Wiki Posts
Search

E-Fares-not always the best deal !

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 1999, 11:03 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

E-Fares-not always the best deal !

I was looking for a decent fare to JFK from LAX this fall. United Internet "special" fare was over $500.00 while the 14 day advance was $368.00. How can this be?
Old Sep 20, 1999, 1:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

mpclaw, I think you were looking at the current "special LAX e-fares" which I think are a joke. This last weekend there was a regular e-fare LAX-JFT of $249! Also I have found (but not very often) when a International e-fare is announced, I sometimes find a lower fare through the regular reservation system.
Old Sep 20, 1999, 1:09 pm

Location: DEN, UA PE, Hilton Gold, ** Reactivate Delete Feature**
I can't figure what's up with that LAX so-called sale. It's one thing when they come up with those sales where the e-fare prices are $10 less than standard, but it's just weird to declare a sale with higher than normal prices.

As a side note, the weekly e-fares are usually a pretty good deal (at least from Denver). Of course, if you've got last minute travel over the weekend and they've got an e-fare for it, it's a great deal over buying full Y It seems to be their longer term e-fare specials that aren't alwasy so special. [Like the current LAX fares. (You've gotta wonder if it's a misprint)]
Old Sep 20, 1999, 3:11 pm

Programs: Lots
I was wondering the same thing, mpclaw. The only conclusion I can come to is that the E-Fares don't require a 14 day advance purchase, so that might be convenient vs the full Y.
Old Sep 23, 1999, 8:38 am

Programs: UA MM-1P, Hilton Life Diamond, Marriot Life Gold, ICH Spire
To make this even more nutty, the currently posted e-fares from NYC to London are $201 cheaper than the e-fares from NYC to LAX.
Old Sep 23, 1999, 2:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat, Hertz P Circle
Yes, but you're not limited to the Saturday/Monday trip. There are lots more days to choose from, and 7 or 14 day advanced purchase is not required.

I think the LAX e-fare sale is largely misunderstood. If you have the luxury, take the advanced purchase fare, but if you're going last minute, it makes for a pretty good deal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.