Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

2009 MP Changes - UA Restores 500 Mile Min for Elites and New Award Redemption Rules

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2009 MP Changes - UA Restores 500 Mile Min for Elites and New Award Redemption Rules

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2008, 1:12 pm
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by jason8612
Co-pay will not be assessed on Lufthansa paper upgrades, Systemwide Upgrades, Confirmed Regional Upgrades or 500-Mile E-Upgrades.
http://www.united.com/page/article/0...prgterms#jump3
Works for me...Just makes my SWUs even more valuable, and my need to maintain 1K that much greater. I haven't used miles to upgrade in a long time...But makes me wonder what this will do to C/F inventories--with the reduced mileage requirements but sharp fees, will this make C or F in greater demand or lesser?

Wow, I'm going to get an additional 4000 EQMs/8000 miles that I'd previously 'lost', now that we'll get retroactive credit. Makes me glad I tagged along with my wife when she segment-ran to get down to Virginia last month!
Old Nov 3, 2008, 1:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Well the co-pay thing can either suck or be OK. I guess on the plus side you can now upgrade any econ fare to business but it looks like the co-pay is higher. the suck side is every upgrade type has one, even domestic so this will make CR1's all the more valuable as using 15K miles to confirm an upgrade for a transcon or HI flight will no cost $50 ea way.
Old Nov 3, 2008, 1:14 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
There are some very large increases in premuim award redepmtion levels.

From the US to

Europe: 55/105/135
South Asia: 65/125/145
OZ/NZ: 80/135/160

These are in many cases substantial increases.
Old Nov 3, 2008, 1:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, BA Gold, SQ TPP
Co-pay will not be assessed on Lufthansa paper upgrades, Systemwide Upgrades, Confirmed Regional Upgrades or 500-Mile E-Upgrades.
http://www.united.com/page/article/0...prgterms#jump3
Now that makes for an interesting choice. Fly LH on H and above and avoid a co-pay, or fly UA on cheapest Y fare and do a co-pay ...
Old Nov 3, 2008, 1:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
Suggested change for the title of this thread. UA Restores 500 Mile Min for Elites + Other Award Changes.
Old Nov 3, 2008, 1:19 pm
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
If I have to pay 20K miles AND up to $400 co-pay to upgrade a B fare, I will really reconsider switching. All UA did was give back 500 mile min but took from us a lot more miles for awards and now money for upgrades. :grr: and I have a hunch they will calculate them by the change fee related to the ticket.
Old Nov 3, 2008, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by ryan182
Well the co-pay thing can either suck or be OK. I guess on the plus side you can now upgrade any econ fare to business but it looks like the co-pay is higher. the suck side is every upgrade type has one, even domestic so this will make CR1's all the more valuable as using 15K miles to confirm an upgrade for a transcon or HI flight will no cost $50 ea way.
Why would people buy M/H fares?

Just buy cheapest S/L/K (the fare difference should more than offset the co-pay, besides, you pay less miles).
Old Nov 3, 2008, 1:24 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
If I have to pay 20K miles AND up to $400 co-pay to upgrade a B fare, I will really reconsider switching. All UA did was give back 500 mile min but took from us a lot more miles for awards and now money for upgrades. :grr:
I tend to agree, but it depends on your priorities.

For the small number of elites who hit their status thresholds on the basis of the 500 EQM minimums, I suppose this is good news. It's certainly bad news for GMs who have no way to upgrade other than by RDMs, and it's definitely bad news for those who like to redem premium *A awards.
Old Nov 3, 2008, 1:26 pm

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by iceman77_7
If you read it carefully, they are applying the 500 mile minimum to elites retroactively so it's like it never went away!

"And, this policy change will be applied retroactively to United flights flown between July 1, 2008, and December 31, 2008. By the end of this year, we will update the flights flown as an elite member during that time. The update will apply the 500-mile minimum (for redeemable miles and Elite Qualifying Miles) and will adjust any class-of-service bonuses, elite bonuses and promotional bonuses."
If this is indeed the case, it has to rank with some of the stupidest things United has ever done -- first getting rid of the min, and then restoring it retroactively! Why bother to make it retroactive? The decisions pax made are already a fait accompli! Nothing can be changed. Those who opted to fly WN intra-CA already did so! United is not going to get their money now -- it's too late! Sure, it definitely makes sense to reinstate the min, but it's hard to imagine what they gain (other than karma) by fixing the past.

Yes, I'm thrilled that 500-mins are coming back, but I have a hard time seeing the rationale behind the way they make their business decisions. Indeed, this should be in its own thread.
Old Nov 3, 2008, 1:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Hmm. It appears that this is actually a good deal for some miles-based upgraders. If I read correctly, you can now do a miles upgrade with a co-pay from *any* fare basis. So no more having to buy an H-fare to upgrade with miles (as I currently do once a year for three of us since I only have enough SWUs for one trip a year!). In most cases, that H-fare is around $300 or more extra per person over the cheapest available fare, so for my personal travel patterns the net result will be a small mile saving on those upgrades.

If I can get the upgrades at all, a year from now, that is!
Old Nov 3, 2008, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Originally Posted by hobo13
If this is indeed the case, it has to rank with some of the stupidest things United has ever done -- first getting rid of the min, and then restoring it retroactively! Why bother to make it retroactive? The decisions pax made are already a fait accompli! Nothing can be changed. Those who opted to fly WN intra-CA already did so! United is not going to get their money now -- it's too late! Sure, it definitely makes sense to reinstate the min, but it's hard to imagine what they gain (other than karma) by fixing the past.

Yes, I'm thrilled that 500-mins are coming back, but I have a hard time seeing the rationale behind the way they make their business decisions. Indeed, this should be in its own thread.
What makes it a bit frustrating is that the retroactive miles may not post until Dec 31. I'm not sure if I will reach 150K by then!
Old Nov 3, 2008, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
The upgrade war will intensify next year when any GM can upgrade by buying cheapest fare, spending some miles and presenting a credit card for co-pay.
Old Nov 3, 2008, 1:36 pm
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
Now that they want 40% more miles for my Business class ticket to SE Asia, I HOPE THEY FINALLY RELEASE SOME SEATS!
Old Nov 3, 2008, 1:37 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by hobo13

Yes, I'm thrilled that 500-mins are coming back, but I have a hard time seeing the rationale behind the way they make their business decisions.
I'm puzzled here too. I don't see the reason behind retroactively restoring the 500 mile minimum. But I'm not complaining, considering RNO-SFO is 192 miles.
Old Nov 3, 2008, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Standard awards are up too!!!

N.A. - EU: old 100/180/220 > new 110 / 210 / 270
N.A. - Asia: old 120/200/240 > new 130 / 250 / 290

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.