Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Complaint - somewhat standard reply.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 1999, 9:11 pm

bryan, I think you had too much vacation...what did you do after the PHL meet? Just kidding!

Not to take anything away from your question - response, but "heteronormative" and "homophobia" are 2 words I never expected to encounter here. I respect you for having the 'stones' to ask the question, though.

Old Sep 8, 1999, 10:30 pm

Programs: UA MM-1P, Hilton Life Diamond, Marriot Life Gold, ICH Spire
It's also equally possible, IMHO, that he was travelling with his business partner.

I'll be back in a few minutes after I get my mask and snorkel.

[This message has been edited by RichG (edited 09-08-1999).]
Old Sep 9, 1999, 1:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Jeepers Bryan! You gotta watch that caffine!
Old Sep 9, 1999, 9:11 am
bryan at webflyer

PremEx: If you only knew how right you are...

RichG: you know, I did think of that. For some reason I thought the letter would have said "business partner" if it were business partner, because if SF1K was treated that way in front of a business associate, it's worth saying. I would think United would be (marginally) more upset at the prospect of a passenger being insulted in front of a business associate than in front a husband or wife or partner--or anyone else whose opinion of you doesn't matter anymore .

Sorry to be such a speculating fool, SF1K. But I AM curious. At one time in my life, I was going to write a dissertaion on discourse theory. That's my excuse.

Old Sep 9, 1999, 10:21 am

Bryan and for the rest of you out there. I too use the word partner. Next time you pick up USAToday and read Craig Wilson (I think I have his name right), you will see he uses partner too. It does jump out. Hopefully one day the term will be more the norm. In the meantime, when I fly American I have never had a problem. Domestic partners can even join the Admirals Club at the spouse rate.
Old Sep 9, 1999, 10:44 am
Suspended

Programs: Ephesians 4:31-32
My children are in their early twenties and both attended a vary (that was a typo but appropriate enough to be left in place) liberal State College here in Washington. I notice that they, and all of their friends, have adopted the practice of referring to all couples in committed relationships as partners, whether they be homosexual or heterosexual.

It is their way of saying that it simply doesn't matter and I guess it works as I have become so used to the word "partner" that it no longer raises any questions in my mind. I am, however, one of those odd seniors who is quite happy to let people work out the personal details of their lives without the benefit of my wise opinion. I even extend this courtesy to Bill, Hillary and whoever else on this earth decides to make choices different than mine.

[This message has been edited by Punki (edited 09-09-1999).]
Old Sep 9, 1999, 11:18 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in HERNDON, VA USA
I've got two words that my partner prefers that I use when refering to her:
Boss and/or Ma'am
Old Sep 9, 1999, 11:31 am
Suspended

Like I said Matt,I am perfectly happy to let others work out the details of their personal lives without my wise opinion, but having said that, I might add, "Right On Annie!!!!" A woman after my own heart.

Old Sep 9, 1999, 12:12 pm
In Memoriam

Punki - Greeners!!
Old Sep 9, 1999, 2:46 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA MM *G. Continental *G
The detectives on Law & Order and NYPD Blue also always use "partner" to refer to the other member of the team.
Old Sep 9, 1999, 7:33 pm
Commander Catcop

It should be irrelevant who anyone is traveling with. All flyers should be seen through the same set of eyes: they are to be respected and assisted when necessary.

The Major issue is is that if you and your partner are NOT getting the best service possible and are being treated poorly then that's a major issue and U-A should be ashamed and correct that situation immediately.

See, I see everyone as individuals. We all live in our own little worlds with our own little quirks. (LIKE THERE ARE PEOPLE WHO THINK I'M CRAZY FOR CARRYING PICTURES OF MY CATS AROUND.) I judge everyone as individual by the quality of their character and the goodness of their soul. Everything else to me is irrelvent.

And if you are lucky to find someone special then I admire that person even more. Like you SF1K. You are lucky.

And that's the way the Cat see it.

(And NO I HAVE NOT BEEN DRINKING SAM ADAMS. I'M OUT OF EVERYTHING BUT THE CAT'S POLAND SPRING WATER)

[This message has been edited by Catman (edited 09-09-1999).]
Old Sep 9, 1999, 10:52 pm
Suspended

Catman, are they 8"x10" pictures in gold frames?
Old Sep 10, 1999, 6:27 am
Original Member

Programs: CO Gold, AA Gold, HH Diamond, IC Plat Ambassador
SF1K -- it is a canned email response. I have the same verbage from them on a complaint I sent almost a year ago (Nov 98). Also received two $100 vouchers a couple of weeks after the email.

I know we all get busy and tend to push service issues (good and bad) onto the back burner. Today is both my Monday and my Friday in the ofice but my To Do list already has a couple of entries to send complement letters out for superior service experienced over the last week's travels.

I may tend to delay complementary letters a bit, but we ALL need to voice reasonable complaints in a timely fashion. I wonder how many other people this "purser" PO'd that day and in all the days since?
Old Sep 10, 1999, 8:45 am

I also use the term partner because there is no other word in the English language that seems appropriate to describe someone who has shared over 18 years of life with me. Lover focuses on one small portion of that life. Husband/wife is used to define a legal
relationship that is not available. I did encounter a word in Italy which seems to fit the bill. "Conviviente" refers to someone with whom one lives and shares a deeper relationship than roommate,and
more dimensional than lover.

[This message has been edited by erdoc (edited 09-14-1999).]
Old Sep 12, 1999, 1:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriot LT Titanium, UA 2.4MM, HH Gold, AS MVPG
Well, I've been out of town and my laptop was not working well for me. But, I finally get to respond.

Partner indeed refers to my "life-partner" or the man with whom I've shared the last five years of my life and hope to share many more.

By the way I have to say I am impressed with AA for offering spousal membership in the Admirals Club - that is one reason I have not joined the RCC. But then AA has been more progressive in this then UA.

Maybe things will change a little with the UA/San Francisco lawsuit. We'll see...I won't hold my breath.

Anyway, sometimes one also gets better service. Although I hate to generalize there are a lot of gay male FAs. Just recently my partner and I both received a bottle of wine on a short hop from IAD-LGA.

Maybe they know that sometimes homosexual couples are discriminated against by UA employees so they wanted to make us feel even more special on this particular trip.

Although my intention was not to understate this in my letter to UA. It may have come out (no pun intended) without me realizing it. I do think that may have had something to do with the way I was treated that day.

The other often discriminatory thing UA does is age - which could have been the other reason that day. I happen to be lucky/unlucky and look even younger then my 27 years (at least that is what people usually say ). I often get dirty looks for checking in at the First class line, or being in first. Often they "double-check" to make sure that I am in the right seat. And you can always see the surprise on the FA's face when they come to take the 1K meal orders - I've often been asked if I've switched seats with someone, since I am obviously too young to be a 1K.

In college I worked at Nordstrom and I learned NEVER to judge people by anything. Especially by age and how they dress. Some of my best customers were "younger" and often not "dressed up to go shopping", they had nothing to prove. And they appreciated that I did not judge them. Maybe UA needs to put this in their training program.

[This message has been edited by SF1K (edited 09-12-1999).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.