Wiki Posts
Search

2,500 Mile Delay Gift From United

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 1999, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

2,500 Mile Delay Gift From United

Today Wingless got a letter from James Goodwin of United. A form letter stating that there have been many delays at Chicago due to renovations required by the ATC. Notes that she recently went through ORD and apoligies if there were any delays (I don't recall any).

As an acknowledgement of their pledge to improve service, they are crediting her account with 2,500 miles which also count towards Premier qualification!

Yipee and great customer service United! But...where's my letter? I was on the same flights as she was on! Maybe tomorrow.

Anybody else get this letter?
Old Aug 11, 1999, 4:45 pm

I am Premier and just received the same letter for 2,500. I am quite excited because this will help me get to the PREMEX level quicker. Being in Chicago I find that it is difficult to qualify as most of my flights are non-stop to the east coast. Roughly 7-800 miles each way.
Old Aug 11, 1999, 5:42 pm
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
I find it interesting that United gives a perk to those who suffered delays allegedly caused by ATC, but does nothing when they're to blame. Maybe I'm overly sensitive to this right now as the last four United flights I was on all had two-hour-plus delays due to planes not being there on time, breakdowns, etc. One of the flights out of IAD we waited for an hour for repairs, then boarded only to be told after sitting for an hour that the plane still wasn't ready so we needed to deplane. An hour later we got back on and finally left three hours late.

United is trying to see ATC privatized completely. Somehow I think trying to make their customers conscious of alleged ATC delays plays into this, in my humble opinion.
Old Aug 11, 1999, 5:52 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA Platinum, AS, UA, DL, HHonors Gold, Marriott LTP, Hyatt, IHG Platinum
You gotta be kidding? I put up with nonsense like sitting on a broken 747 at the gate at IAD for over an hour and a half. First a seat was broken, then the audio didn't work, then the AC had a problem. Missed a connection to YYC (the last one of the day on any airline) and had to overnight in DEN. Did I get anything for this? No. UA had better get its act together!
Old Aug 11, 1999, 6:04 pm
Original Member

Programs: Delta
Hmm, I wonder if United will compensate in any way other star silver/ gold members who were on that flight?
Old Aug 11, 1999, 6:22 pm
pgupta011

My biggest complaint about United is how often they are late. I haven't received anything from them automatically, but I've written to them a couple of times (in about 2 years) and I have received some certificates (the latest one is a $100 discount certificate good on any published fare). If you had a bad experience, you should write to them about it.

[This message has been edited by pgupta011 (edited 08-11-1999).]

Old Aug 11, 1999, 7:01 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
I would definately recommend writing to them. Initially, I didn't think it would make much of a difference, but they've actually sent certificates each time. Granted, they were accompanied by form letters, but personally, I think it's really effective. If you say, "I'm never going to fly UA again, and I'm writing them a letter of complaint," and then get a $100 voucher in the mail..... well, I think most people would be inclined to use it and fly them again.
Old Aug 11, 1999, 7:51 pm
In Memoriam, Original Member

About 3 weeks ago when I was changing flights in the 1K center at ORD the agent handed me voucher for $100 for "our recent delays at O'hare". Nice to see UA really steping up to plate on a lot of issues in the past few weeks.

Keep up the good work UA! Now, about those statements...
Old Aug 12, 1999, 5:46 am
Original Member

I just received this letter too (yesterday) dated 8/6/99 but the 2500 mile bonus has no posted yet.

I had about 8 United flights in & out of ORD over a couple days in July but there were no horrible delays. American however was another story....out of 2 ORD flights, one was 3 hours late and the other cancelled..I also received a form letter from American but there was no offer of bonus miles or anything else (and it was really deserved after THEIR horrible service).
Old Aug 12, 1999, 12:22 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA MM Gold, Marriott LT Titanium
I received a letter from Mr. Goodwin in June apologizing for flight delays that were partially UA's fault and partially weather related. My favorite one was the 3.5 hr BWI-ORD flight.

I did not get 2500 miles but I appreciated the letter.
Old Aug 12, 1999, 1:43 pm
Commander Catcop

I did not get a letter. I did not get the miles.

But I was delayed at ORD recently because of a sick airplane.

It's not a problem... But my account does seem like it has a few bonus miles in it I can't recall.

I need to do the math, which requires a weekend to do!
Old Aug 12, 1999, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Well I did today get my letter and 2,500 miles from United. Thank You United! It is nice when they do send something without having to, but I do agree with you all that when it's an airline's specific fault for prolonged delays etc. some sort of compensation should be given.

In the mean time keep writing those letters when you feel United or any airline has failed in fullfilling their obligations to you. I guess sometimes the greasy wheel it has to be.
Old Aug 12, 1999, 5:14 pm

my wife got her 2,500 mile letter today...she's not a PE or 1K, just Premier.

[This message has been edited by shadow (edited 08-13-1999).]
Old Aug 12, 1999, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just got my 2500 mile letter today. Thank you United. And it's great that it counts towards elite status too.
Old Aug 12, 1999, 6:49 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA Platinum, AS, UA, DL, HHonors Gold, Marriott LTP, Hyatt, IHG Platinum
I'm really getting quite annoyed here! I'm PremEx (2500 miles to go to 1K incidentally) and flew through ORD almost every week from early March through the end of June with another roundtrip through ORD in mid-July. One of these was a 13 hour trip from YVR to IAD due to, yes you got it, huge weather and ATC delays at ORD. Have not received any letters or miles. When were all of these ATC delays supposed to have occurred?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.