Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

United Airlines Eliminates Expiration of Mileage Plus Miles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 1999, 9:47 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond

Tuesday August 10, 11:14 am Eastern Time

Company Press Release

SOURCE: United Airlines

1998 Expired Miles Offered Back to Members

CHICAGO, Aug. 10 /PRNewswire/ -- United Airlines today announced that Mileage Plus members' frequent flyer miles will no longer expire, provided the members earn or redeem miles at least once every 36 months. In addition, United will reinstate 1998 expired miles to members who register and take either two paid domestic roundtrips or one paid international roundtrip on flights operated by United, United Shuttle or United Express.

``By eliminating the expiration of Mileage Plus miles and offering back 1998 expired miles, we are pleased to address the needs of our valued customers,'' said Graham Atkinson, United Airlines Senior Vice-President, Marketing. ``Last year was the first time miles in members' account banks were subject to expiration; however, many of our members who had at least 20,000 miles in their accounts were able to roll their miles over into 1999 -- and those miles, of course, will not expire. As for members whose miles did expire on Dec. 31, 1998, they may have those miles credited back to their account after registration and taking the specified trips.''

Under these guidelines, all miles in a Mileage Plus member's account through 1999 will be valid until Dec. 31, 2002 and will expire on that date only if a member has no qualifying activity between Jan. 1, 2000 and Dec. 31, 2002. As of Jan. 1, 2000, a new 36-month non-expiration period will begin each time a member has qualifying account activity by earning or redeeming miles.

Information on mileage reinstatement and registration will be available on Thurs., Aug. 12, at http://offers.mileageplus.com/mpw049 or by calling 1-800-645-4502 (enter promotion code 49).

To keep miles active in the future, a qualifying activity is required. A qualifying activity is any activity by which members earn or redeem miles, including the following:

-- Taking a paid flight on United, United Shuttle, United Express, Star Alliance members or other airline partners (more than 20 participating airlines)
-- Making a purchase with a Mileage Plus Visa/Mastercard
-- Earning miles on long-distance calls with MCI WorldCom
-- Staying at any of the 27 Mileage Plus hotel partners
-- Renting a vehicle through any of the 8 Mileage Plus car rental partners
-- Taking a paid cruise on any of the 4 Mileage Plus cruise line partners
-- Redeeming miles for a Mileage Plus award
-- Using thousands of other partners and service providers that offer Mileage Plus miles

As the largest air carrier in the world and the largest majority employee-owned company, United Airlines offers more than 2,400 flights a day to 134 destinations in 27 countries and one U.S. territory. Mileage Plus, with more than 37 million enrolled members, has been named the best frequent flyer program by Business Traveler International magazine in 1996, 1997 and 1998. In addition, Mileage Plus was recognized by Conde Nast Traveler magazine for frequent flyer privileges in 1998. Program guidelines are available to customers on United's web site, www.ual.com .

SOURCE: United Airlines
Old Aug 10, 1999, 11:01 am
jet

Programs: UA MM; DL SPG HH Gold
Great news, I suppose. But now UA has to think of a "replacement" benefit for PremEx's that just "lost" this benefit.
Old Aug 10, 1999, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yeah Jet. And also for Million Milers who's major benefit was never expiring miles!

But all in all...way to go United!
Old Aug 10, 1999, 1:33 pm
Commander Catcop

As I posted elsewhere, I signed up for the non-expiring miles and it worked right at the link posted (although it's NOT the 12th!)

I'm almost sure I don't have expiring miles, all gone for upgrades!
Old Aug 10, 1999, 6:49 pm

Programs: UA Gold Million Miler, HH Gold, Marriott Gold
It sure took United long enough to decide. Why does it seem to take less time to reduce benefits than add them??? Tis a puzzlement.
Old Aug 12, 1999, 9:17 am
Original Member

I'm just thankful UA has finally taken the plunge and gotten with the program. I won't be PremEx status forever, and don't want to be forced to use award travel sooner than necessary to avoid mileage expiration.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.