA Restores 500 Mile Min for Elites and New Award Redemption Rules

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2009, 9:21 am

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by stanfordhokie
Prior to UA's mammoth increase in award redemption rates, I booked two international C award tickets for travel later this month.

What, if anything, am I able to change without being subject to today's new higher redemption rates?

No need to change dates to travel, but can I change the routing and carriers without needing more miles? What about changing to an F award - what is my incremental mileage difference? Old C rate to old F rate, or old C rate to new F rate?
You should be able to change everything except the region of origin, region of destination, and class of service.
Old Jun 9, 2009, 4:32 pm

Programs: Some good, some bad
Originally Posted by bmvaughn
You should be able to change everything except the region of origin, region of destination, and class of service.
A change in class of service would be brilliant, but I'll just have to live with changing the routing and carriers.

Thanks for the info. ^
Old Jul 15, 2009, 8:30 pm

Programs: UA MM, QF Plat, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by bmvaughn
So here's the issue I'm running into. I booked 2 C and 1 F class ORD-Asia awards that I haven't had the chance to use yet. Unfortunately, I'm now running into the problem of not being able to use them until early next year and am being told the ticket is only valid one year from the date of ticketing, which is 12/31/08 in my case. Any suggestions on how to get around these rules or force a ticket re-issuing to extend the validity?
Old Jul 15, 2009, 8:38 pm

If you're a 1k you should be able to reissue the ticket without the fee. award fees are wavied for 1ks so you could just have the miles returned to your account and then reticket the itinerary.

that being said, just make sure you'd be able to get the flghts you want before you cancel.
Old Jul 15, 2009, 9:09 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by raptor288
If you're a 1k you should be able to reissue the ticket without the fee. award fees are wavied for 1ks so you could just have the miles returned to your account and then reticket the itinerary....
but of course the new tickets would require the higher mileage levels (which is what I suspect bschaff1 was trying to aviod).
Old Jul 29, 2009, 10:24 am

Programs: UA MM, QF Plat, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
but of course the new tickets would require the higher mileage levels (which is what I suspect bschaff1 was trying to aviod).
Exactly what I'm trying to avoid. However I may have to bit the bullet and just cancel the two awards I am still sitting on. I thought there was a way to trigger a reissue or exchange that would keep the mileage the same, but can't find any way to do it.
Old Jul 29, 2009, 11:53 am
Original Poster

I have exchange many tickets for the same mileage level: the "region" should stay the same. However, tickets are only valid for 1 year after they are originally issued. Exchanging does not extend the validity.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.