Old May 4, 1999, 12:53 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA MM *G. Continental *G
A. PE (9yrs)
B. EWR
C. 3
D. 2
E. 1
F. This is par for the course. I make about 8 domestic and 3 international trips each year. I can recall only twice that I failed to get an upgrade, once was because of a change from the B757 to the A320. I ascribe my success rate to early booking (or calling in the old days) and picking flights carefully (avoiding A320s). Upgrades on transcons have bcome easier with the use of 3-class 767s. The better seating makes up for the loss of mixed nuts.

[This message has been edited by hsilbiger (edited 05-04-99).]
Old May 4, 1999, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, I'm afraid my 100% success rate on Upgrades since March 1st may be about to end. On an IAD-LAX run the middle of this month, I booked a specific flight to avoid an Airbus 320 (12 First Class seats) in favor of one that was a 757 (24 First Class seats). I find out today that United has switched equipment on this flight to an Airbus 319 (only 8 First Class seats)! I've not given up yet, but sometimes, no matter how hard you try, the airline Gods are just against you.

On the good news side, I cleared the 100 hour list for my Hawaii flight this weekend! Yipee! And with this trip I'll hold the honor of being the first FlyerTalker to meet TropicalFlyer in person at the HNL Red Carpet Club, as she flys out about an hour after my flight gets in. Sorry Matt, I beat you by a week!
Old May 4, 1999, 10:39 pm
In Memoriam, Original Member

I too am not confirmed for my flight next Friday between IAD-LAX on that A319. UA told me all first seats were "confirmed" full; full fare first space was not even open. I do not want to spend 4 hrs in coach on an A319. But thanks to megamiles (THANK YOU), I will try to upgrade a YUL-LAX AC flight.
Old May 18, 1999, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Saints preserve us! My 100% upgrade rate still stands! My IAD-LAX Airbus (only 8 FC seats) flight cleared the waitlist (24 hours in advance...whew)! Actually, once I had the seat I rather liked the 319's 8 seats. Row 1 has more legroom than usual and a bulkhead indent on both sides. Plus only having 8 passengers really gave us extra special attention. But I don't think that's enough of a reason to go out of your way to book on it (unless you're using a Confirmed award).
Old Aug 7, 1999, 1:04 pm
Original Member

Of course, all of this is difficult to measure, now isn't it? I am still waiting on upgrade coupons for the 4th Quarter of 1998, so I have zero upgrades based upon coupons.

And, when will UA have electronic upgrades, like DL ?
Old Aug 7, 1999, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

JGill, I hope never.

- Paper certs transferable for gifts/trade.
- Paper certs are often not collected.
- Paper certs are often collected less than required.
- Paper certs can sometimes upgrade more than one companion.

Blessing In Disguise: If you haven't received your certs, simply call MP Service Center and they will send them out by First Class mail, and if you are nice, often with a few extra sets for your incovienience.

Blessing In Disquise #2: Later you will sometimes finally receive your original certs in addition to the special mailing mentioned above. When you call MP to ask if you should return the duplicates, I have always been told: "No...just keep 'em for your inconvienience."
Old Aug 7, 1999, 1:42 pm
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
I am not favoring electronic upgrades - I do profit too many times from upgrades without having to give the right amount or the appropiate kind of upgrade voucher/miles as long as it depends of the airline-person vis--vis.
Old Aug 8, 1999, 10:02 am
Original Member

Thanks for the tip. I just called, and MP advised that they sent me a "book" with my April statement. Hmm. I don't recall seeing anything, but, hey, I might have thrown it away. In any event they are sending me a replacement set.

So, what should I look for in my statement. MP said that I would receive another book in my June statement "to be mailed in a week or two."

Old Aug 8, 1999, 12:48 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: UA1K MM, HHonors Diamond + many more
A. Premier (Make Premex on my flight back from FRA)
B. SJC
C. 20
D. 15
E. 0

Last year made Premier by flying to MSP via SJC-IAD-FRA-ORD-MSP, mind you my coworkers in BOS thought I was nuts. I had only started flying UA in Sept with a flight to SIN so I needed miles to make Premier. The ratio of upgrades tend to be a little smaller out of SJC because of the smaller aircraft used. Overall I can't really complain except on some 6hr ones from BOS - SJC on a Friday always full.
Old Aug 8, 1999, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
LAX
15 (mostly Intl to Europe)
N/A
Same
Old Aug 9, 1999, 12:17 pm

Location: DEN, UA PE, Hilton Gold, ** Reactivate Delete Feature**
Premier (as of end of June)
DEN
none
N/A

Batting 1.000 so far. These have all been pleasure flights on weekends where I've been completely free to select which flights and have not had heavy competition from business travel. I suspect my average will plunge when I start trying this on my Mon-Fri trips DEN-BOS
Old Aug 9, 1999, 12:26 pm

Programs: UA
A. General
B. IAD
C. 1
D. 1
E. 0
F. N/A - I flew AA last years. 1 comp upgrade out of 4 segments on IAD-LAX trip on Y fares. On UA, 0 out of 5 segments on the same route on Y fares. Used miles to upgrade.

P.S. Looks like I'm the only non-Premier member to post this thread so far.

------------------
Dan
Old Aug 9, 1999, 2:27 pm
pgupta011

As a PE I am finding it harder to upgrade than when I was 1K. What makes it harder for me is that I usually travel on "peak business days". Also, I have had to make some last minute changes on return dates, and did not get upgraded on those since the upgrades had already been allocated (and I am behind 1Ks on the standbys, and not full fare either so behind some other PEs as well).

[This message has been edited by pgupta011 (edited 08-09-1999).]

Old Aug 9, 1999, 3:55 pm
Original Member

just add 4 for 4 ATL-IAD-SEA round trip.
Old Aug 9, 1999, 5:12 pm

Programs: UA MP, AA Advantage, IHG, HH
A: 1K
B: CVG or SFO
C: 5 (Mostly TransPacific travel)
D: 5
E: 2
F: Have remained 1K for 6 years, nearly always upgraded on almost every flight. UA's upgraded software/reservations system has made this better.

------------------
Getting Closer to The Million Mile Dream!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.