Wiki Posts
Search

What happened to the checkin kiosks?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 1999, 5:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat, Hertz P Circle
What happened to the checkin kiosks?

I seem to remember using electronic checkin kiosks at terminal 8 (Shuttle) in LAX a few years ago ('95 I think). I would slide the credit card and it retrieves the e-ticket purchased. I can select seating, and it'll print out a boarding pass. Upon boarding, I would have to show my ID.

Reading about the kiosks for Alaska brought back this memory. Does anyone else remember? Has anyone else used them? Why did they disappear? Will they be coming back? Has this been discussed before?

I'm in an inquisitive mood...
Old Sep 21, 1999, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
SFO used to have them too. I just actually noticed they were gone a few weeks ago, although I think they have been gone for a long time. Perhaps issues arose after security questions and positive photo id match became regular checkin matters.
Old Sep 21, 1999, 6:33 pm
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Seems UA feels that the "chariots" are a big step forward and will do the trick- coupled with providing a separate checkin for 1k, PremEx and FC pax boarding the United Shuttle.
Old Sep 21, 1999, 8:49 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
The SFO check-in gizmos have been gone for ages, since before the remodel. I miss the 250 EZ bonus miles, too.
Old Sep 21, 1999, 8:56 pm
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
Maybe these are what AC is using in Toronto now We get your old technology and the 250 miles!
Old Sep 21, 1999, 9:27 pm
Original Poster

Does it seem strange to anyone else that UA was one of the pioneers (at least a few years ahead of Alaska and Air Canada) for this technology, but pulls it out when other airlines are starting to field it?

I found it rather convenient, and the ID thing was still in effect since I had to show ID when I board. If they are worried about the useless security questions, why not include checkboxes on the screen? Other than that, I can't fathom why they're gone.
Old Sep 21, 1999, 10:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: Ephesians 4:31-32
Alaska does include the obligatory useless security questions at the kiosk.

I am a big Kiosk fan. It dramatically speeds up my check-in process AND adds an additonal 500 points to my account each time we visit. "Hi machine, Hi Punki!" We are old friends now.
Old Sep 22, 1999, 7:13 am
Original Member

Pioneer??? I remember using them in the mid 80s on Southwest--big stainless steel machines that automatically printed out a drinks coupon. I'd bet they had them for a long time prior to that.
Old Sep 22, 1999, 8:05 am
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP - UA *G MM - HH Diamond - Hertz PC
How about in the 70's on good old PSA?

USAir sure knew how to (or quickly figured out how to)ruin a good thing.
Old Sep 22, 1999, 12:23 pm
Original Poster

Really? That far back? They didn't even have jetways at most airports in the mid-80s!

Does WN still have them at LAX, SFO or SJC? My girlfriend visits me via WN, and we never noticed the machines, might be worth a try!
Old Sep 22, 1999, 2:23 pm
Commander Catcop

I hope U-A responds to Matt's very well written FOUR PAWS UP letter before they decide to install check-in kiosks at the major airports.

Now CO has managed to get those check-in machines at EWR and other airports I assume (including JAWS big airfield in the corn in HOU)

WHY CAN"T U-A?

And You don't have to say anything MWeiss. I know exactly what you and my other CO friends will say.

Old Sep 22, 1999, 4:43 pm
Original Member

Programs: OnePass
WN retired the "Quicket" machines last year. Online booking over the web killed the machines.

------------------
AlphaSigOU
Causa latet vis est notissima - the cause is hidden, the results are well-known.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.